Canals

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Canals

Postby liquou » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey,

let me introduce myself,
so I'm a French student, my 4th year research subject deals with Glasgow urban growth. I'd like to find some informations about canals and in particular about the Glasgow Paisley Adrossan one, once ending in Port Eglinton.
Are there still evidence of that old canal? If anyone knows please tell me.
If so I'd like to take pictures.

Plus I have taken a picture of the Shack few months ago since I don't have my own website I can't share it. If someone is interested, wants to host it and make it appear let me know.

Thanks for your help.
J'aime Tori
liquou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby paladin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:14 pm

http://130.209.236.56/ewan/chronology/c ... sley_Canal

might provide some answers or links to more info./pictures etc.

It seems that the presence of the canal provided a readymade route for the Railway.
Good luck.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby liquou » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:28 pm

Paladin thanks for your help, I will try to follow the line.
J'aime Tori
liquou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james73 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:11 pm

More here: http://www.perryweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/canal/guide/gpj.html

The Paisley Canal Line

1st July 1885 - Paisley Canal line opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway on the route of the Ardrossan canal.

10th January 1983 - Passenger services on the Paisley Canal and Kilmacolm line ended.

10th November 1984 - The line from Hawkhead through Paisley Canal to Elderslie was completely closed.

28th July 1990 - The Paisley Canal route was reopened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Little remains of the Glasgow, Paisley and Johnstone Canal, which extended for 11 miles (17 km) from Johnstone to Port Eglinton (which no longer exists, but lay close to Eglinton Street, some ½ mile (1 km) south of Glasgow Bridge).

Promoted and partially funded by Hugh Montgomerie of Coilsfield, the 12th Earl of Eglinton (1739 - 1819), the canal cost some £130,000 to build. The engineers John Rennie (1761 - 1821) and Thomas Telford (1757 - 1834) were involved in planning the canal and John Ainslie (1745 - 1821) surveyed the route. Originally designed to reach the Ayrshire coast at Ardrossan, it was only built as far as Johnstone before funds ran out. This was a contour canal, which meant it was entirely level and needed no locks.

The canal transported a range of raw materials and finished good, such as coal, ironstone, bricks, slates timber, grain and textiles. Passenger traffic was also significant and novel express passenger boats were brought into service in 1830, pulled by six horses. This service carried up to 400,000 passengers each year and continued until the opening of the railways.

The canal was taken over by the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company in 1869 and was eventually closed by Act of Parliament in 1881. In that year a railway track was laid along the section between Glasgow and Paisley, a route now linking Glasgow Central to Paisley Canal station. The Blackhall Aqueduct survives as a railway bridge, but it is in the environs of the Ferguslie Thread Works in Paisley that the canal is best preserved.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:38 pm

Nice one James. Here's a small section of the canal shown on a map of Glasgow of 1863:

^Click for Larger^
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:25 am

liquou wrote: I will try to follow the line.

Vous souhaiter la chance avec vos etudes du canal liquou. :)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

canals

Postby liquou » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:49 pm

Thank you all for your answers. :P
J'aime Tori
liquou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: canals

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:52 pm

liquou wrote:Thank you all for your answers. :P

Merci pour poser une question sur Glasgow Cache.
Etes-vous en etudiant francais qui peut parler seulement l'anglais? :)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:31 am

You might also find this of interest; http://www.paisley.org.uk/history/canal.php
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby liquou » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Hey Paladin,

Well I do speak French too. It's my mother tongue.
I've been registered for a few month on Hiden Glasgow, it was just appropriate for me to ask on the forum about the Ardrossan Canal.
Always good to read what's going on my dear Glasgow.
J'aime Tori
liquou
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby donjuan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:21 pm

Work began on the Canal in 1807. Its main purpose would have been the export of Scottish coal to Ireland and the import of Irish grain through the proposed new harbour at Ardrossan. An 11 mile stretch between Port Eglinton and a basin in Johnstone was opened in 1811, funds ran out and it proceeded no further. A proposed branch canal to Hurlet near Nitshill was never built, but Rosshall quay was used to load minerals and stone drawn by horses along a wooden waggon way from the coal works at Hurlet and the quarries at Nitshill.

In the 1830's the canal attracted passengers. At first the Canal Company had to compete with steam carriages operating from George Square to Tontine Hotel in Paisley but an accident at the three mile house led to a ban on there use in Scotland. On Tuesday 26 July 1834, five people died and several were injured when one of the right hand wheels gave way, and the boiler was crushed.

Much of the success of the canal was due to William Houston of Johnstone Castle who introduced fast passenger boats, which a single horse could pull at twelve miles per hour. In 1839 the company carried over 400,000 passengers, twice as many as the Forth and Clyde canal, and in 1840 there were 13 boats daily between Glasgow and Paisley, at one time the company employed 78 horses.

In 1840 the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway opened and three years later the canal company to give up carrying passengers was given an annual payment of £1,367 until 1869 when it was bought by the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company, and later filled in in 1881 and a railway opened in 1885.
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)