Mud Larking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mud Larking

Postby Chudleigh » Sat May 28, 2016 5:29 pm

An increasingly popular pursuit for tourists to London is to go searching the banks of the Thames for lost objects, from Victorian and Georgian coins to Elizabethan tiles. Does anyone know of any similar mud-larking in the Glasgow area?
Chudleigh
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Mud Larking

Postby Targer » Sat May 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Midden raking perhaps?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun May 29, 2016 8:28 am

a wee peek into the odd skip.seen some fishing rods in one yesterday but I aint into fishing.bikes and golf clubs aye fishing stuff naw. :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby octavia » Sun May 29, 2016 6:16 pm

could try area near Erskine just east of the bridge ,or around banks of the Clyde opposite Broomielaw at low tide..
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Sounds interesting , but I would imagine that there are less places in Glasgow with a shore line with such concentrations of artefacts having built up. I would love to be proved wrong as finding such a site would be a dream come true for this geek.

There are certainly places where you can find stuff ( mYy experience is with rivers in the general area but not the Clyde ).

If you know the right spot you can find stuff, but don't expect much beyond the odd broken ceramic marmalade jar or occasional screw top lid. That is the truth and I would not want anyone to have false expectations.

A better bet in Scotland is to search one of the former and now decayed landing piers used in the pleasure steamer days and have a close look around. You might find nowt, but you never know? I have found things ranging from old 303's to a sporting medal from 1880 odd, with an inscription about who won the thing. And if you really stare hard and long you might find the odd coin. I have a lovely pair of 1940's silver Half Crowns in minto condition.

Anyway, you have given me an idea for a new HG thread. Cheers and happy hunting. VT : - )
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Mon May 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Mud larking as a tourist attraction...?
My understanding of london by-laws makes, what you call mudlarking ILLEGAL, and subject to criminal proceedings.
In fact those few actual 'Mud Larks/Historical relic hunters", are licenced and very restricted as to where and what they can
collect/find/dig for.
Also, remember, most of the banks of the Clyde in question are real hazards, with vast areas of shifting sand and mud.
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pingu » Tue May 31, 2016 11:20 am

as above id say the other side of erskine bridge would be your best bet but as also said above, id expect it to be a very dangerous persuit in these parts.
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Haven't seen the Clyde quite so low as it is just now in ages...

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:34 pm

That would be promising for finds, but I would ensure you have left provision for a funeral. Leave that to the pros. I might let on a few locations in the new thread should enough cash be offered?

A place where 20mm cannon shelling was carried out. Bullets and shells a plenty? 2 groats and you have the grid ref : - )
Real site btw.
Just ask.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:36 pm

gap74 wrote:Haven't seen the Clyde quite so low as it is just now in ages...

G, that really is low. Not as inviting as the London ones from time team. Definately not a white sanny day?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:29 pm

fourbytwo wrote:Mud larking as a tourist attraction...?
My understanding of london by-laws makes, what you call mudlarking ILLEGAL, and subject to criminal proceedings.
In fact those few actual 'Mud Larks/Historical relic hunters", are licenced and very restricted as to where and what they can
collect/find/dig for.
Also, remember, most of the banks of the Clyde in question are real hazards, with vast areas of shifting sand and mud.

Nope, not the case. As long as you are not disturbing the foreshore you don't need a license and its not illegal. I found a old tudor 'comb' last year, right outside Greenwich Palace. I'm sure Henry VIII must have used it.
More info here:
http://golondon.about.com/od/londonforfree/fr/Mudlarking-In-London.htm
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:02 pm

From the articles I've seen the Thames is pretty much stoney whereas the Clyde is mud, you might need a metal detector, and life insurance. If you've one of those fangled contraptions try the shore down Dumbarton way, bullets a plenty down there.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)