Commonwealth Games opening in pictures

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Commonwealth Games opening in pictures

Postby escotregen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

I'm far from being a regular reader of the Telegraph, and we might all have our reservations about the early part of the Opening ceremony, but I thought this selection of images was amongst the best I've seen:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/commonwealthgames/10987438/Commonwealth-Games-opening-ceremony-in-pictures.html?frame=2985040
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Commonwealth Games opening in pictures

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 am

I am away from Glasgow just now, as I made sure that the holiday this year coincided with the games to avoid the chaos caused by the lockdown of parts of the city.

I caught the end of the opening ceremony last night on TV. Someone should have given Council Leader Gordon Matheson coaching before he was allowed anywhere near a microphone. Given his screeching and squealing I can now see why he is not in the public eye as often as some of his predecessors.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 am

Thought this was "The Friendly Games". The L.P. must have scared off a few folk with his ranting, sounded as if he was at a Hitler Youth rally. Only other down point was John Barrowman kissing the guy totally unnecessary O.K. run off hand in hand to give the message. Other than that a good show. Oops he's not L.P.
Last edited by mercury on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 am

Seems that the Games are really bringing out the positivity in some Glaswegians ;-)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 am

Watched from Oz and the scenes from the Opening Ceremony were terrific. But what about our local commentator, watching from the confines of his studio in Melbourne or Sydney while watching, returned to the action by saying ... "we now return you to the action at Celtic Park, home of Glasgow's most famous football club, the 'CELTIC RANGERS !'

I guess that's what happens when you install a wannabee nobody celebrity as an expert commentator on something they know nothing about !

As an 'expat Scot', I was totally scunnered !

Tombro :oops: :oops:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

tombro wrote:Watched from Oz and the scenes from the Opening Ceremony were terrific. But what about our local commentator, watching from the confines of his studio in Melbourne or Sydney while watching, returned to the action by saying ... "we now return you to the action at Celtic Park, home of Glasgow's most famous football club, the 'CELTIC RANGERS !'

I guess that's what happens when you install a wannabee nobody celebrity as an expert commentator on something they know nothing about !

As an 'expat Scot', I was totally scunnered !

Tombro :oops: :oops:

Tombro, find that man & toe his baws :roll:
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Oh that's just embarrassing Tombro! Who said that? (fellow expat in Oz)
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm

It's endemic... few years back visiting Houston Texas I found the locals unfailing polite and welcoming (in a kind of USA way). In a bar or at a function I almost invariably met this response:

Texan resident (not always indigenous Texan):Gee what accent is that, Irish... Scottish?

Me: Its Scottish (I'm proud to say)

Resident: Wow we love the Irish, I gotta introduce to Wayne/Lorne/Randy... whatever

Me: Sure, but I'm Scots

Resident: Shouts into the general disorder "WAYNE! (or whatever) get yourself over here,we've a Houston visitor!

Enourmous Wayne (or whatever) arrives and resident tells him ,'"This is Ed, he's Irish, believe it?"

Wayne (or whatever): "Awe Jeez, we love the Irish"

Me: Yes thanks, but I'm Scots and proud of it

Resident:Yep, the Irish are the real originals

Wayne (or whatever): Sure are... what do they drink, I'm buying..

(I learned from the accompanying locally resident relative to just go with it so long as the free Guinness was served (as it always ways - great hospitality indeed)
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)