Dees of Trongate

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Dees of Trongate

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:02 pm

Dees of Trongate
There cant be anyone who’s never got something from Dee’s
I’ve been told that they have been compulsory purchased (Selfridges have bought the whole) and have to move out soon. So get yer cameras and go down for a visit before its gone.
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby james73 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:19 pm

I went for a job interview there once. :oops: - manager was a big
fat guy, who remembered me ages later when I bought a trouser belt
out of there.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:38 pm

yeh thats right . did he not sit on a bar stool chair right at the till. wore specs I think. :?
If remember right all the stock they sold was in the window and you asked what you wanted and they went out back to get it....
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Craigyboy7 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:27 am

Hi, Yea i've been in there and i remeber the manager at the stool, there was also another dee's in clydebank but its gone now!
Craigyboy7
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:48 pm

Never went in myself, I was always too scared as it looked really small and as if you had to buy something.

It would be good for some pics for posterity.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:43 am

In the 70's it was more of a Ted hangout and had a good selection of "Brothel Creepers" in the window. In my youth i bought a pair of "Winklepickers" from there. The staff at that time were like ageing Teds.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby putty shankleton » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:44 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:yeh thats right . did he not sit on a bar stool chair right at the till. wore specs I think. :?
If remember right all the stock they sold was in the window and you asked what you wanted and they went out back to get it....

He once told me that he used to be a Lawyer..
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:36 am

Dee's was the place for Ted gear right enough, and strangely when there was a brief Mod revival in 1979 it was about the only place you could get that gear too. They always had stock of Fred Perrys, bowling shoes, Sta-Pressed and Harringtons when everyone else had stopped doing them and the same was true of brothel creepers, although my first pair (in 1977 after I'd seen the Pistols were 'em) came from Gordons, which was (I think) in Stockwell Street, more or less where the side of the St Enoch centre is now but I'll stand to be corrected on that. Blue suede winkle pickers with 2" crepe soles and silver side buckles. Sigh.
Come to think of it, when I was briefly a Mod, my black suede chucka boots with wrap-around 1" Crepe Mud guard came from Gordons, too, after a titanic struggle with my mum (who had never liked Mods).
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Dees

Postby hazy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:11 am

Just read this and what a memorys I was at a party last night and I was trying to tell my 16 year old about this shop.. Does any body remember the embarassment of the £20 provy cheque. And how you got a full rig out. And if they never had it you could go to Chelsa Boy or Crazy House. O bring back the summer 78.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Dee of Trongate

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm

It was a mod shop in the sixties and had a third branch in Dumbarton road in Partick. I still pop in for bargain Ben Sherman shirt. I believe they still have Desert Boots, Harrington jackets and Dr. Martens as well as catering for today's style conscious youth. Staff are always particularly helpful.

But rangers fans apparently have difficulty with the shop. I think it's the insistence of paying for the goods before leaving the premises.

http://hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=330&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

http://ww1.eveningtimes.co.uk/lo/features/7013657.html
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Dee of Trongate

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:17 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It was a mod shop in the sixties

Indeed it was, Dex. I remember getting kitted out at Dee's in Clydebank, Grey (stay press) trousers, short sleeved white shirt (buttoned down collar) & blue or black Blazer with badge of your choice sewn on. The manager attended the same school as I did (only earlier, I was in the same class as his wee brother) Their niece eventualy married my brother.

Still never got a discount, miserable baistirt
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 am

HollowHorn wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:It was a mod shop in the sixties

Indeed it was, Dex. I remember getting kitted out at Dee's in Clydebank, Grey (stay press) trousers, short sleeved white shirt (buttoned down collar) & blue or black Blazer with badge of your choice sewn on. The manager attended the same school as I did (only earlier, I was in the same class as his wee brother) Their niece eventualy married my brother.

Still never got a discount, miserable baistirt

was that for your First Holy Communion or your confirmation?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

dees

Postby hazy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:46 am

Is that not you in the middle Dex holding the flowers
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:was that for your First Holy Communion or your confirmation?

Cheeky monkey Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dynamo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:33 pm

I used to get my back-to-school gear there 8)

Not been in it for years though as the "helpful" staff don;t leave you alone and you can't have a good look about.
Dynamo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)