High St bend

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: High St bend

Postby Huggy » Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Been a while but the High Street fire last week rings a bell. The Bell o the Brae is named from that steep section of the High Street being made anciently into a "Bell" or "S" shape to enable heavily laden carts to get up the hill, a direct route being near impossible for the horses then. Even so It was still a problem when I was young and the Corporation Trace Horses stood near the burned-oot College Bar to be hitched onto carts too heavy for their horses to pull up that steep hill which extends from the Kelvin eastward to way beyond Shettleston.
The butchers will be a very sad loss, his steak pies were superb!

Bests,
Huggy.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 am

was at that exact spot on Saturday huggy and it threw up a memory from 1979 when we were seconded to the high st goods yard to do some work there.the gaffer took us into the old college bar where we were treated to a big plate of stovies.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Wed May 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Banjo you get all the best gigs dontcha, your just jammy!
Well done!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed May 12, 2021 5:57 pm

you could say I have lived a charmed life henrysix(so far) long may it continue.although a hole in one at the golf has always eluded me.i had two non golfing buddies years ago and I convinced them to take it up and taught them the basics when they did.they are now way better than me and both have had a hole in one.moi,jealous naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)