New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New Transport Museum at Riverside

Postby gap74 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:49 am

Zaha Hadid wins Transport Museum design contract
Reported today in The Herald:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/25821.html

No photos online as yet, although there's an impression in the paper itself - best way I can describe it is as a sort of large, ribbed, shiny silver lightning bolt, not really Z-shaped at all, as the article would have you believe.

The architect, for those who don't know, is a 54 year old Iraqi-born woman, her only other Scottish work being the Maggies Centre in Kirkcaldy. Other non-Scottish work includes the mind zone at the Millenium Dome (oh dear!), the Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art in Cincinatti and Vitra Fire Station in Germany. I'd direct you to her website, but half of it doesn't seem to work - might just be my antiquated PC set-up here in work though!

Here it is anyways: http://www.zaha-hadid.com

I dunno, think I like it!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Zaha Hadid wins Transport Museum design contract

Postby nodrog » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:40 am

gap74 wrote:best way I can describe it is as a sort of large, ribbed, shiny silver lightning bolt, not really Z-shaped at all, as the article would have you believe.

Oh good, just what we need - another big shiny building near the river!

:)
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Zaha Hadid wins Transport Museum design contract

Postby red_kola » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:02 am

gap74 wrote:best way I can describe it is as a sort of large, ribbed, shiny silver lightning bolt, not really Z-shaped at all, as the article would have you believe.

There is a picture in today's Herald. It's not online, alas. It does look impressive from above; I can only describe it as looking like the strata in some severe geological folding. What it will look like from ground level, I have no idea...

[EDIT]Then I remembered I worked in an office with scanners and stuff... :idea: [/EDIT]

Last edited by red_kola on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:05 am

It kinda looks a bit like one of those stylised maps of Scotland that you get as the logo in programmes like Scotland Today - wonder if that's intentional??

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:00 am

Actually, I think it looks more like a blob of solder. A big one mind you. :wink: With the price of steel going through the roof that project ought to come in at, oh, five times over budget?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:26 pm

Has someone just melted a load of cutlery and called it a design?
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:31 pm

:evil:
It's an advert in form of a sytlised Z.

Yet again, a major Scottish project and no Scottish architect. Don't we breed them?

£50 million for a museum?

Now convince me weren't getting porkies from day one if something as important as the Scottish Parliament building, which by its very nature should be more complex and functional than a transport museum, was launched with a build cost of £40 million.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:12 pm

That looks bloody awful - who actually decides to go ahead with designs like this? Do the people of Glasgow have any say in the matter?
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:27 pm

Well, I think it can only be an improvement on the Kelvin Hall, which is in a dire state! Zaha Hadids work is fantastic, she has a real flare for internal spaces so I wouldn't be too quick to judge on the basis of the one image they have released of it as it doesn't really give a true perspective.

Also, in respect to budget, as this is a local scheme, I doubt we'll have to worry about a repeat of the Holyrood fiasco as GCC simply doesn't have the money for a bail-out on the same scale and no-one else in Scotland will be interested in supporting it (financially).

As for the selection process, no, the citizens of Glasgow didn't have a say in it: we elected representatives to do it for us.

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:33 pm

I agree it is endlessly disappointing that Scottish architects arent getting selected for such prestige projects.

But, and this is based solely on the pic in this thread, I reckon I might quite like this. Jury is out until more images have been made available.

It look like there is a genuine effort to create some original spaces within this building, rather unlike the cavernous science centre.

We'll see though, we'll see...
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby turbozutek » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:32 pm

It looks like someone has abandoned a stilletto heel boot.

Good god. I do think I could design a better building using only a sock and an orange.

:-(

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:03 pm

It just doesn't look any different to the plethora of 'silver clad weird shaped' building designs that we seem to have at the moment - although i guess making the model was easy, just melt a few boomerangs in the microwave and spray with silver spray paint - done!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ymc » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:26 pm

At the moment, I'm still a fan of Hadid's design. An example of what's currently called "blob architecture" :D

She's a fearless architect and for that I think she should be applauded. It's also good that something as radical as this is going to be built in Glasgow since we're a fearless and radical city!

However, all aspirational cities are looking for their iconic blob building now and soon there will need to be something else to differentiate.
ymc
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:31 pm

Who cares what it looks like!
It is going to be full with old buses and trains and tram cars and steam engines and boats and bikes and I cant wait till it's open.I hope they will use the dock beside the museum and use it as a marina,How good would a restored 'Carrick' look there. :D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:53 am

There's a couple of pics from one of the other, non-winning potential designs on this page:

http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/mu ... lasgow.htm
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)