Whitecrook STreet, Clydebank--still exist?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Whitecrook STreet, Clydebank--still exist?

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:21 am

I was wondering if Whitecrook Street, Clydebank still exists? My grgrandmother lived at 55 Whitecrook St. in 1926. Thanks
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:58 am

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby whitenee » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:41 am

Thank you for the link to the map! I've only just learned about the Clydebank Blitz (how ignorant we americans can be!), and I didn't know if Whitecrook was an area where people were killed. Thanks again!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:26 pm

Hi whitenee,

I live not to far from Clydebank, I'm off work this week so if I get a chance I'll try and pop along and take a photo of Whitecrook Street, I'm unsure if any pre-blitz property exists.

Brian
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Back again

Just checked the http://www.clydebankrestoration.com website

Although the list of Casualties is by no means complete, it does look as though numbers 57 & 59 Whitecrook Street took a direct hit during the blitz, which isn't that surprising as it is less than 500 yards from what was the John Brown Shipyard.

Below are the details of those people who lost there lives in Whitecrook Street.

Borland, Georgina, age 43; of 57 Whitecrook Street. Daughter of Mr and Mrs William Robb, of Holburn Street, Aberdeen; wife of John Pebbles Borland. 14th March, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Borland, John Pebbles, age 44; of 57 Whitecrook Street. Son of Mr and Mrs William Borland, of 13 Easwald Bank, Kilbarchan; husband of Georgian Borland. 14th March 1941, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Bradley, Cathrine Haggert, age 24; of 57 Whitecrook Street. Wife of James John Bradley. 14 March 1941, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Dunn, Grace, age 43; of 72 Second Avenue. Wife of John Dunn. 14 March 1941, at 59 Whitecrook Street.

France, Janet, age 54; of 57 Whitecrook Street. Widow of Archibald France. 14th March 1941, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Fraser, Margaret, age 42; of 12 Pattison Street. Wife of Alexander Fraser. 13th March 1941, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Furmage, John, age 33; Son of George and Margaret Low Furmage, of 162 Thistle Street, Camelon, Falkirk; husband of Margaret Furmage of 16A Bute Street, Falkirk. 14th March 1941, at 57 Whitecrook Street.

Postby whitenee » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:18 am

Thanks for the help! I've just looked at a list of casualties and #55Whitecrook is not listed at all, nor is my grgran, Agnes MacFarlane

The info on the John Brown Shipyard helps me a bit. Not knowing anything about the Glasgow area of that time, I never knew what shipyard it was the my grgrandfather worked. The family story is that my grandmother, Kate, when she was a little girl, would bring the his lunch pail to him down at the shipyard around noon time. (now, I wonder how I'd go about getting names of workers at that shipyard for early 1900's? see how one piece of infomation can lead to a totally different path??)

Thanks for the info. Could anyone direct me to an online map of Glasgow / Clydebank early 1900-1941?
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:32 pm

whitenee,

Some information of the clydebank shipyards is available here

http://www.welcometoclydebank.org.uk/history/shipyards.shtml

Sadly the John Brown Yard has been closed for some time, but the local council has plans to revitalise this area and open up the river front to the local population (bars/ restauraunts / housing etc)

Yoker Brian

PS send me a private message with an email address and I will send you some photographs of Whitecrook Street
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Whitecrook STreet, Clydebank--still exist?

Postby sarahmu » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:13 pm

[color=green][/color] YES WHITECROOK STREET IS STILL THERE IN CLYDEBANK. IN FACT, MY DAUGHTER LIVES AT NO. 75 AND A FRIEND HAS RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOUSE AT NO. 46.
REGARDS
SARAH
sarahmu
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mrlipring » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:33 pm

YOUR KEYBOARD IS BROKEN! I CAN ONLY THANK GOD THAT YOU MADE AN ARSE OF MAKING IT GREEN TOO!

::):

Welcome to here though. :D
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:03 pm

mrlipring wrote:YOUR KEYBOARD IS BROKEN! I CAN ONLY THANK GOD THAT YOU MADE AN ARSE OF MAKING IT GREEN TOO!

::): ::):
I didn't know until just there that we could change the colour of text :idea:
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:43 am

This is a good site for photographs of Old Clydebank:
http://www.theclydebankstory.com/sitemap.html
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:29 am

thank you, one and all, for your responses and helpful links! you've been kind to keep this thread going!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby whitenee » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:46 am

just had a look at the above recommended site--very informative, and the schools listed for whitecrook neighborhood will give me a lead in tracking down the few grammar school photos I have from my grandmother. Thanks!
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:36 pm

Whitenee, if you ever get around to Scanning those School pics, I'd like to see them.

ps. One of Whitecrook Park in case you miss it.
http://www.theclydebankstory.com/image. ... =TCSA00135
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby whitenee » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:10 am

I love the picture of Whitecrook Park! It reminded me very much of Marine Park in South Boston, Massachusetts, with its bandstand!

I have at least one grammar class picture already scanned, but I've tried several time before to post pictures to this site, and I am absolutely not tech enough minded to accomplish it! LOL--i'll send it on to you if you'd like.

now, the thing about most of these pictures I have is that I have no idea who the people are, where exactly they were taken, or the time frame on most of them. some of the studio portraits I have can be generally time dated. this grammar school photo may/ or may not have been taken when her family lived at Whitecrook street. Prior to living there, they lived at 60 Kyle Street, Glasgow; and also 9 Morrin Square, Glasgow. (I have no idea at all if these streets are anywhere near the Clydebank, or a long way away).
whitenee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)