Another listed building burns in city centre...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Another listed building burns in city centre...

Postby gap74 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:49 am

Looks from the fuzzy photo in The Herald to be the building which houses the Bay Horse pub at the corner of Bath St and West Nile St - I'm amused that only a few hours after the event, a council spokeswoman is quoted as saying that it looks like it will have to be demolished....!

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/31169.html

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:13 am

Oh thats interesting - if thats the building I think it is, that was the only building that was having to be retained as part of the proposed big redevelopment of that block...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:24 am

That's a point, I had totally forgotten that that whole block was up for redevelopment!

Am sure it's all just a hideous coincidence, I for one can't wait for a magnificent modern steel-framed, glass-fronted edifice to rise from the ashes...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:14 pm

Bloody hell, you cuyld hardly make it up could you :evil:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:32 pm

C'mon guy's haven't you heard? it's our turn this year.......again.

Glasgow
City of Coincidental Building Fires and Redevelopment 2005
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:03 pm

JayKay wrote:Bloody hell, you cuyld hardly make it up could you :evil:

It's officially suspicious
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:48 pm

Sounds like the Police view everything suspicious where Security firms are, the buildings becoming incidental.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/in ... 1233902004
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:02 pm

Exactly the link I was about to post. I found this interesting:

Osiris Security Ltd is owned by Marie Johnston, wife of an exiled former policeman Paul Johnston, who has served time for fraud, and fled to Spain in 2002 after police issued a warrant for his arrest.

Osiris is named after the Egyptian god of the underworld. The Johnstons are alleged to have had close links to gangster Stewart ‘Specky’ Boyd, who died in a car crash in Spain last year.

Osiris was recently criticised by a Catholic priest who said they demanded £1,000 to guard his chapel during renovation work. Father Chambers, of Our Lady of Good Counsel in Dennistoun, Glasgow, told his parishioners of the demand during Mass.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:02 pm

JayKay wrote:Exactly the link I was about to post. I found this interesting:

It will be interesting to see what develops from this incident in many ways.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:56 pm

Actually, I've been in the Bay Horse and it's no loss, believe me.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:16 pm

I always liked the way the Bay Horse would lock the doors during bigger football games, although it was never clear whether this was to protect those on the inside from those on the outside, or vice versa!

Wasn't it only in the last year or two that these rival security firms would suddenly find that the building sites they were guarding were terribly prone to mysterious fires? And now their offices are burning down, how careless!

Of course, I'm implying nothing, the security business in Glasgow is no more corrupt than, say, the mini-cab business - just good, honest folk trying to earn a few sheckles...

G
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:30 pm

The bay horse wasnt that bad - it was one of the few unreconstructed old fashioned pubs left in the city centre. It was given a bit of a clean and polish a couple of years ago, but they avoided the temptation of turning it into another anonymous character vacuum pubs that appear and disappear with increasing regularity in the city centre.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:39 pm

I was sitting having a pie and a pint in the aforementioned hostelry. Suddenly the old guy sitting next to me vomited into his pint glass, handily refilling it. No one batted an eyelid. I left my pie unfinshed.

Someone informed me that while doing some work on that building they came across a mothballed 'sixties' bar/club on one of the upper floors. Anyone have any info on this?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:44 pm

jim wrote: Suddenly the old guy sitting next to me vomited into his pint glass, handily refilling it.

Any chance this old guy could bring back buildings? :wink: That would bat a few eyelids.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:03 pm

jim wrote:I was sitting having a pie and a pint in the aforementioned hostelry. Suddenly the old guy sitting next to me vomited into his pint glass, handily refilling it. No one batted an eyelid. I left my pie unfinshed.

Someone informed me that while doing some work on that building they came across a mothballed 'sixties' bar/club on one of the upper floors. Anyone have any info on this?

::): cheers Jim for that

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)