Agnes Hislop Memorial Libraries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Agnes Hislop Memorial Libraries

Postby hound dog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Anyone any memories of visiting one of these as a child? Founded 1946 but seem to have been active at least into the 1970's if not later. About 10 across the Glasgow area and think they were mainly in houses and just open one day a week, but at least one was held in the Phoenix Park Kindergarten at Cowcaddens.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Agnes Hislop Memorial Libraries

Postby moonbeam » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 pm

I seem to recall someone coming round Oakbank Hospital in around 1949 giving kids books -they were very used- from this group. Only reason I know because I threw out a kids book with a John Bull type stamp on it with that name a year or so ago. I think I got discharged from hospital before they came round to take it back.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Agnes Hislop Memorial Libraries

Postby hound dog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks for that - they appear to have also visited various places to provide children with books, as I read that they did regular story-telling sessions in Eastpark Home at one stage.

A lot of their books were donated from better-off families with children who had outgrown the books, so by the time they were passed round a number of times I can imagine that they would be less than pristine ::):
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)