Lifts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Speedbird » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 am

I know.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:13 pm

The most unusual lifts are the patenosters (spelling), which can be found in the Pontecorvo Building, University of Glasgow, Dumbarton Rd. They are open and move up and down all the time without stopping you literally have to jump on and off and if you miss the top or bottom floor get trapped in the pit or loft until the lift engineer can get you our.

Mark.
Mark
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby AMcD » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:28 pm

Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Napalm » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:42 pm

Those look bloody dangerous! cool pics
Napalm
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:47 pm

Thanks for the post Mark.

I was sure there were no paternoster lifts in operation nowadays, for obvious reasons, so had never bothered to search for them. Now HG goes and strikes another win by connecting me to one on my own doorstep (guess who wasn't a GU student too:roll: )

Obviously I haven't seen the GU one, but since a paternoster is jump-on/jump-off, how can you get trapped in the pit or loft, as the car should just carry on round the loop, and doesn't know its got a passenger :?:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:29 pm

Speedbird wrote:1b.

The good news bit: falling lifts are the stuff of films. As far as I know, (and somebody will now correct me) thanks to Mr Otis, catastrophic failures in cable lifts have not resulted in fatalities.

*I don't know the full story, but I remember reading that two people were killed in a lift in Russia a few years back.
It was a large television tower or something similar.
Ok, ok, it WAS on fire at the time, but still..... ;-) *

According to http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/aug20 ... -a30.shtml they died of suffocation.

"According to recent reports, four people died in the fire: three fire fighters and an operator suffocated as fire caused the elevator they were riding in to stick in the shaft before plunging down."

This is partially backed up by the BBC report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/monito ... 903942.stm

They were killed when the lift they were in crashed to the bottom of the tower. It was followed by the lift's counterweight and some three kilometres of cabling.

We have one breathing apparatus between the three of us. We are suffocating

"Even experienced rescue personnel who recovered the bodies from the lift shaft said this was a terrible death", the TV said.

"The lift cabin carrying the three did not fall immediately," it went on.

"First, the lift was stranded at a height of 250 metres. It became red-hot. It was plunged into complete darkness and the cabin filled with smoke.

"The last words which Col Arsyukov managed to report to people on the ground were: 'We have one breathing apparatus between the three of us, we are suffocating.'"

"Soon the cables snapped and the lift plummeted, smashing through the concrete floor and burying itself seven metres into the basement."

It suggests that the cause of death was suffocation, although had they survived this and the 250 m fall, the counterweight and 3km of cabling would probably have reduced the chances of survival somewhat.

Tallest building in Europe by the way - a fact well worth remembering for a pub quiz :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:16 pm

Thanks, I knew I had read about it somewhere at the time.

What a hideous death that must have been!

Now you know why they say not to use a lift in a fire, but I wonder if they had any choice??

Ostinkino Tower - better remember that for this fictitious pub quiz! ;-)

I only have to remember the Ostin bit as Kino is, of course, German for Cinema and no doubt a derivation of a word like Cine.

Das Kino.

Ostin..... am I the only one to instantly think of Odin and not the type of car??
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:16 pm

Heh. GCBP lifts.
That brings back memories! Back when I was doing TV Production there, when it was just our class in the lift we used to play Lift Pinball.
Pick one person to be the Ball, and batter them off one another and the walls as hard as possible!

Hey, it was more fun than it sounds :S
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:24 pm

It would be even better if you were to get an unsuspecting ned and just batter them around ;-)
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:32 pm

Neds are the main reason the windows in the GCBP are welded closed.
Apparently one dropped a chisel from the 7th storey once, and it went through someone's car!
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:38 pm

You still can open them up to a certain point, but yeah, that action sounds like the action of one of Glasgows finest.

Just as well it didn't go through someone instead!!

7th floor are the computer suites are they not??
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:27 am

The paternoster lift that featured in The Prisoner was boarded up in 2001, however pictures from an earlier visit to this very feature in 1991 are now available, interesting if for no other reason than the lift was in a secure area of the GEC-Marconi building that housed it. Doesn't say if anyone tried to ride all round the loop (up one side and down the other without getting off).

http://www.theunmutual.co.uk/gec.htm
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:24 pm

According to a post on b3ta, there's a company called schindler who make lifts.

Otis, who've already been mentioned, have a base in Reading.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Schindler's Lift? :)
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:18 pm

the lifts that are used in the sheriff court are hydraulic ones that if the oil pressure drops the lift stops moving

in the district court at turnbull st there is one of the old cable lifts made completely of wood and still go`s strong even to it frequently carries prisoners and officers daily

ive heard many of our staff called bangers including myself now thanks to the slang dictionary i know what it means im either

1. A sausage. The English meal of sausages and mashed potato is traditionally called bangers and mash.
2. A delapidated car.
3. A small firework that is explosively loud but visually unstimulating.

stannah fitted the lifts in the sheriff court.......thought they made lifts for oldies :?

:? 8O
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)