Most of the time
12%
When a student uses it
8%
Never
73%

Total votes : 26

Postby Alasdair » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:24 pm

I think that the hatred of neds is a wee bit snobby. I've witnessed wealthy students committing acts of mindless violence, drinking too much, shouting in the streets at all hours of the night, and talking loosely on public transport. The worst ones often live off the taxpayer and their mums and their dads' generosity.

Also, the trouble is that any definition of 'ned' seems to implicate loads of decent people alongside a few obnoxious pricks, eg. tracksuit-wearer, buckfast-drinker, hogs-all-the-seats-on-the-train people.

I'm worried that people use the term 'ned' to write someone off, when they can't be bothered to be specific about what it is that they don't like about a person, though perhaps it's me that's over-sensitive.
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:22 pm

Alasdair wrote:perhaps it's me that's over-sensitive.

Yup. I've suffered enough casual violence and damage to my property to know that they are all just worthless scum. Compulsory sterilisation for neds would get my vote.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:43 pm

yeah, I'm wit' the oldies that remember the term from way before the current usage. The Non Educated Delinquent is a recent addition.

My parents (who taught generations of them) that the phrase came originally from a corruption of "Ted", ie 50's Teddy Boys who used to hang about street corners in a menacing manner wearing clothes that were seen as fashionable by those within the group but seen as laughable by outsiders.

Little has changed in the last half century, other than the fashions.

As an aside, Francie and Josie were the original pisstake of the Glasgow ned. (50's style)

I remember Bill Knox well, BTW. "Three neds, two hoods and a ne'er do well were seen leaving the scene of the crime." TV gold
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

NEDS

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:03 pm

I think that people dress in a deliberate way to identify with a particular social group. Therefore i find it unlikely that there are people who dress like neds but are not neds themselves. As for middle class neerdowells and people who dont wear the dress but act in the same ways as neds, yes they do exist. I dont think they are Neds though, i think they are just antisocial dangerous people. I dont think Ned is a corruption of Ted. Teds were regarded at the time(Late 50's/Early 60's) in some quarters as an antisocial group in their own right. It would seem unlikely that the term Ned would be a corruption when to many people the term Ted would suffice. Ted incidently is derived from "Edwardian" and is a reference to their clothes which were based on the outfits worn by young men about town circa 1900-10. The Victorians also had there own young lags who were called "Mashers".
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby adject » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:09 pm

Yay Neds!!! Not really, but yay anyway! This ned phenomenon is so foreign to me as to be exotic (not that I want to try Buckfast anytime soon).
adject
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby turbozutek » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:11 pm

So here is the real question:

Would it be wrong to round up Neds and gas them ? I mean.. To death ?

http://www.chavscum.co.uk

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:30 pm

I had this in mind actually:

They'd be hard to miss with those white caps and Berghaus jackets.

Alternatively:

:twisted:
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pussy cats

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:28 pm

Sorry Big Man! but I'm a sucker for pussy cats even the sniper variety. :D

Get me in the heart everytime :evil:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe