New York Style Graffiti Trains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New York Style Graffiti Trains

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:34 pm

Maybe I've been slow to notice this, but just in the last few months I've seen more and more train carriages and wagons adorned with New York style graffiti.

Certainly at the rail yard just outside Motherwell station there are a few striking examples and also at Mossend Euro Terminal many of the coal wagons have suddenly sprouted colourful designs. There's clearly a talented group of graffiti artists in the area and they have been pretty busy.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this is a relatively 'new' thing in the Glasgow (I've not noticed anything like this before) and if it is just confined to the local Lanarkshire area.

It would be cool if someone could get some pictures of the best examples.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: New York Style Graffiti Trains

Postby caine » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:04 am

KonstantinL wrote:Anyway, I was just wondering if this is a relatively 'new' thing in the Glasgow (I've not noticed anything like this before) and if it is just confined to the local Lanarkshire area.

painters/graffers/vandels/whatever you want to call them in glasgow go way back, but even in my day there was not much access to do trains in glasgow and security was tight at the yards, and a rare venture into the underground depot was pointless as the rolling stock was just not used until the pieces were removed which defeats the purpose of risking your neck if its not going to pull into the hillhead station to a chorus of ooo's and ah's and smiles from knowing faces.

maybe Relience have branced out into property security if theres more trains being painted in glasgow.... :wink:

although that depends on what you mean by graffiti. was it full pieces or just shitty little tags?
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:57 pm

KonstantinL wrote:
the rail yard just outside Motherwell station there are a few striking examples and also at Mossend Euro Terminal.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this is a relatively 'new' thing in the Glasgow (I've not noticed anything like this before) and if it is just confined to the local Lanarkshire area.

Considering a fair amount of traffic handled at Mossend Euro Terminal is from the continent via the Chunnel some of it may be from France / Spain and further afield, I suspect most of it originates in England though.

I've seen a few painted coaches in the past couple of years (one in particular was a masterpiece in my opinion) but it's removed as quickly as it's discovered. So don't expect to see 'New York Style' Graff becoming the norm.

Not a particularly clever hobby in my book not to mention dangerous.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SnakeCorp » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:02 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Not a particularly clever hobby in my book not to mention dangerous.

<GRUMBLE>I agree. In that particular form, it's just vandalism and us poor bloody taxpayers have to foot the bill to clean it up.. </GRUMBLE>
SnakeCorp
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby 'Dukes » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:30 pm

NYC has been cleaned up lately. I've only been down there twice, but they tell me the subway (underground) isn't the hole it used to be. They started cracking down on small crimes like graff, and found that those involved with these activities were also involved with other more serious crimes.
I hate Graff; hate it. They don't pull that shit up here; we don't tolerate balloonheads like that.
Larger than life, yet twice as ugly
'Dukes
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:13 am

Was that part of their 'Zero Tollerance' campaign, 'Dukes?
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 'Dukes » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 am

PlasticDel wrote:Was that part of their 'Zero Tollerance' campaign, 'Dukes?

The management stopped playing footsie with the idiots.
In other words, you are correct sir.
Thank god I live outside th insanity that is NYC. I'm a mountain man myself.
Larger than life, yet twice as ugly
'Dukes
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby duncan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:28 am

'Dukes wrote:They started cracking down on small crimes like graff, and found that those involved with these activities were also involved with other more serious crimes.

really? serious crimes like.... murder, rape, armed robbery? can you give me a source on this at all.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby donjuan » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:44 am

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 am

duncan wrote:
'Dukes wrote:They started cracking down on small crimes like graff, and found that those involved with these activities were also involved with other more serious crimes.

really? serious crimes like.... murder, rape, armed robbery? can you give me a source on this at all.

::): Ah the power of the Interweb :D

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby SnakeCorp » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:22 pm

duncan wrote:

Found this on the Net:

"Researchers studying urban decay wanted to find out why some neighborhoods escape the ravages of the inner city, and others right next door—with the same demographics and economic makeup—would become a hell hole where the cops were scared to go in. They wanted to figure out what made the difference.

The researchers did a test. They took a nice car, like a Jaguar, and parked it in the South Bronx in New York. They retreated back to a duck blind, and watched to see what would happen. They left the car parked there for something like four days, and nothing happened. It wasn't touched. So they went up and broke a little window on the side, and went back to the blind. In something like four hours, the car was turned upside down, torched, and stripped—the whole works.

They did more studies and developed a "Broken Window Theory." A window gets broken at an apartment building, but no one fixes it. It's left broken. Then something else gets broken. Maybe it's an accident, maybe not, but it isn't fixed either. Graffiti starts to appear. More and more damage accumulates. Very quickly you get an exponential ramp. The whole building decays. Tenants move out. Crime moves in. And you've lost the game. It's all over."

If you Google for 'broken window theory', there's loads of stuff about it. Thinking about it, it's common sense really.
SnakeCorp
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby duncan » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:38 pm

ah yes, the notorious broken window theory, used as hardfast proof by Police and Local Authorities everywhere of the evilness of graffiti.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)