David Holgate.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

David Holgate.

Postby mercury » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Sad to say that my cousin David Holgate passed away today. You may remember David's photos of Glasgow trams and buses which were posted on H.G.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: David Holgate.

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:41 pm

sorry for your loss.david will forever be fondly remembered for as long as hg is around.rip. :(
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Sorry to hear of your sad news.

I've avoided this site nowadays because it is filled with spam, logging on today was no different and the only recent post was bad news.

My condolences to all concerned.

And message to moderators - clear up the trash or like many others, my bookmark to this site will go in the trash too. How a great old dame of the Glasgow Forum's has been allowed to crumble, so sad.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 am

I used to pick up David from his house each week, go to the Drumchapel Camera Club and take him back home. He was registered as being blind and l offered to "fix" hundreds of his old photos of Glasgow including Maryhill and Drumchapel (like myself we lived in both those areas and left Maryhill for Drumchapel in the early 1960s). It took me months but it was worth it just to see his vast collection of photos over a period of 40+ years. David was one of the most intelligent guys l have ever met, he could hold a conversation on almost any subject. I will miss David not only as a fellow photographer but also as a good friend.
RIP David
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 pm

In 2015 Waverley Books approached me about supplying a number of photos for the book DEAR GREEN SOUNDS that they were going to publish. I agreed on the understanding that they also publish a photo that David had taken in 1987 of the Apollo Theatre being demolished; they agreed and our photos appeared on the same page (125). David's name is mentioned in the Acknowledgements page 184 (page 125). When l told him he was pleasantly surprised and happy to be associated with the book. Although we never discussed it I'm sure over the years David would have had a number of his photos published in books, magazines etc .. David really was a great guy and a legend in Drumchapel.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Condolences one of us!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)