New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: New Transport Museum at Riverside

Postby sds » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:55 pm

big/davie wrote:how much did the science centre and Glasgow tower cost in comparison :?:.

Science centre cost £72m, according to: http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/sc ... lasgow.htm
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby big/davie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:10 pm

yoker brian wrote:Prime Structual Steel has risen by 46% per ton in last 18 months
Scrap Structural Steel has fallen from £300 odds to just over £150 in last 3 months - this is due to an over supply of scrap steel in the system.
what was the reason for the high prices,would i be correct in saying it was due to demand from the chinese market due to the olympics,thats also a huge rise for structural steel 8O

sds wrote:
big/davie wrote:how much did the science centre and Glasgow tower cost in comparison :?:.

Science centre cost £72m, according to: http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/sc ... lasgow.htm
thanks for that
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Steelwork arising at Yorkhill Basin, as
seen from EGEG Glasgow Heliport this
lunchtime, 8th December 2008.
I notice that the construction
company is called BAM.

Some years back, Glasgow District
Council gave their Cierva Autogyro
to the Royal Scottish Museum (as was).
So I'd guess that there'll be no rotorcraft
on display when museum opens.
Unless, say, Strathclyde Police want to
offer one of their old ones (à la Granda
tableaux).
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 am

an interesting viewpoint for the new building!

Have only passed on the new road, so haven't been able to really get a good look at this yet. Is that part of the cladding on the right of the pic? seems very early to get that started, and a bit large for a sample panel....

good stuff!
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Some concepts being considerd for the new transport museum.

Miniture Railways. Beannie Railplanes, oval public realms with central pontoons on the River Kelvin.

and historical shoe displays. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm

[tongue in cheek] I can see the down pointing camera being popular with teenage guys when the weather gets nice and the girls tops get lower.....'[/tongue in cheek]

Those plans actually look good, and in some ways give the building its real soul., and can help divert the attention from the building to the content. It;s a shame that the APT (with its connections to Exhibition Centre station) and also the blue train from Coatbridge could not be incorporated.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 am

Here's the artist's impression currently displayed on the hoardings round the site -

The suspicious-looking fence is a bit worrying...
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:52 am

Sunflower wrote:
The suspicious-looking fence is a bit worrying...

Why is the fence worrying? With a 7 metre drop off the quay side on a low tide I would rather have a fence to protect my children. Whilst most working quaysides don't have fences they also don't have families and children wandering all around them.
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dave2 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 pm

The sea walls at most coastal harbours etc don;t either.... a 3-4ft wall which can be leaned on would be much nicer than the fence idea... a place to stand and watch the world go by.

Anyway child safety is the responsibility of the parents providing the museum has made reasonable attempts...
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:50 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Sunflower wrote:The suspicious-looking fence is a bit worrying...

Why is the fence worrying? With a 7 metre drop off the quay side on a low tide I would rather have a fence to protect my children. Whilst most working quaysides don't have fences they also don't have families and children wandering all around them.

It isn't the presence of a fence/barrier that's worrying (I agree it wouldn't be nice to have people falling in), it's the nature of it.

Granted it is just an artist's impression and not worth getting specially hung up on details, but the fence as shown looks like a palisade (or cage might be another word), and why's it set so far back from the river? The worst interpretation is that the fence funnels people from the museum onto the Tall Ship, and no access is allowed to the riverside except through the museum. (Are whole chunks of river going to be inaccessible when the museum's closed?)

The development on the far side of the Kelvin (if that's ever going to happen now) looks pretty grim in terms of riverside use as well. I find it endlessly frustrating that the planners don't seem to see the riverside as an asset. But hey, just an artist's impession.....
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:56 am

Judging by the plan they are doing away with the mock up of Merkland St Subway station and just having a broadside view of a car :o
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 am

Yeah, but they've got some shoes!!!

*throws shoes*
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 pm

dave2 wrote:The sea walls at most coastal harbours etc don;t either.... a 3-4ft wall which can be leaned on would be much nicer than the fence idea... a place to stand and watch the world go by.

Anyway child safety is the responsibility of the parents providing the museum has made reasonable attempts...

I suspect a fence would be preferred by the architects given it is more open than a wall and would allow 'better' views across the river (from a distance) than would be possible with a wall.

The fence will also keep people away from the mooring facilities for the SV Glenlee which are shown rather simplistically on the architects visual. There will be numerous bollards, heavy chains, rollers and rubbing strips to hold the SV Glenlee in position given the various tides and river flows it will experience in its rather exposed location.
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 pm

I still think it looks more like a trench than a fence...

What's the score with parking a bloody great boat in front of just about the only notable feature from ground level anyway? Could they not have stuck it round the corner in front of one of the blank metal walls?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Josef aren't those your shoes?

Would love to see the railplane.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)