Bridgeton Olympia Cinema

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bridgeton Olympia Cinema

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:44 pm

Can anyone tell me who is undertaking the conversion of the old cinema at Bridgeton Cross. I know an artists impression was posted a while back but i would like to find out more as i am covering the building as part of a dissertation.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:40 pm

………..if you go next door to Millers flooring, they, I’m sure will be able to point you in the right direction

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Bridgeton Olympia Cinema

Postby turbozutek » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:47 pm

johnnyanglia wrote:Can anyone tell me who is undertaking the conversion of the old cinema at Bridgeton Cross. I know an artists impression was posted a while back but i would like to find out more as i am covering the building as part of a dissertation.

Local neds and jaikies are handling the Phase 1 conversion into a doss house and public toilet pretty well.

I pity the poor workmen who have to clear that place!

:evil:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:37 am

johnnyanglia wrote:Can anyone tell me who is undertaking the conversion of the old cinema at Bridgeton Cross. I know an artists impression was posted a while back but i would like to find out more as i am covering the building as part of a dissertation.

The planning permission report has contact details for the developers - you should be able to get it from the council website here:
http://www.glasgowcitycouncil.co.uk/com ... search.asp

by searching for Olympia. I think it was sometime during 2003 the application was granted. I have a copy of it somewhere at home & can dig it out if you can't find it easily.

If you find out anything of interest - let me know!

If you've not seen them already, there is coverage of the history of the building in two books -
Scotland's Splendid Theatres by Bruce Peter, and 100 Years of Glasgow's Glorious Cinemas, also by Bruce.

In the meantime, why not enjoy the pleasant selection of photos here:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... index.html
http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... ympia.html

:)

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bridgeton Olympia

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:51 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied to my query. Yes i had noticed to my dismay that some locals had carried out ad hoc alterations. I have been trying to track down the Bruce Peter theatre book(I have the cinema one). Ibelieve it is now out of print however. Unfortunately the council site is giving me a "Page cannot be displayed message" but i will keep trying. Just out of interest Nodrog i have the 1921 proposed plans for the Govanhill picture house and the 1925 realised plans. I will have to let you see them at some point.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:03 pm

I have a spare copy of the Bruce Peter Theatres book that is looking for a good home if you're interested... ;)

In fact, how about a swap for copies of those plans of the Govanhill you have?

The council site does indeed appear to be broken at the moment; I'll try and dig out my copy of the report and send you the details....

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:06 pm

Aha, knew I had a copy somewhere.

I've uploaded it to:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... cation.pdf

Hope it is of some use!

Cheers,
Gordon

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:14 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply. Regarding the Bruce Peter you have a deal !. Can you send me your e mail address and i will give you my phone number, Cheers Johnny.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 pm

The Olympia has been taken over by Clydegateway and part of it is to be some type of art gallery.. the opening day for the Cross is monday the 23rd and the bell inside the Umberella Ive been told by a very good source will ring on the day and every day after...
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am

Yeah, Page/Park architects are currently working on plans for the building for Clyde Gateway, but it's essentially trashed inside, so would be a facade retention job.

Various community uses are being proposed, including sports facilities as a 2014 legacy.

The RCAHMS were recently inside and undertook a photographic survey of the fire- and water-damaged interior. You can see the pics here:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16 ... a+theatre/
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks for the link Gap. A magnificent building.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Public Meeting on Wed 15th Sept at the Bridgeton Community Learning Campus in Dale Street, 7pm. Clyde Gateway will reveal their plans for the building and are looking for views on the proposals from anyone interested.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:19 pm

PROPOSALS FOR OLYMPIA GET SEAL OF APPROVAL

The public meeting was chaired by George Redmond, the local councillor for the Bridgeton area and Board Member of Clyde Gateway. He said "The Olympia is a hugely important symbol of Bridgeton’s rich heritage and it has been very sad to watch it fall into decline in recent years. Everyone was delighted when Clyde Gateway bought the building last year and said it was making it a priority to bring it back into public use."...Continues @ Clyde Gateway
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I was at the meeting, and whilst folk were happy to see the building brought into use again, there seemed to be two aspects of concern to residents.

First up was that these proposals had already been decided - there seemed to have been little in the way of consultation, and Cllr Redmond tried to counteract this criticism by saying that he'd been telling folk for months about them. Nonetheless, I got the impression that "the community" had felt a bit put out by having had little say in the final outcome, regardless of how worthy the final ideas were.

Secondly, the current library is in a pretty handsome B-listed building of a similar vintage to the Olympia, and there was concern that these proposals would simply rescue one derelict B-listed building whilst creating another. Assurances were given that proposals for the old library would be looked at in due course, but nothing concrete was evidently in the pipeline for the time being.

I should add that the proposals were for a library at the ground floor, the new homes for Scottish amateur boxing and wrestling bodies at the first floor (which would be used for Commonwealth training in 2014 too) and office space above. The build would essentially be a facade retention job, which is fair enough, since even the most hard-line of us cinema preservation geeks would be hard-pressed to say there's much left worth saving in the old auditorium.

I guess on that score, though, we were a wee bit disappointed that even a small auditorium wasn't included in the plans for cinema or simple stage use, since I'm not sure that such a thing exists in Bridgeton at the moment.

PS The meeting was held in the Learning Campus building in Dale Street - what an awful cheap building, can't have been more than a few years old but the low-quality wooden floor looked like domestic laminate - under such heavy use, it had certainly worn as if it was, and don't get me started on the exposed ducting!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 am

We don't get as many classic HG exposés as we used to. Ta, G.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)