Bridgeton Olympia Cinema

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bridgeton Olympia Cinema

Postby Caltonboy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:44 am

turbozutek wrote:
johnnyanglia wrote:Can anyone tell me who is undertaking the conversion of the old cinema at Bridgeton Cross. I know an artists impression was posted a while back but i would like to find out more as i am covering the building as part of a dissertation.

Local neds and jaikies are handling the Phase 1 conversion into a doss house and public toilet pretty well.

I pity the poor workmen who have to clear that place!

:evil:

Chris...

does it make you feel good looking down on people in an area you know nothing about ? i bet you delight in using the term "underclass" ya fanny.
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Before the domes removal

and in a works yard in Orr st now.

Before the insides were ripped out

getting ready for foundations

work in progress taking away the interior of the old Olympia

under the Olympia canopy while still access

windows being removed

calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ibtg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 pm

I thought the building was going to be renovated!!

Will there be anything original left? Or are they doing a number on it like they did with the Plaza dancehall?
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:14 am

Thats it.. Im very disappointed as well, ah really thought a lot more would be kept and done up. sadly no... aw thats left is a wall and the corner with the dome..so much history torn apart, but the one good thing is that the place will be lit up once again at night, changing the look of the Cross ..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 am

Ive just been inside the new bulding, still having work done. but its done to the very highest standards, the dome can been seen from the inside where a staircase is being fitted underneath. lighting is in place to emphasise the dome... there is a large library space, and the same size area on another floor for the gym.. office space, a small type of cinema and cafe are also being fitted...this taken from the top of the building. at the front.
Image 8th May 2012

view from the Olympia

calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Got to love those HiViz tabards demanded by Campbell Construction Group.
Like an ill-trained work placement bod on a forklift's going to run into you on Level 3 of an office block?
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun May 13, 2012 3:31 pm

MungoDundas wrote:Got to love those HiViz tabards demanded by Campbell Construction Group.
Like an ill-trained work placement bod on a forklift's going to run into you on Level 3 of an office block?

thats nothing kids at a local nursery have to wear high vis vests when they get taken for a walk along the local nature trail to see the ducks and the baby ducks
the path incidentally is nowhere near a main road as the nursery is located down a close which is near the start of the nature trail walk
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon May 14, 2012 5:47 am

Yeah, I noticed that in Glasgow Green when I was on the cycle. Also wore hard hats too, which is going a little too far IMO.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Mon May 14, 2012 9:13 am

Oh don't get me started on the "Health & Safety" Wombles. Used to work all over the place on power stations & with the possible exception of Australia, UK is one of the worst for stupidity.

One site which is owned by a big oil multi for example, flame proof ovies, gloves at all times (even inside a control cab, had to wear rubber gloves while typing on a laptop), safety boots, high viz jacket, hard hat, ear protection (at all times), eye protection at all times. You were knackered by the time you walked a 100 yards and couldn't see or hear sod all. I go into the engine compartment of the unit I'm working on and go right on my arse. Why because the floor is swimming in oil and I can't see a thing because of all the shit I'm wearing. If they were so concerned about safety perhaps a wee wipe of the floor might be an idea. Instead they flood it with H&S people to spy on you.

Oh and don't get me started on work permits, hazardous areas and enclosed spaces. Another job different company, I'm in the inlet of a running engine to check something (no hazard of me getting sucked into the engine in the area I was in) but with all the air passing from the outside into the engine, it's blowing a fair old wind in there. H&S muppet has to go in first with a gas sniffer, there is no gas; between me and the outside are a few filters and its blowing a very stiff breeze............then he puts it down and the bloody thing nearly gets sucked into the engine.

These people are there for your safety

It's all about not getting sued and insurance liability they couldn't care if I lived or died (well they do really because it gives them an awful lot of paperwork to fill out).

Apologies totally Off Topic I'll get ma coat
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Aye let's get back to dirty money and let the NHS and DWP take care of the consequences.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)