Paddy's Market loses its licence

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Paddy's Market loses its licence

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri May 15, 2009 5:04 pm

P.S. Struck by a thought.

I was told by Glasgow parks dept (whatever it's called now) that they couldn't shut the gates of Queens Park at night because of the freedom to roam legislation. This was before Moira Jones was raped and murdered in the park, having been dragged in through an open gate.

So how come is it that they can block off the lane that Paddys was on? Does the legislation not apply to it?
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri May 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:P.S. Struck by a thought.

I was told by Glasgow parks dept (whatever it's called now) that they couldn't shut the gates of Queens Park at night because of the freedom to roam legislation. This was before Moira Jones was raped and murdered in the park, having been dragged in through an open gate.

So how come is it that they can block off the lane that Paddys was on? Does the legislation not apply to it?

I think the parks dept. needs to get new legal advice. (At least one other city still shuts its gated parks at night.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri May 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:

I think the parks dept. needs to get new legal advice. (At least one other city still shuts its gated parks at night.)

I'd heard that. Also that the Botanics has its gates shut at night.

I live near Queens Park and in 2007 was involved when a girl was dragged into the park and a man attempted to rape her. At the time I wrote to the council and asked them to shut at least some of the gates at night and got told it was impossible because of the freedom to roam legislation.

When the issue was raised with them again in 2009 after Moira Jones they said the same, and they also said they couldn't shut the gates as there is housing inside the park (Which there is . . but not at every single gate.)

I've been told - NOT by the council - that the park is kept open for cost reasons.

This means that the underage drinkers and potential rapists are free to come and go at will through all the dark gates down side streets, none of which have CCTV or other security.

Anyway . . Paddy's shut down, eh? (Don't want to get a row for going off topic!)

The big metal gates and padlocks seem a bit OTT to me.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby shuffle » Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:

I'd heard that. Also that the Botanics has its gates shut at night.

I live near Queens Park and in 2007 was involved when a girl was dragged into the park and a man attempted to rape her. At the time I wrote to the council and asked them to shut at least some of the gates at night and got told it was impossible because of the freedom to roam legislation.

When the issue was raised with them again in 2009 after Moira Jones they said the same, and they also said they couldn't shut the gates as there is housing inside the park (Which there is . . but not at every single gate.)

I've been told - NOT by the council - that the park is kept open for cost reasons.

This means that the underage drinkers and potential rapists are free to come and go at will through all the dark gates down side streets, none of which have CCTV or other security.

Anyway . . Paddy's shut down, eh? (Don't want to get a row for going off topic!)

The big metal gates and padlocks seem a bit OTT to me.

If someones going out to rape and the park gates are locked I'm pretty sure they'll find somewhere else to do it, ditto the underage drinking.
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Shuffle, of course.

But if you have only one or two gates open, perhaps with CCTV at them, it at least offers some protection.

I'm not sure why Paddy's is gated off. If the market's closed it's just a lane . . why can't we walk down it?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby shuffle » Fri May 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:Shuffle, of course.

But if you have only one or two gates open, perhaps with CCTV at them, it at least offers some protection.

I'm not sure why Paddy's is gated off. If the market's closed it's just a lane . . why can't we walk down it?

Probably so there's no feeble attempt at a protest.
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 pm

cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat May 16, 2009 10:32 pm

Aye.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:31 am

doesnt network rail own the land as well as the units under the railway?

also the scottish courts may have something to do with it seing the market backed onto the high court
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Sun May 17, 2009 9:02 am

well there goes nothing I say!
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Item 16

Purpose of Report:
To advise the Committee of outline terms and conditions agreed for the lease of the property at

Shipbank Lane (Paddy’s Market)

Recommendation:

That the Committee
• approves the lease terms proposed for Shipbank Lane, as proposed in the report;
• authorises the Executive Director of DRS to sub-let the property to
businesses and organisations, as allowed for within the lease.

1. BACKGROUND

1.1 On 20 March 2008 the Executive Committee considered a report which detailed a range of
issues relating to the operation of the market in Shipbank Lane (commonly known as
Paddy’s Market, and authorised the Director of DRS to negotiate with the property owners
(Network Rail) to take a lease on the property.

2. HISTORY

2.1 The railway arches at Shipbank Lane (Paddy’s Market) are owned by Network Rail. The
properties are currently leased to a range of individuals and businesses on an annual
basis. Network rail receives approximately £130,000pa exclusive of VAT in rental income.
2.2 The development and regeneration of this area of the City is gathering momentum with :
• the St Enoch Centre redevelopment/expansion underway
• the Customhouse Quay Gardens proposals being advanced
• proposals being developed by 2 separate developers for commercial/residential
developments in areas adjacent to the Briggait,
• the WASPS Trust redevelopment of the Briggait about to commence.
• Network Rail considering their longer term proposals for the development of their
property holdings in this area.
2.3 By taking on a lease of the subjects, with vacant possession, it is anticipated that the
Council can positively raise the profile of the area over the next 5 years by using the
subjects for a range of uses including operational requirements, the possible operation of a
new street market under the management of the City Markets LLP, and an Arts related
development to complement the proposals for the Briggait and the Visual Arts Strategy
development at King Street.
2.4 The Board of the City Markets LLP have already instructed their Markets Manager to bring
forward a proposal on how City markets could sub-let the property from the Council and
manage them as part do their own markets business.
3. PRESENT POSITION
3.1 Negotiations with Network Rail have been completed and outline terms and conditions
agreed in principle for the lease of the subjects as detailed below. Network Rail has
agreed to a reduction in rent in order to allow the Council to take over the arches on a
vacant possession basis and thereafter control the type of tenant and use that is permitted
within the arches area. This will give the Council full control over the area, leading to the
potential generation of new income and a reduction in operational costs. In 2006/07 for
example the Council incurred costs of £110,000 (cleansing costs of £80,000 and trading
standards costs of £30,000); Strathclyde Police incurred costs of £95,000, HM Customs
and Excise incurred costs of £42,000, and FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft)
incurred costs of £30,000.
L:\Cmtserv\EXECUTIVE\MEETINGS\2008\12 September\Item 16.doc
4. PRINCIPAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The subjects of let to comprise the 14 railway arches at 2 to 28 Shipbank Lane, the 8
railway arches at 2 to 28 Bridgegate and the solum of Shipbank Lane (as shown on
the enclosed plan).
2. The lease shall be for the period of 5 years from the date of entry.
3. The rent shall be One Hundred Thousand pounds (£100,000) sterling per annum
exclusive of VAT.
4. The tenant will be entitled to sub-let the premises in whole or in part without the prior
consent of the landlord subject to the use of the sub-let premises being within the
scope of term 5 above.
5. Other standard terms and conditions generally applicable to a lease of this nature.

5. SERVICE IMPLICATIONS

Financial: Rent of £100,000pa to be paid by the Council. This will be offset by
sub-rentals. Council will also save on costs identified in para 3.1.
Legal: Lease to Council to be formalised.
Personnel: N/A
Service Plan: Improving the environment of the Shipbank Lane (Paddy’s Market) area
contributes to the aims of Service Priority 6.2, the City Centre Action
Plan. Proposal also supports the objectives of the Merchant City Action
Plan.
Environmental: None
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Sun May 17, 2009 7:45 pm

wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Is that Elaine C Smith ?
Where is she going for holidays ?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 pm

I think the question's more where's she been, that's a helluva tan!
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)