bad driving

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

bad driving

Postby octavia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:49 pm

i have held a driving licence for over 30 years and driven many hundreds of thousand miles,in cars ,vans ,hgv s ,and even motorbikes,, but in past few years I have spotted a pattern!, . it seems to be volkswagen drivers that cause the most greif on the roads ,eg, daftness, cutting in or out ,speeding,tailgating etc, and its usually vw golf drivers. is it just me?
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: bad driving

Postby Boxer6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 pm

octavia wrote:i have held a driving licence for over 30 years and driven many hundreds of thousand miles,in cars ,vans ,hgv s ,and even motorbikes,, but in past few years I have spotted a pattern!, . it seems to be volkswagen drivers that cause the most greif on the roads ,eg, daftness, cutting in or out ,speeding,tailgating etc, and its usually vw golf drivers. is it just me?

Hmm…. well, I too have held a driving licence for over 30 years (34 to be exact) and now drive a Golf; but, I don't tailgate, cut in, or (usually) speed, so I'd say it's just you!! ::):

Mind you, I do ALL those things when I drive other vehicles!! ;)
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:46 am

I've been driving for over 30 years as well (33 to be exact) and I thought it was folk who drove Audis and BMWs who caused all the problems :)
That is apart from the yobs in Corsas with extra large exhausts, who are in a class of their own 8O
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:37 am

i will stick to being a [bad} cyclist.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 am

I don't think there is a 'brand' of car driver that drives badly, I think driving standards are generally worse than ever.

Rounabouts - it used to be 'give way to traffic on the right'
Nowadays, it's 'I'm going and feck you.'

Anniesland Cross, coming from Crow Road or Anniesland Road there are two lanes clearly marked, one for City Centre and one for Clyde Tunnel (they're recent changes). I don't know how many times (and it's usually Private Hire Taxis) drive in the lane for Clyde Tunnel and then cut you up in the City Centre Lane as they head for Bearsden Road. They usually shout, bawl and scream abusively at you but when you ask them 'to look at the road markings' they go wild.

And then bus lanes, cycle lanes - grrr don't start me....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby octavia » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:42 pm

well said, Delmont , driving standards are getting worse. These days its harder to pass the test,cars are easier to drive,so why so many halfwits driving ? still think its vw,s .Not the car itself ,because they are pretty good, just the driver ,in many cases.
octavia
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:31 am

Ugh, don't get me started!

I was driving along Southpark Ave and there was a car waiting at the junction, as if waiting to turn left. I waited behind it for a while before realising she was just sitting there on her phone! I tooted and she pulled in slightly to the left. As I went round her she looked at me angrily and mouthed "I'm parked"! I was so appalled that I wound my window down and shouted incredulously "did you just say you're parked?!" She nodded and looked at me as tho I was stupid, so I politely informed her she was on double yellow lines AT A JUNCTION!

Sheesh.
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby thegazman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 pm

I drive a White Van :twisted:
I've got a little black book with my poems in...
thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 pm

kirstymaclaren wrote:Ugh, don't get me started!

I was driving along Southpark Ave and there was a car waiting at the junction, as if waiting to turn left. I waited behind it for a while before realising she was just sitting there on her phone! I tooted and she pulled in slightly to the left. As I went round her she looked at me angrily and mouthed "I'm parked"! I was so appalled that I wound my window down and shouted incredulously "did you just say you're parked?!" She nodded and looked at me as tho I was stupid, so I politely informed her she was on double yellow lines AT A JUNCTION!

Sheesh.
'

She's not 'parked' she's abandoned! It happens all the time, mobile phones (never a traffic cop when you need one) and they sit there believing that they're 'hard done to' when you toot the horn. On another note, travelling along Dumbarton Road at Whiteinch, there is a line of cars behind a bus loading and unloading (alighting passengers....ahem) and of course the traffic is moving freely on the other side of the road in the opposite direction. Suddenly one eejit decides to overtake the stationary bus and ends up coming 'head on' towards me, a blast of the horn from me and you've guessed it, abuse and gestures from him. Of course, I had no right to be driving on my side of the road, no right to be there at all....whatever happened to the rule, 'obstruction on your side, you have to wait until it's safe?....'
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Things reach a new low when you are tailgated down the M77 and on to the M8 by a patient transport ambulance before it overtakes and the driver turns, mouthing obscenities at you.....

Or when walking to the train and a woman reversing out her drive manages to hit me, not once but twice with the car!

I have generally noticed a massive upsurge in the number of cars pushing through lights on amber/red and through the green man too
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 am

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread, cause I've got started....

You got hit? I was hit twice by a woman reversing out of her driveway onto a main road... Highway Code informs us that it is 'illegal to reverse onto a main road.' Out of the driveway full throttle, bumps me, drives in and comes fleeing out...

Jeez
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 am

My average speed is 17 mph. :oops:
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 am

Bingo Bango wrote:Things reach a new low when you are tailgated down the M77 and on to the M8 by a patient transport ambulance before it overtakes and the driver turns, mouthing obscenities at you.....

Or when walking to the train and a woman reversing out her drive manages to hit me, not once but twice with the car!

I have generally noticed a massive upsurge in the number of cars pushing through lights on amber/red and through the green man too

If you got his number then complain to the Ambulance Service. All the vehicles are tracked so they can check the record to see where and when the vehicle was.
As an aside PTS vehicles are NOT allowed to use bus lanes as they are not classed as emergency vehicles, only the A&E waggons with warning systems on can do that.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm

octavia wrote:i have held a driving licence for over 30 years and driven many hundreds of thousand miles,in cars ,vans ,hgv s ,and even motorbikes,, but in past few years I have spotted a pattern!, . it seems to be volkswagen drivers that cause the most greif on the roads ,eg, daftness, cutting in or out ,speeding,tailgating etc, and its usually vw golf drivers. is it just me?

Nah....definitely Vauxhall Vectra/Insignia and Ford Mondeo drivers..... frustrated and angry salesmen that haven't yet earned the coveted BMW 3-series or Audi A4 that says they've truly arrived. Then they drive even more aggressively!! ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:59 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)