Thank goodness for the CW games

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Thank goodness for the CW games

Postby BTJustice » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm

HelenD wrote:There's an athletics meeting at Hampden. Last night we had a helicopter circling for well over an hour, providing TV pictures to the BBC. It's a tedious noise. On and on it goes, drilling into one's soul. It's back again today and no doubt we'll have a couple of weeks of it when the CW games are on. Oh joy :(

At one point there were two of them hovering about Hampden;

ImageHampden athletics by route9autos.co.uk, on Flickr

And the shambles with the road signs on Saturday morning meant a 45 minute journey to Asda. I got to Kings park ave coming from Menock road to see a sign telling me Aikenhead road was closed. So a left turn then a right onto Carmunnock road to go via Prospecthill road only to find Prospecthill road closed. All the way down to Alison street then back onto Aikenhead road. Got to Asda and Aikenhead road was open as normal.

All for 20 minutes of busy at the end of the day (by which point Prospecthill road was open).

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Glasgow 2014: Closure of bike routes ‘absurd’ From The Scotsman
http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-3452730

by ALASTAIR DALTON
Published on the
22 June
]

COMMONWEALTH Games organisers have been criticised for closing major cycle routes and siting bike parking up to half a mile from venues – despite urging spectators to pedal to events.

Three sections of the national cycle network (NCN) in Glasgow, used by hundreds of cyclists a day, will be shut during the Games for venue security. A stretch of route seven along the Clyde beside the SECC – a traffic-free path into the city centre from the West End – will be cordoned off, even though it is outside the venue’s security perimeter.

The SECC and Hydro will host events such as gymnastics and netball.

Cyclists will have to use roads, including busy Argyle Street, but cycling developers Sustrans has called for all the bike paths to be kept open.

Route 75 – which goes to Edinburgh – will be closed in Glasgow Green, beside the Games’ festival hub, with cyclists switched to main roads such as Ballater Street and London Road.

Another stretch of the route will be shut further east, beside the Athletes Village in Dalmarnock.

Spectators cycling to Hampden Park will have to leave their bikes at Holyrood Secondary School, ten minutes’ walk away, according to the official maps.

Bike parking for the mountain biking at Cathkin Braes is a third of a mile from the entrance.

Games organisers see cycling as a key part of transport to events. The official Glasgow Get Ready website advises: “Walking or cycling is a great way to get around the city, especially with public transport being busier than usual at Games time.”

Sustrans Scotland director John Lauder described the closures as “very disappointing”.

He said: “We fully understand the need to make sure the Games are safe and secure for everyone. But we don’t understand why on the one hand people are being encouraged to cycle and walk to events, but are being discouraged from doing so with routes that are complex, fiddly and avoid high-quality infrastructure, such as the NCN.

“Glasgow 2014, who are managing the closures and diversions, must ensure the routes are kept open for the duration of the Games.”

Kim Harding, director of the Edinburgh Festival of Cycling, said: “It strikes me as absurd to close cycle routes and remove cycle parking when you are trying to encourage active travel among spectators.”

Dave Brennan, an organiser of the annual Pedal on Parliament lobby of Holyrood for cyclist safety, said: “Glasgow, which is already being criticised for its poor approach to cycling, once again demonstrates its lack of vision with regards to active travel.”

Ian Maxwell of Spokes, the Lothian cycle campaign, said: “It is great cycle facilities have been created in connection with the Games, but absolutely daft they cannot be used during the actual event, thus causing disruption both to spectators and to cyclists who need to use these routes to go about their everyday journeys.

“Treating cyclists in this way makes a complete mockery of the green and sustainable credentials of the Games.”

However, Cycling Scotland, which is funded by the Scottish Government, said the Games would boost cycling, despite the restrictions. Chief executive Ian Aitken said: “I’m sure the Commonwealth Games will inspire many people to get out on their bike.”

A Glasgow 2014 spokeswoman said there would be “some restrictions to traditional cycle routes where they fall within venue security perimeters, but designated walking and cycling routes will be clearly signposted.

“We appreciate the temporary re-routing of some parts of the NCN may cause some short-term inconvenience for regular cyclists. We’ll continue to ensure measures are taken to enable as many people as possible to cycle. This has included installing parking provisions for 1,000 bicycles.”

She said there was no parking at venues because of “operational safety reasons in areas that will be densely populated with spectators. In certain locations, bike storage is as close to the venue entrances as we can safely put them.”
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 pm

BTJustice wrote:
HelenD wrote:There's an athletics meeting at Hampden. Last night we had a helicopter circling for well over an hour, providing TV pictures to the BBC. It's a tedious noise. On and on it goes, drilling into one's soul. It's back again today and no doubt we'll have a couple of weeks of it when the CW games are on. Oh joy :(

At one point there were two of them hovering about Hampden...

Dave

I know. I saw them. And for one horrible moment I thought they were going to breed. 8O
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am

Take your marks for the 100 meters dash for the lavvy!

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/282853- ... -to-start/
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm

HelenD wrote:
BTJustice wrote:

At one point there were two of them hovering about Hampden...

Dave

I know. I saw them. And for one horrible moment I thought they were going to breed. 8O

::):
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 pm

The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Oh dear. So many negative, bitter opinions in this thread!
I went for a walk along to Glasgow Green on my lunch break and mingled with the crowds. It's great to see so many Glasgow people buzzing around (without the help of Evo-Stik).
It seems that I'm a minority on this board with that opinion. I'm grateful for the Commonwealth Games and feel proud to be a Glaswegian.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Well, that's three times I've tried to get a job at the damn thing, and three times I've got a knock back. So fuck 'em. I have officially lost what little interest I had to begin with.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Blueboy wrote:Oh dear. So many negative, bitter opinions in this thread!
I went for a walk along to Glasgow Green on my lunch break and mingled with the crowds. It's great to see so many Glasgow people buzzing around (without the help of Evo-Stik).
It seems that I'm a minority on this board with that opinion. I'm grateful for the Commonwealth Games and feel proud to be a Glaswegian.

Well good for you. Now, away back to the city chambers with you.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Oh, and by the way, folks, keep your ears to the ground for a rather juicy scandal that's in the offing.

I can't name names, but I have it on good authority that a very senior member of Police Scotland has been caught with his flies open. Definitely a case of "Practice what you preach". ;)

This is being kept strictly under wraps until after the Games are over.

You didn't hear it from me...
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 pm

Fat Cat wrote:

::):

Aye & stop screaming into microphones, prince Philip near peed himself :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:08 am

Map handed out to Games tourists ..

.. maybe. ;)

I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, it is inconvenient!
Yes, travel and parking are a nightmare!
Yes, the uniform is a wee bit twee!
Yes, the opening ceremony was kitsch!
Yes! We have many social issues in our city!

BUT!

Yes, the atmosphere is great!
Yes, our visitors are having a great time!
Yes, our city is looking fantastic!
Yes, our athletes are doing a terrific job and making us proud!
Yes, I am proud to call Glasgow my home town!
Yes, I am proud to be Scottish!
Ok the sunshine is a coincidence! I will give you that one. (Even the wee shouty council fellow couldn't pull that one off)!
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Fat Cat wrote:

::): ::): ::):
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Doorstop wrote:Map handed out to Games tourists ..

.. maybe. ;)

The dennistoun bit is wrong. They wish they lived in the west end. (See the Dennistoun website pubs thread for details)

Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)