Belvidere Hospital, Parkhead

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:06 pm

Wow! The very ones! I loved them, miss those shoes. Just like Chrissy will miss The Jacket.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:56 pm

::): I prefer the lime green stiletto winkle-pickers you wore to the Lime Centre Del... they were braw!

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:05 pm

The jacket in question:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:40 pm

Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sou-wester » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:21 pm

Sharon wrote:http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57 mentioned Belvidere

Hi

Thought I had seen Belvidere more recently, didn't find this thread when I searched, must be blind.

Trying to get the scanner working to post the block plan, let you know how I get on.
sou-wester
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby sou-wester » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:26 am

Here's a larger version: http://stinkpad.net/belvidere.gif
sou-wester
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby turbozutek » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:04 am

To think the only part left is the block marked 'Doctors House'!!!

Now.. I can't make it out from even the large plan, but where was the mortuary ??

Excellent work!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:02 am

turbozutek wrote:To think the only part left is the block marked 'Doctors House'!!!

Now.. I can't make it out from even the large plan, but where was the mortuary ??

Excellent work!

Chris...

Is that it in the middle, three buildings above the washing house? Long narrow building.
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:45 am

Gates were open again this morning at 8am

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby sou-wester » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:43 pm

According to the book I am using the earliest permanent buildings is the small pox quarter and surrounding buildings, top left of plan.

I've never seen what is left of it today. Seeing as it is only the Doctor's House I can give a brief description of the other pavillions as the book is fairly detailed.

The pavillions were made of brick and measured 168ftx 26ft and 32 ft high. The rafters were made of "light iron". Flooring was varnished "Danzetic" oak and the walls "Keene's" cement. The buildings had "numerous" windows which were double glazed. Each building had four wards, two acute and two convalescant.

This description is from 1914.

Sou
sou-wester
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:10 pm

I took a walk around Belvidere, and it was surprisingly interesting.

Starting at the east corner, a road leads down the east side wall, opposite the Celtic club with its pitches to the rear. While the London Rd fence has security signs, the stone wall down this road has been extensively smashed and broken down, and you can simply walk on to old site if you wish. Aerial photos of the rear of the club show a large running track, but this couldn't be seen through the fence. Behind the club ground, I was surprised to find a Glasgow allotment site, Westthorn. Very much live and in use too. I should have expected it, but next surprise for me was the Clyde Walkway, should have remembered, but just never realised it was so close.

The rear boundary runs along the Walkway and is barricaded by a solid corrugated metal fence. Entry is also possible here, as the locals have seen fit to peel a way one or two of the joints. Given this, it is fair to assume that the old hospital building will have been trashed, as the windows can be seen to be open from London Rd, never having been sealed.

The third boundary wall is solid along its length, and a lane follows its length to provide a return path to London Rd. This lane appears as Cairncraig St on older maps, but is overgrown now, as is Kempock St which joins it, mainly visible only by the streetlamps standing out of the undergrowth. These two streets are also shown bordering a football ground and a school, both of which have gone, leaving no evidence, other than a set of steps in the hillside leading down to the Clyde.

On my way back to civilisation, I took a look at Helenvale Park, but the building is now barred, and the ground derelict and sprouting weeds, although the stands backing on the the houses of Tollcross Rd can still be seen. Add to this total another absent football ground that was shown across the road from the Celtic Club.

At least all the bowling greens on the old maps still seem to be there, so the older population is better served than the young. Just as well the average age of the population is increasing :wink:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Apollo wrote:I took a walk around Belvidere, and it was surprisingly interesting.

Starting at the east corner, a road leads down the east side wall, opposite the Celtic club with its pitches to the rear. While the London Rd fence has security signs, the stone wall down this road has been extensively smashed and broken down, and you can simply walk on to old site if you wish. Aerial photos of the rear of the club show a large running track, but this couldn't be seen through the fence. Behind the club ground, I was surprised to find a Glasgow allotment site, Westthorn. Very much live and in use too. I should have expected it, but next surprise for me was the Clyde Walkway, should have remembered, but just never realised it was so close.

The rear boundary runs along the Walkway and is barricaded by a solid corrugated metal fence. Entry is also possible here, as the locals have seen fit to peel a way one or two of the joints. Given this, it is fair to assume that the old hospital building will have been trashed, as the windows can be seen to be open from London Rd, never having been sealed.

The third boundary wall is solid along its length, and a lane follows its length to provide a return path to London Rd. This lane appears as Cairncraig St on older maps, but is overgrown now, as is Kempock St which joins it, mainly visible only by the streetlamps standing out of the undergrowth. These two streets are also shown bordering a football ground and a school, both of which have gone, leaving no evidence, other than a set of steps in the hillside leading down to the Clyde.

On my way back to civilisation, I took a look at Helenvale Park, but the building is now barred, and the ground derelict and sprouting weeds, although the stands backing on the the houses of Tollcross Rd can still be seen. Add to this total another absent football ground that was shown across the road from the Celtic Club.

At least all the bowling greens on the old maps still seem to be there, so the older population is better served than the young. Just as well the average age of the population is increasing :wink:

I was down this way today. Much of Belvedere is gone. The stands at Helenvale Park are now also gone, and the running tracks have been largely covered over. The listed, and sole remaining, tenement in the street, which directly overlooks the Park (and housed my first ever flat) is burnt out and derelict. I am a bit upset.

Helenvale Park, at one time the only Astroturf stadium in Glasgow, I think, used to house all manner of bizzare events. I particularly remember a tri-nation international hockey tournament where Pakistan (the world champions at the time) took on England and then a UK select straight afterwards and gubbed the pair of them.

It also used to house the Glasgow Lions American Football games (and cheerleader practices, which were highly entertaining - 'Whiddy we waant? Touchdown! When d'we waant it? Now!') and Celtic reserve games, amongst others.

Anyone know what happened here?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:35 pm

I was down this way today. Much of Belvedere is gone

Helenvale Park, at one time the only Astroturf stadium in Glasgow, I think, used to house all manner of bizzare events. I particularly remember a tri-nation international hockey tournament where Pakistan (the world champions at the time) took on England and then a UK select straight afterwards and gubbed the pair of them.
It also used to house the Glasgow Lions American Football games (and cheerleader practices, which were highly entertaining - 'Whiddy we waant? Touchdown! When d'we waant it? Now!') and Celtic reserve games, amongst others.

The listed, and sole remaining, tenement in the street, which directly overlooks the Park (and housed my first ever flat) is burnt out and derelict. I am a bit upset.

:wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Cheers, HH.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 pm

De nada, Josef, my friend. :wink:
HollowHorn