Glasgow Cinemas - now I have competition!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Cinemas - now I have competition!

Postby nodrog » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:21 pm

So in my role as Glasgow cinema ubergeek, I was somewhat miffed to discover my website is now not the only game in town!

There is now a site at

http://www.glasgowcinemas.co.uk

...which is rather flashily designed, and has lots of nice archive photos on it (if in infuriatingly small sizes).

I wouldn't mind someone else setting up shop on my patch - the more folk interested in this sad subject the better! - but the bloke that has set it up hasn't even had the courtesy to link to my site, or even reply to a friendly emailed greeting. Not polite!

So gap74 and I have plans to fight back - tighten up the presentation on my site (definately its weak point!) and improve the quality and quantity of info available. Stay tuned for some very interesting new material we will be adding soon.... :)

First step of this process is registering a proper domain name for the site - from now on you can get to it at the much more easy to remember;

http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk

Please do drop by if you're passing or have urgent need to know the seating capacity of the Odeon Renfield Street Screen 8....

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:45 pm

The guy who has set this site up N is a big film buff. He used to have a double unit upstairs’ in DeCoursey Arcade way back about 17years ago, Selling all kinds of film memorabilia

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

glasgow cinemas

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:11 pm

Don't worry Nodrog we'll only be plugging your site.

And that address again is http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk :wink:

The place for Glasgow Cinemathusiasts!
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:15 pm

Cheers for that plug! :)

To be fair, my site does cover further afield than just Glasgow (although that was its initial focus) and this usurper has a slightly different slant - I'm keen to record what is there _now_ (hence the 'surviving' part!) and put it in context of what it was like before.

His site is more purely archive based, which is fine, and I think the two sites could compliment each other quite nicely, if he was willing to work with me.

But I do feel not answering the email, and pretending I don't exist, is cheeky at best and downright rude at worst!

G.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:31 pm

That guy put his address on the site!

Brave move.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow cinemas

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:55 pm

Personaly having only touched the surface of http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk/ you certainly have a more comprehensive and a far more appealing site than your alleged rival, fear not Nodrog yours is by far the most user friendly than the other guy's effort.

A night out at the Cinema was quite an event unlike a present day visit.

But thanks to your efforts you've afforded me and plenty of others on here the pleasure of a great deal of good memories of going to the pictures as it was called in the olden day's by capturing these places before they have vanished for ever ::):

Cheers 8)

PS: don't forget my plug at any future book launch :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:17 pm

Nodrog I cannot believe that the survivingcinemas guy has listed the Black Cat in Springfield Road as in Bridgeton ... michty me.... neither the Bridegton or Parkhead punters would be happy about that; matter of fact Dalmarnock is nearer to the location than Bridegton. [/i]
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:06 am

escotregen wrote:Nodrog I cannot believe that the survivingcinemas guy has listed the Black Cat in Springfield Road as in Bridgeton ... michty me.... neither the Bridegton or Parkhead punters would be happy about that; matter of fact Dalmarnock is nearer to the location than Bridegton. [/i]

Oops. Fixed :)

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:52 pm

I agree with you guys. How rude not to mention your site. He will of course have come across your site before, so he is clearly and deliberately becoming a rival.

As I sit here browsing his flashy, but very incomplete site, savouring the sixth Mr. Kipling Viennese Whirl of the 6-pack, I wonder what he is trying to achieve over you. Could he not have joined with you guys to create an all encopassing site?

I also wonder if he has permission to use all the Scottish Screen archive stuff. He probably works for them. As I have always found them 'up their own arses' in the past. What can I say, jobs for the boys and all that (read family & friends & the same old faces). Yes, I believe there was a nepotism scandal......
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aliferste » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:53 pm

And he didnt even mail you back.....the cheeky monkey!!!
What you have got to do is get yourself some good hard links with people you know with websites then YOUR site will be above his site when people search in google. Also submit your site to the google drectory toot sweet if you have not done already. :!:
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aliferste » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:57 pm

Oh OHHHH and make sure all your photos are watermarked in case he nicks them.....and get good hosting for your site...you can get good hosting for around a tenner a year for your site.
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aliferste » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:13 am

Sorry about this being my 3rd post on this.....but when I search for "old glasgow cinema" on google I cant find your site. Another reason to get it in google directory :)
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)