Paddy's Market loses its licence

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 am

crusty_bint wrote:Answer honestly: who here has ever bought anything from Paddys Market? Who here would genuinely mourn its loss?

Bought bits & pieces when I was a kid. Only been there a couple of times in the last 20 years. Wasn't impressed, it's mostly all pound store type crap nowadays, and has a sort of ugly atmosphere.
But, a part of me would be sorry to see it go, purely for nostalga reasons.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoused will » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:01 pm

Where are the smack eds gonna gather now.

Not as if theres a direct train to the pool anymore. :cry:
"...I fail to see what sort of discussion or reaction you are trying to initiate..."
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:17 am

i buy stuff all the time, down there. i love it, theres a few dodgy sellers but none more than you would get at a car boot sale.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:56 am

crusty_bint wrote:Answer honestly: who here has ever bought anything from Paddys Market? Who here would genuinely mourn its loss?

I have, loads. And yep I would.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AndrewM » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:04 pm

dave2 wrote:
From http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/disp ... 73.0.0.php
HISTORIC Paddy's Market in Glasgow has become a "crime-ridden mess" which must be closed down, a leading councillor said today.

And he says it is costing taxpayers nearly £300,000 a year to clean it up.

"Network Rail gets £130,000 a year in rent from the market traders," said Mr Matheson, "but not a single one of them has applied for a market trader's licence.

"It is estimated it costs the public purse £277,000 a year to clean up an area which has become a crime ridden midden.

I don't understand this, if Network Rail own the site why are Glasgow City Council spending fortunes cleaning it up. If a market operated by NR is causing litter why are the Council billing NR.

Is it just the case that Glasgow City Council don't like it and want it closed? I remember visiting it as a kid many years ago and I have no wish to go back. Just because certain groups of people don't like something doesn't mean it should be closed down. It's part of our heritage.
AndrewM
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dave2 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:06 pm

The councillor may be being slightly duplicitous in saying the public purse, since that would also include NR as a public company! Also he fails to mention how much 'the public purse' gets in stallholder fees etc.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:53 pm

Socceroo wrote:Does anyone know when Paddy's Market started?

Some of the recent newspaper articles say 200 years ago but i recall reading in a book somewhere that it was older and had actually moved to it's present site about 200 years ago..

I guess this was the original:

View from the Justiciary Court roof north across the Green, including the Clothes Market and St Andrew's Church steeple (Annan)
Date n.d. c.1875

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Paddy's Market loses its licence

Postby Mori » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:49 pm

ET

End of the line for Paddy’s Market

GLASGOW'S Paddy's Market is to be transformed from a "crime-ridden midden" to an international tourist attraction.

The Evening Times has learned that the rundown site near the Merchant City could become a "mini-Camden Market" - London's most popular open-air market.

It's hoped the illegal traders and drug dealers who blight the market will be replaced by aspiring artists of different ethnic backgrounds.
Discussions are at an advanced stage to allow the city council to take over the lease from site owners Network Rail.
When the deal is complete, the council will clear the second-hand traders from the site in Shipbank Lane.
The council then plans to use the area to house council offices and to sub-let property to arts and business organisations.

Image Image Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm

It is a shit hole. I do think this will be a great idea for the area.
They might have to move the hostel on the river front first.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:23 pm

^ You're aff yer heid.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:42 pm

::): you always get a bargain 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Marxism Today

Postby MungoDundas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:58 pm

Christ! I've needed an isolator switch at 2.30pm on a Saturday when all the electrical suppliers are shut ~ the guy at Paddy's Market is open, friendly and helpful with the appropriate switch available at a keen price.

The people that will benefit from Paddy's closing are who exactly?

If crims, drug dealers & general twatts are a problem, then why don't the Ecilop just do their job, like what we pay them sweetly to do?

The fugees I see rummaging through the clothing shite there are (one gathers) unable to avail themselves of that superior retail experience that may well be available at Buchanan Galleries.

I find that desirable far eastern kiddie toys are more favourably priced at PM than certain 'high street' retailers.

Note: I could go into wan here - whereby every normal Scottish town has a Main Street (cf English : High St) except daft Glesga that has a bit of Castle St (no castle), a bit of High St (getting better thesedays) & then Saltmarker (daren't).

But then again, Edinburgh has a High St too? Our big sweet friend to the East is sadly so silmilar to us, however maybe the nearest thing to Paddy's Market for those pure barry gadgies would likely be the Architectural Salavge yard by Portobello?

As always, stand to be corrected by the older & wiser ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, for no particular reason, their follows Glasgow funk;
http://www.myspace.com/johnfreestone
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:04 pm

^ Well said.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:18 am

The council then plans to use the area to house council offices and to sub-let property to arts and business organisations.
Just like the fishmarket?? Clueless twarts.
Paddy's Market is an integral part of whatever Glasgow is.
Latte in the arches? - no thanks! Where's the wee guy who sold used women's underwear and drugs?? 8O
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:01 am

Main Street (cf English : High St)

Nope, a common misconception. High Street is a typical term in former Royal Burghs in Scotland; nothing to do with England/Anglicisation.

Friends of mine have told me of skiving/dogging school to go to a greasy spoon cafe on the High Street in Edinburgh; now there's nothing but tartan gonk shops. Such is progress. I hope somebody stumbles on the magic formula for sprucing up city areas (wherever they may be) without turning them into bland air-conditioned nightmares...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)