Visit of the Pope to Glasgow June 1982

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Visit of the Pope to Glasgow June 1982

Postby My Kitten » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:23 pm

Being the saddo that I am spending far too much time on Ebay I came across some slides of the Popes visit, and thought hey 99p that'll be worth a wee look and be something unusual to have in the Glasgow collection of bits and bobs on my shelf.

So I did and the slides came today

http://www.emmar.org.uk/Scan0003.JPG

http://www.emmar.org.uk/Scan0004.JPG

http://www.emmar.org.uk/Scan0008.JPG

http://www.emmar.org.uk/Scan0011.JPG
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:08 pm

Great pictures Enmar. I had a ticket to go in 82, and missed it. The first Pontiff to visit Scotland in 450 years and I had the Chicken Pox . I was sure Pastor Jack Glass had something to do with it :wink: ::):
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:55 am

And of course you can still see the low white wall that was built as part of the stage in Bellahouston park.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:20 am

JamesMc wrote:And of course you can still see the low white wall that was built as part of the stage in Bellahouston park.

So that's what that was. There was me thinking it had been part of the Empire Exhibition.....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Paper Hankie » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:37 pm

Have a look at the photograph of the Catholic Pavilion at the Empire Exhibition (on the virtual Mitchell website).
The white wall in Bellahouston Park looks as if it could easily be the base of the Catholic Pavilion, going by the shape of the hill at that part of the park.
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:42 pm

A much younger version of myself was there and I took a few pictures of ra pope. Should really try to dig them out. there will inevitably be a veritable Carruth's Grotto of papal visit memorabelia somewhere at my parents' house.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:24 pm

Paper Hankie wrote:Have a look at the photograph of the Catholic Pavilion at the Empire Exhibition (on the virtual Mitchell website).
The white wall in Bellahouston Park looks as if it could easily be the base of the Catholic Pavilion, going by the shape of the hill at that part of the park.

I was always told that it was part of the popes visit, my friends who lived in Govan told me it was known as the Popes wall.

I wasnt there as Im not of that persuasion but we used to go up and sit on the wall as you had a good view of Mosspark.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:49 pm

Yep, i always remember it being referred to as "the pope's wall".
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pope @ Bella

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:11 pm

ET

Pope heading for Bellahouston Park

Published on 16 Mar 2010

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to celebrate Mass before an all-ticket crowd of 150,000 at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow during his state visit to the UK, the Evening Times can reveal.

The Pontiff will fly by helicopter to Glasgow after arriving in Edinburgh on September 16 at the start of a four-day trip to Britain.

The visit has come about after a personal invitation from Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who has met the Pope three times.

It is nearly three decades since Pope Benedict’s predecessor, Pope John Paul II, celebrated Mass at Bellahouston Park on a baking hot day on June 1, 1982, in front of 300,000 worshippers.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Visit of the Pope to Glasgow June 1982

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Will he chose Steven Purcell's successor when he's here?
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Johnny_Gogo wrote:Will he chose Steven Purcell's successor when he's here?

You are a naughty boy...... but I like you. ::):
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to celebrate Mass before an all-ticket crowd of 150,000 at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow during his state visit to the UK, the Evening Times can reveal.

The Pontiff will fly by helicopter to Glasgow after arriving in Edinburgh on September 16 at the start of a four-day trip to Britain.

Stuff Bellahouston Park; I'll be on Dechmont Hill with my Rapier missile battery. :twisted:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 pm

No Whore of Babylon in Scotland.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Johnny_Gogo wrote:Will he chose Steven Purcell's successor when he's here?

Can you cut out the subliminal anti catholic/anti gay undertones to your posts - its not big & not clever - the forum is one of the few places that is sectarian/bigotry free and I'd prefer i would stay that way
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:00 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:

Stuff Bellahouston Park; I'll be on Dechmont Hill with my Rapier missile battery. :twisted:

There will be some kind of demo against the state funding for the visit by some kind of coalition of LGBT people, pro-choicers, and, eh, mothers of diabetic daughters who believe stem cell research offers her the greatest hope of ca cure.

I'll be there.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)