New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:48 pm

cybers wrote:From a strictly personal point of view the lunatics that approved this design should be dragged back in time and birched.
Yes its very futuristic but it will be dated in 10 years abondoned in 12 and another "Hutchy" fiasco....

It seems like we are spending more of our time sending our cash abroad for these designs which almost always never meet double budget whilst they do absolutly nothing to improve the skyline.
Maybe I am being a little harsh or shortsighted but i am pretty sure all we really needed was a big shed the same as the exhibition centre used to be and viola easy to build easy to maintain and bloody good value for money instead of this monstrosity....

P.S
Second place .....Sorry thought this looked to much like shipping containers.....
Though no doubt they would have came in handy when they need to sell the exhibits to finish paying for this crap....

So a big shed would be your ideal would it? Oh to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would accompany that idea into the public realm!

'Ah they dont make them like they used to - architects these days cant design like back in the day'

'that just looks like a big ASDA with some buses stuck in it'

ad nauseum......
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:'Ah they dont make them like they used to - architects these days cant design like back in the day'

You can say that again ::):
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 am

Bingo Bango wrote:
So a big shed would be your ideal would it? Oh to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would accompany that idea into the public realm!

'Ah they dont make them like they used to - architects these days cant design like back in the day'

'that just looks like a big ASDA with some buses stuck in it'

ad nauseum......

Big Asda with some buses stuck in it works for me.....especially as it might cost 30 million and there will be change left over....
Also the other thing that is rubbing my goat fur the wrong way.....

This museum is getting paid for out of the public purse ?
Why is a private company getting the tender to run it...will we have to pay to view the inside of something we have indeed already paid for.

Big Asda it is then.....and The council still run it....
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am

I think glasgowken's post summed it all up.

I feel so much deja vu after the farce that brought is the abortion of the Scottish Parliament, you'd think we (or rather those that hold the purse strings) would have learnt better by now, but that would mean forgetting prestige, and concentrating on the actual content of the museum.

The earlier posts referred to a starting cost of £50 million, but I remember looking at the displays in the Kelvin Hall, and they actually started at a 'mere' £40 million.

The later post indicated that we are now up at £73 million, so there can be little doubt that by the time this project gets underway, it will have already have passed £80 million, and will probably crack the £100 million once costs escalate when construction is underway, and "We have no choice but to meet these increased costs and conclude the build we have started".

One can't help but feel that the non-considered option of turning the entire Kelvin Hall over to the Transport Museum would have been a simpler, cheaper option, and look at the tens of millions that would have been left over to buy/maintain exhibits.

I'm sure they could have managed to squeeze some sort of sports arena to replace Kelvin Hall arenas somewhere else out of this other nonsense about hosting games.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

I too agree with Glasgowken . He is absolutely spot on. Good boy , go to the top of the class.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:54 am

Quite right too :)

The Kelvin Hall arena hasn't been that sucessful, who wants to play or run in a grotty mini arena anyway ? Crappy idea in the first place.
The museum would have also helped to secure the Kelvin Hall from it's uncertain future. It's hard to believe one of our most famous buildings could be demolished (well maybe not that hard to believe :roll: ).
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I have stated previously on here that i am not a big fan of Zaha Hadid's Museum proposal. However, i am very pleased that we are finally going to get a purpose built Museum for Glasgow's Transport Museum collection.

£80M these days is a relatively small amount for a large Public Building on the scale of the Hadid proposal. I would guess that if the Project takes over 2 years from start to finish, then the costs would easily spiral over the £100M mark.

Construction costs have rocketed over the last 5 years. Some Material and Labour costs have almost doubled as everyone cashes in on the very vibrant Construction Industry in Scotland.

So i would not say no to a nice new £80M Museum which will become a landmark must see tourist attraction, the same as the Burrell and Kelvingrove. Glasgow deserves nothing less. And yes it would be nice to get some nice new exhibits.

The Kelvin Hall is a nothing building. A big shed with a nice frontage, but basically it is a very big shed constructed on the same lines as many a long gone steelworks building.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Suppose once the kelvin hall is empty it MIGHT mysteriously burn down ;)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Have to say I agree with just about everything Socceroo has said on this topic.

Also, if the International Sports Arena was forced to make way for a revamped and extended Transport Museum I imagine there would be howls of outrage from all the sports afficionado's in the Glasgow area [a much larger and more vociferous body than the transport fraternity I would think].
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Yes but for the cash not only could the Transport Museum be moved into the whole of the Kelvin Hall, there would (probably) be enough left over for a proper small sports hall to be built, instead of this cobbled together thing.
Whatever happens the Kelvin Hall is still under threat, arena or no arena.
The museum has constantly been a very popular attraction over the years, so it may be a wise move to keep it at the Kelvin Hall.

It's all academic anyway, the decisions have been made, brown envelopes passed under tables, etc :-(
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Do you buy cheap bread?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Often.