Exiled in Wales

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Exiled in Wales

Postby Rabbie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:21 pm

Ahoy there, me lost shipmates!

Great to find a forum like this at last, having had a good root though almost feel I have never left Gleasga, how I miss Gleasga patter, humour and the vibrance of the people. Totally unique.

Jist wee bit about myself. Nae, too much.

I was born in Toonheid, 3 flights up the close of 61 Alexandra Parade in 1957. Learned to swim early due to falling in canal a few dozen times. Climbing high dikes, jumping dunnies and trying to wack on them backcourt walls with slippy saugage shaped capping. LETHAL!

Anyone else remember when raking the bins for beer bottles to take back to the offie for a pennie, the acrid stench of ash and rotten tottie peelings. Realing mingin' but me me real hungry.

Or wit aboot, going round chapping on doors; "Any empty ginger bottles pleeze Missus?!"

Sadly, as many of us know, toonheid and other districts was wrecked by some half tubed eejits idea to bull a motorway thro the place.

I recall work starting on this on the canalbank in 65/66 was a great playground! Trying to start up diggers, getting chased fur yer life by some auld watchie. Halcyon days indeedy.

Sadly, did not realise at the time the socail consequences of thoseneds actions. Taking a whole street then sticking it on end in the form of tower blocks. Isolation, so sad. Destroyed the closeness and socail fabric of whole communities.. B'stards!

I went to Golfhill primary 62 - 69, dogged it mostly and went on knocking sprees in Lewiss' M&S and Woolies, got loads of beltings. I really did get the belt more times that I had hot dinners.

During this time <66 - 67> spent a year in care in Castlemilk Home <demolished 1970>. Even made the newpaper during this time, 6 of us run away from the home for a few days, got caught taken back and had our arses skelped, Ahh, those where the days!

Was up there in 02, some community centre thing now on site, but some ruins remain! Council vandalism, they should preserve our heritage!

From 69 -74, I went to Whitehill Sec, not much to say about that , except that is now demolished :) That did not deserve preserving, I am sure many who attended this. may testify to that. Still, looking back was a fun experaince, beltings excepted.

Got kicked out of there in '74 and started work in Fyfe and Mc Grouthers in Kennedy St. Got me jotters from there, as was too busy letching the office lassies to do me work *haha* Was a crap job anyway, shuffling paper bleh.

Anyway, I joined RAF in '76 and literally took flight, too much to blether aboot there.

Cutting to the chase, banged out an aircraft over Wales, was captured by a native fire breathing dragon and got hitched.

I am now living near St David's with the missus and 2 teenage <pulls hair out>. I am sure teenages are inflicted on us as a punishment for our sins in earlier life.

*Apoligies to Mr Johnson* RIP, Golfhill Heidmaister for causing his nervous breakdown, grumpy auld git :)! You know, the cheeky auld coffin dodger had the nerve to call me a NED.

I always feel the need to touch base and often have a maddy and pop up the road to see how the old place is doing, nice to see the Gravvie <Necropolis> aint changed.
Just has a few more permanant residents. Sad to see signs of ned activity littering the place; cider bottles, tin foil, needles and other drug taking parawhatsitmacalled.

Well, I best get back to the graft, got the washin up to dae before the boss gets hame

Cheer Rabbie.
bfore she get hame.
Rabbie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Exiled in Wales

Postby Ronnie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:27 pm

Rabbie wrote:Anyone else remember the acrid stench of ash and rotten tottie peelings. Realing mingin' but me me real hungry.

I always feel the need to touch base and often have a maddy and pop up the road to see how the old place is doing, nice to see the Gravvie <Necropolis> aint changed.

Hi Rabbie

You have brought back my days of Maryhill midgey-raking, in full glorious smell-a-vision. I'm going to have to have my tea now.

And I was intrigued by your reference to the Necropolis, in which I have a slight interest. Was that pronounced "gravy" as in sauce, or "gravvie" as in navvy? I was just thinking the other day how the old place doesn't have a nickname ...

Anyway, really enjoyed reading your story, and glad to hear you're still making the odd sentimental journey back. Come and join us on one of our jaunts.

Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:50 am

St.Davids is a nice place, have visited there a few times and is a real retreat from the city. Whitesands is brilliant, horse riding is reasonably priced and available in season. Walked from St.Davids to Haverfordwest a good few times. The locals are the salt of this earth, real friendly folk.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:48 pm

Common for graveyards to be called Gravys by the local kids..

Wasnt it graet when you found a lucky midgie...
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)