Lifts

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Simba » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:03 pm

allyharp wrote:
Simba wrote:I wanted to go up the tower this week, cos they are doing it at 1pm every day, but have letures at that time all week. :(

Conveniently my last lecture is 12 tomorrow and 1 on Friday. Where do you go for this?

Cloisters, I think. There's posters about somewhere. On second thoughts, I occasionally have a fear of heights. Couldn't make it up the clock tower in Bruges about 5 years ago, but managed up the CN Tower alright, whether a lift has anything to do with getting me up it, I don't know! So I may not be able to go up! ;p
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:14 pm

Simba wrote:
allyharp wrote:
Simba wrote:I wanted to go up the tower this week, cos they are doing it at 1pm every day, but have letures at that time all week. :(

Conveniently my last lecture is 12 tomorrow and 1 on Friday. Where do you go for this?

Cloisters, I think. There's posters about somewhere. On second thoughts, I occasionally have a fear of heights. Couldn't make it up the clock tower in Bruges about 5 years ago, but managed up the CN Tower alright, whether a lift has anything to do with getting me up it, I don't know! So I may not be able to go up! ;p

The tower in Bruges is awfully small and cramped inside - I had to wait ages on the bit midway up while people came down from the top. Not for the fainthearted!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:27 pm

Aye, reminds me of the nightmare I had in the tower of Pragues Catherdral, 300 steps, no control as to how many folk went in or out, 35 degree heat outside. no windows, nothing.
People thinking "och its only a few steps" then stopping half way up to have a heart attack, there was a few panicky moments, not for the faint hearted in the midst of a heatwave.
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:48 pm

Ally Doll wrote:
Simba wrote:
allyharp wrote:

The tower in Bruges is awfully small and cramped inside - I had to wait ages on the bit midway up while people came down from the top. Not for the fainthearted!

I got as far as up about 20 steps to the large open area, then decided I couldn't go any further! My fear of heights started on that trip to Belgium actually, coming down the Atomium, particularly the original wooden escaltors from Expo 58, made me feel very claustrophic and I did not like it at all! So you have all been warned if I'm going up the tower!
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:53 pm

Simba wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:
Simba wrote:
allyharp wrote:

I got as far as up about 20 steps to the large open area, then decided I couldn't go any further! My fear of heights started on that trip to Belgium actually, coming down the Atomium, particularly the original wooden escaltors from Expo 58, made me feel very claustrophic and I did not like it at all! So you have all been warned if I'm going up the tower!

I couldn't go up the Atomium, it was shut for a refurb when I was there :( Sounds pretty scary though! I hear it has reopened now, all shiny and cleaned!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Lifts

Postby allyharp » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:23 am

Pointless bump, but I've just found myself lying in bed remembering this thread. I never did go looking for that paternoster, but think I might have to go for a poke around this week. Will provide pics if I do!
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Ta for bumping this, I'd not read it before. I imagined paternosters would've been banned years ago actually; my old man told me once that Napier Poly had one in the Sixties, and that some fella in his class rode the thing all the way round to see what would happen (as you do). Not a lot did happen, of course; just a glimpse of some machinery at the top. I had a looksee on Wikipedia just now and the things look deadly; I'd like to think they got the name because you say your prayers before using one (I say this as someone who gets mildly nervous on escalators :oops: ). Hope you get some photos :D
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby mrsam » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:59 pm

Is the GU paternoster hard to get at without the correct authorisation, I'm tempted to go see but I don't even have a GU uni card to my name, anyone fancy setting up a guided tour for those not lucky enough to have access?

Cool bump BTW
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)