Whitecrook STreet, Clydebank--still exist?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:37 am

whitenee wrote:I love the picture of Whitecrook Park! It reminded me very much of Marine Park in South Boston, Massachusetts, with its bandstand!

That could so easily be my brother & me, playing on that "roundabout" I still have a visible scar on my foot from stepping on broken glass in the pond whilst "paddling". I was down there last week & the pond had gone, when exactly, I'm not sure. The bandstand still exists and is in use at the Clydebank Shopping Centre.

now, the thing about most of these pictures I have is that I have no idea who the people are, where exactly they were taken, or the time frame on most of them.

Sometimes, if the detail is clear enough, information can be gleaned from the School Uniform, Badge or Tie (if worn) I doubt though that they would be worn at the time of your photo's.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:14 am

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/whitenee/c002da71.jpg[/img]
grammar school photo

[/img]Image
sports photo
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby whitenee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:18 am

here are the two photos. one of the grammar school class, and the other ? what sport or team or year is beyond me?

I followed the instructions for posting via photobucket, but I don't know how to make the pictures smaller once they get on this site.
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:21 am

Just select "Edit" in the box above your photo, this will then give you the option to downsize by 50% or 75%, this is usualy done before posting, but it can still be done afterwards. :wink:

There is information on the frame but it is cut off, what does it say? Is there info on the other frame? Did you remove the photo's from their frames? Sometimes there is info written on the back of pics. I notice a set of railway tracks in the second photo, perhaps one of our Railway Experts can help here.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:12 pm

the sports photo is just a camera photograph, with no writing on either side. the school portrait was obviously done by a studio, but the only clue is that lower left hand corner. I've been luckier with some of my grandmother's other pictures as they have studio names and locations on them, and I've been able to generally date them (through another site) according to style and era of the photos themselves.

*i assume the "edit" button that you speak of is on the photobucket site? if i edit these pictures from that site, will i need to do anything here to resize them?*

does the uniform sport shirt give any clues?
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby whitenee » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 pm

thank you for your help! i see that it worked!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Whitecrook STreet, Clydebank--still exist?

Postby vinnypurcell » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Whitecrook St does indeed still exist, although it was badly damaged during the blitz. I've just spoken to my mother, whose family lived at 55 Whitecrook St. She told me that all the familes who lived at no. 55 fled the building on the second night of the blitz as the situation was getting too bad. There was, however, one woman, a Mrs. Peedy (sp?) who decided to stay in the air raid shelter at the back of the building. She was unfortunately killed when the shelter took a direct hit.
vinnypurcell
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 am

whitenee wrote:I was wondering if Whitecrook Street, Clydebank still exists? My grgrandmother lived at 55 Whitecrook St. in 1926. Thanks

I live in Whitecrook and only a short distance from Whitecrook Street. I have a DVD on the Clydebank Blitz, send your postal address to my email address and l will send you a copy...l mean, l will send you the DVD!!!!

[email protected]
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 am

I've been able to see Whitecrook Street on google maps. Is There any way (online) to check who has resided at 55 Whitecrook from 1928 onward? MacFarlane and Simpson are both family names that lived at 55 Whitecrook.
thank you!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 pm

i am whitecrook born and bred,myself and family are all still in the scheme.im sure we could muster some helpfull info between us.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gochasco » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:12 am

banjo wrote:i am whitecrook born and bred,myself and family are all still in the scheme.im sure we could muster some helpfull info between us.

That's not Tony banjo, is it? Coincidence, or was the banjo a popular instrument in Whitecrook?
gochasco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:25 pm

gochasco wrote:
banjo wrote:i am whitecrook born and bred,myself and family are all still in the scheme.im sure we could muster some helpfull info between us.

That's not Tony banjo, is it? Coincidence, or was the banjo a popular instrument in Whitecrook?

The banjo is a popular instrument everywhere the roads are bad and consanguinity flourishes.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Luco » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Whitecrook St in Clydebank was also the scene of a murder in a drinking den in 49 Whitecrook St earlier this year.

http://www.thefirmmagazine.com/news/109 ... ictim.html
Luco
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)