New Buses in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:44 pm

putty shankleton wrote:First Bus Driver: Do you have or know where to get scans of the old Gartcraig Bus Garage in its prime?.

I do not, sorry...
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby putty shankleton » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:56 pm

I always loved this livery..

putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:27 pm

Form follows function.

And the livery has a sort of comfortable and friendly feel too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:53 pm

putty shankleton wrote:I always loved this livery..

8O those are the old days. I don't think i was even out of primary school when those buses where in service.

I always thought the SPT orange livery was the best, but i am a fan of the First 'Barbie 1' livery, it just comes across as a clean and neat presence. 8)
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: New Buses in Glasgow

Postby scotia47 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:01 am

*WARNING: Slightly anorak-ish content*

First Bus Driver wrote:Image

I've seen these out and about on Maryhill Road on the no. 40 (Clydebank to Easterhouse) route. Have yet to travel on one.

I remember First introducing "Bendibuses" a few years back, similar to this one:

http://www.colourpoint.co.uk/archivephotos/5477.jpg

They used to show up quite often on the no. 61 (Summerston-Sandyhills) route. I quite liked them. They helped ease overcrowding which sometimes occurs with the normal single-deckers, while still providing easy wheelchair/pram/buggy access, something unvailable with First's current double-decker fleet. However, in more recent times they seem to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. :? FBD, would you happen to know where they went?

While I'm where I'd like to voice my opinions on destination displays (told you this would be anorak-ish). Most of the newer buses have green dot-matrix screens. These are OK during the day, but I find that they're often poorly lit at night and hard to read. However, some of the vehicles have orange displays instead. I find these a lot clearer and easier to read, especially after dark. Any chance they'll make an appearance on more of the fleet? :D
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:14 am

but i am a fan of the First 'Barbie 1' livery, it just comes across as a clean and neat presence. 8)[/quote]

Yeah, same here.

It is a bit like Porterbrook liveries on the railways'.

The 47s' (47807 & 47817) with the white sides and cab window surrounds really did look good, I have to admit.

Even the D*ltic looks' good!
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: New Buses in Glasgow

Postby First Bus Driver » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:04 pm

scotia47 wrote:*WARNING: Slightly anorak-ish content*

First Bus Driver wrote:Image

I've seen these out and about on Maryhill Road on the no. 40 (Clydebank to Easterhouse) route. Have yet to travel on one.

I remember First introducing "Bendibuses" a few years back, similar to this one:

http://www.colourpoint.co.uk/archivephotos/5477.jpg

They used to show up quite often on the no. 61 (Summerston-Sandyhills) route. I quite liked them. They helped ease overcrowding which sometimes occurs with the normal single-deckers, while still providing easy wheelchair/pram/buggy access, something unvailable with First's current double-decker fleet. However, in more recent times they seem to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. :? FBD, would you happen to know where they went?

While I'm where I'd like to voice my opinions on destination displays (told you this would be anorak-ish). Most of the newer buses have green dot-matrix screens. These are OK during the day, but I find that they're often poorly lit at night and hard to read. However, some of the vehicles have orange displays instead. I find these a lot clearer and easier to read, especially after dark. Any chance they'll make an appearance on more of the fleet? :D

Many of the older "Bendibuses" have either been taken out of service or transferred to other citys across the country. From what i heard, Aberdeen got them.

As you said above, the newest Models are out about on some routes such as the 40 and 62 etc. There are also some operating out of larkfield depot too.

I know where your coming from with the displays. The 'flipdot' displays are sometimes even hard to read during the day.

Currently, the only buses that have L.E.D displays are operating out of Larkfield Depot, on Victoria Road. I dont think there is any plans to convert any of the current fleet to the L.E.D displays, although they did convert the VT's ( Tri Axle Buses ) to the L.E.D displays. They have also converted many SS's that operate out of larkfield to L.E.D's.

Many Sv's, that have appeared to have faulty displays have been updated to the latest Hanover Flipdot displays.
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:54 pm

I was told by a driver the bendy buses were taken off the 61 route because they had difficulty making turns in one of the narrower sections of the route (he did tell me where, but I've forgotten) through a housing estate.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:46 pm

Oh my God, this is the most excruciating topic ever!!!!1
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby First Bus Driver » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:10 pm

kn0wledge wrote:Oh my God, this is the most excruciating topic ever!!!!1

dont read it !! :roll:
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby First Bus Driver » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:11 pm

thecatsmother wrote:I was told by a driver the bendy buses were taken off the 61 route because they had difficulty making turns in one of the narrower sections of the route (he did tell me where, but I've forgotten) through a housing estate.

Was it Sandyhills?
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby j m g » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:20 pm

interesting design. what's the propellor for?
">?<)_><?"^*<>^"><+_@+_^>?(~"^>.:<;<)
j m g
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby First Bus Driver » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:01 pm

j m g wrote:interesting design. what's the propellor for?

::): We will be using that for the express services, so we can take off over the traffic and cut down journey times. 8) :)
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby First Bus Driver » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:51 pm

If this thread is so horrible and boring, why continue to read it?

Obviously their is some people interested, to be asking questions about it.

However, I don't really care what you think of the thread!
First Bus Driver
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:09 pm

This thread, as far as I can see, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with hidden or old aspects of Glasgow. You are basically using it as an advert for First Bus, who are probably one of the shittest bus services I have ever had the misfortune to travel on, and they have the worst customer services ever.

So please, if you want to advertise First Bus, take out a paid advertisement slot somewhere. Don't do it here.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)