Paddy's Market loses its licence

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Paddy's Market loses its licence

Postby Riotgrrl » Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 am

I have to walk by Paddy's every morning on my way to work. Those of you waxing nostalgic about 'Glasgow traditions' and the like might like to try it. There is a morning heroin drop-off there obviously, and you have to dodge between the living dead and the overflowing bins to get along the pavement at all. Snarling junkies at 0855 in the morning is not a great way to start your day. The Police bust it whenever they have the spare personpower, and those days are slightly better. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the guys trading from the arches; it's the fact that it is an open drugs market that is unacceptable.

Do we really need an open and known drugs market in the centre of Glasgow?

Walking back from work, the drug addicts are raiding the big street bins to pick out anything too trashy for the Paddys Market sellers to sell. Not an edifying sight. Glasgow remains in denial about how many heroin addicts we have, and how low heroin addiction takes people. Pump them full of methadone and pretend they don't exist. Well they do exist, and they hang around at Paddy's intimidating people and frightening the children.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cupcake » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi All
I am new here and I got to say this is brilliant forum takes me right back.
Seeing picture of paddy` market brings back yukie memories :)
My mum used to say come on down P & M Boutique i hated I used to feel
so scared there and used to think I would come out with fleas.
I do think it awful sad if they take it away, to much of our history being taken
all ready.
cupcake
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:36 am

Riotgrrl wrote: It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the guys trading from the arches; it's the fact that it is an open drugs market that is unacceptable.

Do we really need an open and known drugs market in the centre of Glasgow?

Walking back from work, the drug addicts are raiding the big street bins to pick out anything too trashy for the Paddys Market sellers to sell. Not an edifying sight. Glasgow remains in denial about how many heroin addicts we have, and how low heroin addiction takes people. Pump them full of methadone and pretend they don't exist. Well they do exist, and they hang around at Paddy's intimidating people and frightening the children.

Intimidating people and frightening the children, fuck sake.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cupcake » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi again
You Know I didnt know that about how bad drugs is there,
just goes to show how nieve alot of are we walk about with blinkers on
involed in our own stuff .
You have made me rethink on this one and yes i would agree to close it,
it was just a childhood memory and when you look at pictures it is really a horrible site.
many thanks for bringing all this to attention, it is nice to have some of old glasgow
kept alive but not if it is causing this to happen, but then again where will the drug people move to next.
cupcake
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fourbytwo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:52 pm

8O Cupcake hits the nail on the head, Paddy's as an attraction is dead, Paddy's as a source of cheap and cheerful goods, is still supplying a service, Paddy's as a source for druggies and assorted 'bad guys', will probably remain a source for undesirables, until cleared.....
With demolition, the problem 'seems' to go away, but does it really...?
Up-market tearooms, posh-nosh cafes, a middle-class customised market, more shops selling goods the 'wee glesca woman' cannot afford......
Even with the Council throwing more money at the area, to balance the previous 'shambles' of the Briggait, and advertising it as now worthy of attracting business, the issue of where the 'unwashed elements' will have to go.....remains the mystery.
Cupcake (stuart) will remember some of his earlier artworks showed images of the wino, the wains, the characters around the area of Paddy's and the Saltmarket, and as such were viewed as social comments of the time and city.
I wonder if future artists may have the same vision, when the Council and interests, sanatize the areas with their images of the perfect city environment...?
The big problem then becomes......what else will have to be castrated to fit this new image of Glasgow....?
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cupcake » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:20 pm

I just think it awfull sad that Glagow chaning so quick, I know it looks horrible down P&M but there are some really
nice buildings they are demolishing that I think is what makes Glasgow.
Look at the Gorbals how quick it changed ( I shouldny complain my man buit there :))
But before you know it we will be forced into those big shopping malls (I bloody hate them) and then argyle street bucahanan street and all that heritage will dissapear, I mean look at argyle street now it has chaned so much
with all those pound shops ( I not downing them i love them but not all the way down argyle street)
awe i better shutup, will just go on and on.
cupcake
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:52 pm

fourbytwo wrote:Cupcake (stuart) will remember some of his earlier artworks showed images of the wino, the wains, the characters around the area of Paddy's and the Saltmarket, and as such were viewed as social comments of the time and city.

WOA WOA! Haud on a minutE! I am Stuart who does drawins, I am not Cupcake nor do I share the views of cupcakes posts. Nae offence like.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cupcake » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:16 pm

My god you in a panic there man, You would think my in my views I asked somebody to commit murder
cupcake
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 pm

^ Ah dae agree wi some ae them right enough, readin them again.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cupcake » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:32 pm

awe bless thank you, i didnt think i was that bad in my views , I do agree with you about the drugs,
and after looking at photos of it I did say it was a mess (words to that effect)
anyway thanks
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 am

Sydney Rosewater wrote:
WOA WOA! Haud on a minutE! I am Stuart who does drawins, I am not Cupcake nor do I share the views of cupcakes posts. Nae offence like.

I always had you down as one of those chocolate cornflake things, personally.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Not a problem cupcake....when I saw that the SM website was on your post, I wrongly assumed that Cupcake and the SM I remember were the same person.....not a great worry, seems the opinions are much on parallel.....
also thought by entering cupcakes post page, would have been able to send private message to him....not a problem will look at another avenue.....
perhaps the real SM will contact me..............
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm

cupcake wrote: I do agree with you about the drugs,
and after looking at photos of it I did say it was a mess (words to that effect)
anyway thanks

It wasny me that said aboot the drugs either, that wiz Riot Grrl. I like paddys.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cupcake » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 pm

just ignore me my head all over the place getting all mixed up with names so sorry
cupcake
cupcake
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 pm

^ Nae bother, it's aright.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)