New Buses in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New Buses in Glasgow

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:52 am

For any frequent bus travellers, who may be interested, here are some new buses that will be in service, in glasgow in late November, or later this year.

First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby putty shankleton » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:44 am

They do look hideous, however I doubt if they will be on the 41 service. Those ex Manchester buses that have dominated that route ( the double door/double deckers ) are horrid as well!!. They have hardly got any leg room when I sit down :).

Ahhh bring back the days of the PTE. Maybe the buses would look nicer if First got rid of the ' barbie two ' paintscheme?. Old Corporation colours would be nice..:)
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:02 am

Is it any cleaner than the current crop? I get choked when i let the bus infront of me pull out...it's like smoking havana cigars when i go from one end of Partick to 't other..... :roll:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:41 pm

putty shankleton wrote:They do look hideous, however I doubt if they will be on the 41 service. Those ex Manchester buses that have dominated that route ( the double door/double deckers ) are horrid as well!!. They have hardly got any leg room when I sit down :).

Ahhh bring back the days of the PTE. Maybe the buses would look nicer if First got rid of the ' barbie two ' paintscheme?. Old Corporation colours would be nice..:)

Im not sure as of yet, on which services they will be running on. But the goal is to get rid of the older buses on the road. The high frequency routes ( those with 'colour lines' ) will have the priority over those routes less frequent, to recieve the newer buses.

I do agree with you, those Dennis Dominators, that dominate routes such as the 41, 59 and 20 are horrid and uncomfortable.

I do however, think the above pictured buses have nice and spacious interiors. Some people dont like them because of the bodys, and that they look quite futuristic. Especially the Wright Eclipse, and Wright Eclipse Geminis ( double decks). They are the type of thing, you either love them or hate them.

The Volvo 'nordics'( small picture, sorry i couldn't find a better example ) are also very good, Those are tri axle buses, and have a high capacity of seating. There great for the routes that have a high demand for passengers.

As for the liverys, im not in favour of the 'Barbie two' either. It just seems as though it doesn't fit, somehow? :?

The first corporate ('barbie 1'), i think is quite nice, and the interiors look very smart.

Pictured below is an image of a First Group bus with corperate interor from a "Transbus Enviro" model. This is just to show an example of the First corporate interior; This bus is not in service in glasgow though. (Also, in the picture, shows a diffrent design of seat which is installed in buses being brought to glasgow.)

First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:49 pm

The_Clincher wrote:Is it any cleaner than the current crop? I get choked when i let the bus infront of me pull out...it's like smoking havana cigars when i go from one end of Partick to 't other..... :roll:

::): Dont drive down Union street in your car ::): ......

All new buses bought buy First Group in Glasgow are being fitted with environmentally friendly, low emission engines, so it shouldn't be as bad. Though, some of the buses that run through partick already have the same engines. Especially on routes such as the 62.

I'm sure that in that situation it will be the older type buses that cause most of the problem. You even smell the exhaust fumes inside the 'old buses'
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Speedbird » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:34 pm

putty shankleton wrote:They do look hideous,

Eh??

No they don't

Maybe the buses would look nicer if First got rid of the ' barbie two ' paintscheme?.

I don't have any problem with and personally cannot understand what all of the fus is about.

On the Scotrail group, they are having the same argument because of Scotrail being taken over.
Those people obviously want everything painted Maroon or similar as it was in the 50s' and 60s' and cannot stand any new or remotely different liveries......
People should tell them to move on.

:roll:

I give up

Old Corporation colours would be nice..:)

Nice idea, but the livery is just too outdated and would not be carried by the new busses well IMHO.

I personally think that London has the right idea - paint everything red, so that there is nothing to complain about.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:15 pm

First Bus Driver wrote:Some people dont like them because of the bodys, and that they look quite futuristic.

Am I alone in thinking that any designer or organisation that uses the word 'futuristic' on somethng they have produced just couldn't come up with anything better and wasn't prepared to admit it? :cry:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:30 pm

Apollo wrote:
First Bus Driver wrote:Some people dont like them because of the bodys, and that they look quite futuristic.

Am I alone in thinking that any designer or organisation that uses the word 'futuristic' on somethng they have produced just couldn't come up with anything better and wasn't prepared to admit it? :cry:

that was me that used "futuristic", not the "Robert Wright" company. I use that word, because i here so many comments about the buses, especially on the interiors. Everything on the 'Eclipse' body is curved or rounded. ::):
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:45 pm

:)
I was just generalising too. Hoping for some comments on 'modern design'.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:00 pm

Apollo wrote::)
I was just generalising too. Hoping for some comments on 'modern design'.

it would have been a more appropriate term :oops:
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The_Clincher » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:49 pm

Union Street? :?: 8O
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:12 pm

The_Clincher wrote:Union Street? :?: 8O

::):
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DMcNay » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:21 pm

This isn't really a "photography" thing though, is it?

Get it in tae Coffee Lounge or Random, where it belongs...

At least that way I'll know where to avoid it...
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:24 pm

Boys, behave. Please! Although, i'll shift it to coffee...stand by.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby putty shankleton » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:50 pm

First Bus Driver: Do you have or know where to get scans of the old Gartcraig Bus Garage in its prime?.
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)