Maryhill, Wyndford, Kelvindale, Kelvinside...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Maryhill, Wyndford, Kelvindale, Kelvinside...

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:40 pm

Looking for help in defining an area here!

Just bought a new flat (after 2 years of trying, hallelujiah!) in Gairbraid Court in an area which has been described as...

North Kelvinside by the estate agents trying to make a buck
Wyndford by First Bus map
Kelvindale by the neighbours
Maryhill by the solicitors

I have looked on a recent map and it seems to be on the cusp of Kelvindale and Maryhill, but just wondering if any other forumsters know the area?

Also interested in the local history of the area. They are knocking down all the council houses round there... where are they putting all these people?!

Hope someone can settle this for me! ::):
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rank_bajin » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:54 pm

I've always thought Kelvindale/Maryhill boundery was the Kelvin, so you would be in Maryhill. Not too sure if it would be classed as the Wyndford though, which I thought just referred to the estate built in the old army barracks.

If you're looking for info on the history of Kelvindale, there's a lot of detail in the "Along Gt Western Rd" book, which was available in Bookworld last time I looked
rank_bajin
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:02 am

Will look out for that book, thanks :)

Do you know where the old army barracks are then? This is a little estate place. The garden backs onto the Kelvin, I think, so I guess it is JUST maryhill - makes no odds to me!

I thought Wyndford as the church which is right next to the estate seems to be called Wyndford.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:00 am

Heres a map of 1858 showing the area. Note Garbraid house sort of centre-left, Garrioch centre-bottom, and Wyndford on the right:

this next map is of 1932 on which you can clearly seethe extent of Maryhill barracks, with Wyndford occupied by a foorball ground and Maryhill ironworks. Your local streets are also recognisable now, although you little piece is occupied by a dye works:

i got a copy of 'Along Great Western Road' for 9squid in bargain Books a while back, they're charging £20 for it again now tho.

hope this helps,

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby thecatsmother » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:41 am

The bit with the durty great wall round it is Wyndford, the site of the former barracks. Welcome to the neighbourhood :D Your bit is referred to as "The Valley" in local parlance, but don't expect to find that on any maps, and don't admit to it in public. The Valley boys and the Wyndford boys regularly try to separate each other from their good looks.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:53 pm

Ah right, so the valley is the posh bit of Maryhill then ::):

We are smack bang on the dye works in the later map - thank you very much for those!

Any info on said dye works? When did they close, etc?

Thanks
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Maryhill Lad » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:09 pm

I was born and bred in Maryhill and would always have said Garbraid Avenue was Maryhill rather than Wyndford, and certainly never Kelvindale. Wyndford was only ever used when referring to the houses that occupied the area of the old barracks and even than that was their posh name. We just called them the Barracks.

Used to frequent the swimming baths in Garbraid Avenue. Think they were on the corner of Guthrie Street ? Are they still there ?

Like the map from 1932 posted by Crusty_Bint. Is that the extent of the map ?
Maryhill Lad
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:34 pm

I heard a rumour that the old swimming baths are being turned into a sports centre, complete with swimming pool. Whether this is a) true or b)means that the swimming baths will be restored is a different matter.

The person who told me this recently also bought a flat in gairbraid court - the previous owner gave the address as Kelvindale!

:o
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Another Maryhill boy here, from the top of Gilshochill (Gilshy). Went to the library in Maryhill Road and the swimming pool in Gairbraid Avenue when I was at Maryhill Primary (almost at the top of Duncruin Street). If you get an old map, or street directory, you will be able to find out whether your flat is in what was Maryhill Burgh. If not, feel free to call it Kelvindale ...
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:13 am

I always thought North Kelvinside's boundary was pretty much between Garrioch Road and the far end of Wilton Street. Gairbraid Court really is Maryhill. Kelvindale's boundary is the River Kelvin.

I went to NK school and lived in Kelvin Drive but even then kids from Cadder would think you were being pretentious of you said you lived in North Kelvinside.
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:26 am

I think it is Maryhill - would make sense from the maps, etc.

Neither the Royal Mail or BT websites care to speculate, but I did see on the BT directory enquiries website, that for handy stalking purposes, they show your house on a map from Multimap! :?
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:48 pm

I'm sure your by now wholly convinced its Maryhill your in, and as someone who started out in Maryhill I would further confirm that. A couple of additional points.

Firstly when I was at a do a couple of months back, the wife of one of the local councillors was most specific and prescriptive (in a friendly and funny way) about where 'Old' and 'New' Maryhill each started and ended. Seems its a field of much expertise and dangerous debate.

Second point is about the Barracks estate surrounded by the outer boundary wall. The housing development started in the late 60s was considered to be ground-breaking-state-of-the-art stuff at the time. In fact it was considered akin to the early development of Cumbernauld. All the full range of non-traditional building systems and processes were used - I say, they even had underfloor heating!. Communal nirvana was being created with the deliberate mixed developments of low rise traditional flats in closes, 'medium rise' blocks like Tracobas and massive great big brutal MK11s and MK111s multi-storey towers especially designed by the old SSHA.
A wonderful short documentary was made of the estate opening with the Scottish Secretary Willie Ross. It exudes all the 60s technocrats vibrant optimism, swimming on huge lakes of public funding (easy to be cynical now, but they were all going for it big time). Maybe somebody on HG can source where copies of that documentary might be?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

similarly

Postby yourebarred » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:43 pm

I live in govanhill i think, and have a similar confusion. i am closest to queens park train station, which is next to crosshill bank and post office. crosshill train station is closer to govanhill post office. the flats round me get listed as queens park or crosshill because that apparently looks better than govanhill! go figure...
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)