New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:21 pm

cumbo wrote:Who cares what it looks like!
It is going to be full with old buses and trains and tram cars and steam engines and boats and bikes........etc

I'm with you on that cumbo, not as if I'll be shelling out £250,000+ for a flat overlooking the place :!:

It can look like a dog turd with a lollypopstick stuck in it for all I care. It's whats inside that counts. :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:52 pm

cumbo wrote:It can look like a dog turd with a lollypopstick stuck in it for all I care. It's whats inside that counts. :D

Now, THAT would have been a fun project if it had won, and I bet it would have pulled in the visitors ::):
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:57 pm

I was in the other day, they've a lovely old Albion bus on temporary display.

We've spoken a bit about the building, what about it's contents? What would the gang here like to see in the new museum? I've always been disappointed that the collection seems farily static these days, there have been no major acquisitions as far as I can see, unless they're all in storage!

A lot of buses that played a big part in Glasgow life have been retired in the last few years - I'm thinking specifically of the later versions of the Atlanteans, and the SMT Leyland Leopards here. Would have been nice to see the bus collection updated with some of them - perhaps some sort of collaboration with the bus preservation people out in Bridgeton?? Am I right in remembering that there's only two buses on display at the moment, and they both come from around the same period in the 50s?

Also, a restored class 303 EMU would have been an ideal addition to the trains section, although admittedly that would have taken up rather a lot of space! Perhaps just a leading carriage? Is it true that the restored example at Shields Rd was scrapped? What a missed opportunity!

I also don't like the way the cars are spread out these days. to demonstrate things like car crime and whatnot.

Lastly, it would be good to have a larger version of Kelvin Street - it always struck me as an exhibit more suited to the People's Palace than the Transport Museum, but with more roadspace, it would make a corking background for more cars.

Anyways, over to you lot. What would you like to see?

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevoooo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:26 am

not sure if this image will work or not, as its from a subscription website but I'll give it a go.

here is another view of Zahid's deign

stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:28 am

Hmmm, they might wanna reconsider leaving that gable end open there, could get a bit drafty and damp, especially down by the river...!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevoooo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:43 am

plus everything inside would get nicked!
stevoooo
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:25 pm

zaha bailed out ?

Zaha Glasgow museum granted extra funding

06 July 2007

Extra funding for Zaha Hadid’s Museum of Transport in Glasgow has been approved after SNP opposition councillors withdrew their objections and agreed a £14 million increase in the budget.

SNP leader councillor John Mason had compared the spiralling costs, now standing at £74 million, to those of the Scottish Parliament building. But at a scrutiny committee meeting last week councillors voted unanimously to grant the funding.

“I’ve been opposed to the cost running away without control,” Mason said. “But a lot of questions were asked, and we were reassured that it was justified.”

The initial budget for the museum was £50 million, but had already risen to £60 million by last October. The increase was blamed on the rising cost of steel, concrete and glass, and the increased complexity of the design.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:36 pm

I think it looks amazing, especially from the sky. Most people will be arriving on foot though and not by helicopter. From the ground it looks less grand, but it has my vote. It is like part of a chrome bumper from an American car from the 1950s. Mind you, a crumpled post-collision bumper. Speaking of crashes, maybe they should be bold and have a sort of Ballardian attrocity exhibition - famous death cars (Jimmy Dean, Princess Di, Franz Ferdinand, Jayne Mansfield, Bucks Fizz).
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:06 am

Is the point of a museum the building, or the collection ?
A fraction of that 60 million could have bought an unrivaled collection of vehicles, & more exhibits. How about bringing back that Glasgow tram from Paris, it's sitting in storage.

The more I see & read about this project, the more I hate it. Converting the whole of the Kelvin Hall (getting rid of that daft tiny sports arena), and installing machinery to improve the envioroment in the building would have been a far better idea. What could half of that cash have done for the Kelvin Hall ?
Or have the palms already been crossed to demlolish it, a nice toasty fire to look forword to ?

For Gods sake, whatever you do GCC don't let the exhibits get in the way of a flashy new building :roll: Ugh
I know this has been talked about before, but after reading that my blood pressure is up :x
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:43 am

Sixty Million quid for a discarded KitKat wrapper .. Pfft! :P

*in all seriousness though I do quite like it I'd just rather have seen the project land on the drawing board of a Scottish architect*
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 am

Gareth Hoskins was in 2nd place with this proposal, which i prefered to ZH's.

And the tall order was another entry that i felt would have been good for that part of the Confluence of the 2 rivers at Glasgow Harbour.

To me its a plain shed with no merit, 70m for a blue steel sheets ? :roll:

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:50 am

Anyone thought that with the troughs in the roof, unless it is built carefully we will get pools of standing water, leaks etc ?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:41 am

Christ .. three pages into the thread and the DIY'ers strike with merciless logic. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:08 pm

Personally I think that the whole concept of a transport museum with large exhibits is wrong, totally wrong. Fair enough, have the models and small items in an annexe of a more general museum but the big exhibits look so depressing cooped up in a hall.
1) Locomotives should be out on the rails, or at least in viewable storage at a rail connected site. Pack the whole lot up and send them to Bo'ness or Aviemore.
2) Ditto Trams, they should be at a Scottish version of Crich. Get the buses there too and get them operational. I think an opportunity was missed when Strathclyde Park was planned, a tramway with heritage trams running round the loch would be great
3) Boats are always going to be outside anyway, in their natural environment.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:38 pm

From a strictly personal point of view the lunatics that approved this design should be dragged back in time and birched.
Yes its very futuristic but it will be dated in 10 years abondoned in 12 and another "Hutchy" fiasco....

It seems like we are spending more of our time sending our cash abroad for these designs which almost always never meet double budget whilst they do absolutly nothing to improve the skyline.
Maybe I am being a little harsh or shortsighted but i am pretty sure all we really needed was a big shed the same as the exhibition centre used to be and viola easy to build easy to maintain and bloody good value for money instead of this monstrosity....

P.S
Second place .....Sorry thought this looked to much like shipping containers.....
Though no doubt they would have came in handy when they need to sell the exhibits to finish paying for this crap....
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)