Burglar trying doors

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Burglar trying doors

Postby Verbal Kint » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 am

Hi All,

Had an interesting experience tonight a burglar/thief entered my property at 03:30 AM. I was sitting on my couch and just about to head to bed when they entered via my front door which was not locked yet as I was just about to before bed. I didn't have my main light on and had just turned off my TV but still had my laptop on.

I heard a noise and thought it was my wife going to the bathroom so I just said a friendly hello. Two minutes later my living room door opened slowly and a head poked round. I did what came naturally and shouted m*therfunster at the top of my voice. I surprised the guy to say the least and he started to run out my door I gave chase down my street and then into the next one unfortunately I was in my socks so didn't get too far.

Anyway contacted the police they have his description white male 5'8" cropped sides of hair shortish on top wearing a padded jacked jeans and trainers. Keep yourself safe at night folks doors locked and listen out for suspicious noises.

I live in the Whiteinch area so if you are also local keep an eye out for anyone suspicious or perhaps casing your home. He certainly got more than he bargained for when I gave chase I guess in someways it was lucky I was up so late.

Stay safe everybody.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Burglar trying doors

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks for the post Verbal Kint.

I too, live in the Whiteinch area and there has been an increase recently of 'attempts' to 'try' doors. I live in a tenement with security doors but more often than not, our beloved neighbours leave the door on the snib or unlocked! The result is that one of them lost their bike to an opportunist but hey, they still leave the bloody door on the snib when they've carried their shopping or boxes in.

My in laws also live in Whiteinch and they've had attempts made by folks jumping through the back gardens and trying the back doors and a couple of the neighbours have given chase before, sadly not being able to catch the buggers.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby old jock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 am

Jeez glad you're Ok!!

That must have been dammed scary.

I've been broken into and the guy downstairs disturbed them when I was out. I didn't feel violated or the place less of a home afterwards. I can understand why some move after an incident, especially one where you came face to face with the perpetrator at 3:30 AM.

Fortunately these things are relatively rare, but that's no consolation if it happens to you

Thanks for the warning

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I believe there's been an increase in the number of attempted access to secure entry closes recently. It seems bikes given as xmas presents are the intended target cos it's round about now the kids get fed up remembering to secure their pride and joy to the railings.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

lucky escape, I take it you'll be keeping your door locked all the time now ? I do & I hit the central locking in my car when I get in, people say if your in a accident people won't be able to get you out of your car, I say if I'm so badly hurt or jammed in my car the last thing I'll worry about is having my car window broken :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Tenement closes are easy to get into and give shelter to anyone wishing to steal bikes even if they are chained to a railing. A thief can remove or break the railing if it's a U Lock and if it's a cable lock he has plenty of time to cut it. Sometimes it's just easier to to break the rail.

As for lockable back and front doors on tenements there's always some clown who loses his key and somehow can't buy a replacement so the door is left open. He might as well leave his flat door open as an open invite.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Had recent "experience" with a burglar. A real master criminal I don't think! Guy stood up on a bucket-shoe prints- to cut a hole in my kitchen window with glass type cutter. Opened the window catch and climbed in. This about 4am. Dog slept on next door. Useless no biscuits for weeks!!!Anyway our "master criminal" drank a small bottle of cola from the fridge. Then put on rubber gloves to carefully steal a food mixer, two bottles of whisky a bottle of vodka and some soft drinks cans plus some crisps. Found the break in at 6.30am. Anyway the cops came round and the forensics guys did some swabs and got finger prints off the cola bottle, round the window and DNA from the coke bottle. Brilliant. They identified the guy within a couple of weeks. I guy in his 40s. The forensic guys showed me where he had used "marigold" type gloves-they leave a distinct imprint-on kitchen cupboard doors and on a small money box the wife has in a kitchen drawer. The few pounds in it had gone. To cap it all the marigold gloves were found in the back garden along with a glass cutter type tool! Finger prints and DNA again off the gloves matched the cola bottle.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:47 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Tenement closes are easy to get into and give shelter to anyone wishing to steal bikes even if they are chained to a railing. A thief can remove or break the railing if it's a U Lock and if it's a cable lock he has plenty of time to cut it. Sometimes it's just easier to to break the rail.

As for lockable back and front doors on tenements there's always some clown who loses his key and somehow can't buy a replacement so the door is left open. He might as well leave his flat door open as an open invite.

Pushbikes are always a target. I point I was trying (and clearly failing) to make was that there's more of them around at the moment - post Christmas - and that some owners are beginning to forget the lock it or lose it routine. Why nick a hard bike to nick when there's an easy bike to nick?

Re close entry. If you take the front panel off, you can usually switch off the 'services' access button. It might mean you have to get up to let the postie in but is that really such a problem?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am

moonbeam wrote:Had recent "experience" with a burglar. A real master criminal I don't think! Guy stood up on a bucket-shoe prints- to cut a hole in my kitchen window with glass type cutter. Opened the window catch and climbed in. This about 4am. Dog slept on next door. Useless no biscuits for weeks!!!Anyway our "master criminal" drank a small bottle of cola from the fridge. Then put on rubber gloves to carefully steal a food mixer, two bottles of whisky a bottle of vodka and some soft drinks cans plus some crisps. Found the break in at 6.30am. Anyway the cops came round and the forensics guys did some swabs and got finger prints off the cola bottle, round the window and DNA from the coke bottle. Brilliant. They identified the guy within a couple of weeks. I guy in his 40s. The forensic guys showed me where he had used "marigold" type gloves-they leave a distinct imprint-on kitchen cupboard doors and on a small money box the wife has in a kitchen drawer. The few pounds in it had gone. To cap it all the marigold gloves were found in the back garden along with a glass cutter type tool! Finger prints and DNA again off the gloves matched the cola bottle.

But these guys actually don't care if they get caught. It's a total way of life for them. This is their career choice 8O

Quite frightening to think someone is wandering about your house while you sleep.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:08 am

Hi fat cat. The guy was "known to the police". Agree. These guys just don't seem to care. Apparently he "owned up" to a few other burglaries and was sent down for a few months. Did not need to go to court. He will be back out and probably back inside. We are locking internal doors at night and the "dug" is sleeping on a warm blanket in a cage in the kitchen at night! But it makes you much more aware of security as we have just installed a cctv camera that covers the front door and driveway. Thus the postman was surprised this morning when I got to the front door before him. He had a parcel to deliver.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 am

My brother used to live in Dennistoun and the area was plagued by burglars. Idiots wouldn't even hide what they were doing. They'd go into a tenement and boot down your front door like they were the police or something. Nasty.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 pm

My close door is open regularly between March and October from 1pm to 5pm. Fortunately, to my knowledge there's only been one instance in the last 10 years of a "tourist" wandering a bit further up the stairs than they should and shoulder barging a door upstairs.

For some reason, we're quite particular in our close about keeping the door locked when we can... :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 am

I should know better than to tempt fate :roll:

Last night my neighbor caught a guy trying to get into our house.

Don't want to say any more as he's now in custody & a case is pending.

Maybe it's on the rise or maybe coincidence guess time will tell
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I clonk them on the noddle and stick them under the floorboards. The neighbours assume the moaning noises are just creaky timbers.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

old jock wrote:I should know better than to tempt fate :roll:

Last night my neighbor caught a guy trying to get into our house.

Don't want to say any more as he's now in custody & a case is pending.

Maybe it's on the rise or maybe coincidence guess time will tell

The neighbour or the housebreaker?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)