Mystery department store

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mystery department store

Postby anbu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Does anyone remember a department store called Gauld's on East Campbell Street, near the Barras?
The building is still there. It was the Saracen tool works, then Gauld's, then a flooring place. It's now Wasps on the upper three floors and Glasgow Collective on the ground floor.
The guy from the Glasgow Collective told me all this but I can't find a single mention of the mysterious Gauld's. Although there is apparently their logo - a G with knitting needles through it - in an old part of the building.
I did find these old pics of the building on the Barras Calton website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anbu
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Mystery department store

Postby banjo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm sure I can recall the knitting needle and balls of wool logo from a shop front(not dept store size though).I was thinking a small woolshop called galls.maybe gaulds though.wheres Robert pool when you need him? :?
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:42 pm

banjo wrote:I'm sure I can recall the knitting needle and balls of wool logo from a shop front(not dept store size though).I was thinking a small woolshop called galls.maybe gaulds though.wheres Robert pool when you need him? :?

Galls rings a bell with me to and that logo.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:44 pm

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Mathieson tools are highly sought after and can be found on ebay from time to time. I will at some point get round to buying a few for the collection :-)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:54 am

once again Robert,i salute you sir.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm almost certain that Galls had a store in Springburn when I was a nipper. My Mum and Gran were both avid knitters and I'm fairly sure I was dragged in there regularly when they were stocking up with wool.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 pm

peasy23 wrote:I'm almost certain that Galls had a store in Springburn when I was a nipper. My Mum and Gran were both avid knitters and I'm fairly sure I was dragged in there regularly when they were stocking up with wool.

I thought there was one on Maryhill Road near D.M. Hoey and also one on the southside in Shawlands.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:45 pm

from my 1962 Kelly's Directory

Image1962 Gall & Co (Cash Drapers) Ltd, Glasgow by Robert Pool, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tomvox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:32 pm

I remember the branch in Cathcart Road very well. It was my mother's shop of choice for her knitting wool. Many a time I stood totally uninterested in the merchandise as she was being served. It never was a young boys type of shop.
tomvox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:40 pm

I remember the Galls in Duke St along with Templeton, Galbraiths, John Collier, McCandlish fruit shop. Now, we've got Cash Converters :cry: progress I suppose
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Nearly sure that there was a Galls just inside the entrance to the old Partick X subway station (renamed Kelvin Hall). Think it must have been where the Sense charity shop is now.

My older sister was a great knitter and would buy her wool from Galls. They would put the full amount aside for you so that you could just buy what you needed on a weekly basis, but without the risk of ending up with a different dye number.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bonz » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:29 am

Hi all,

I was on The Glasgow Chronicles Facebook page last night and they have posted a fabulous picture of the Locarno Ballroom back in the day. It's the shop to the right you might want to see.

Thank you to The Glasgow Chronicles Facebook page for the picture!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:01 am

that's the very dab bonz.would be the 498 sauchiehall st branch then. :)
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)