Helicopter crash on Clutha Vaults

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Helicopter crash on Clutha Vaults

Postby InkMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:13 pm

There is a beautiful poem going around Facebook by a man called Lee Gilmour regarding this awful disaster which can be veiwed here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-to-V ... 1295093836
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sonnyj99 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:12 pm

a wee bit over the top?
sonnyj99
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby busdriver » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Glasgow City Council, Clutha Appeal Fund

Anyone in need of support can call a dedicated helpline on 0141 287 0999

Anyone wishing to donate by debit or credit card should call: 0141 287 7878

Donations can also be made by cash or cheque at the council's Service Desk at: 45 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JE

Bank payments can be made to Clutha Appeal Fund: Sort Code: 83-44-00, Account 10804129

Appeal
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Being a retired member of Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Service we all received this communication this afternoon following the Scottish Government's / Scottish Fire & Rescue Service representatives visit to Calton Fire Station (first emergency fire crews responding to the Clutha Vaults incident). -

Helicopter Incident in Glasgow

CO Alasdair Hay was accompanied by Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill and Roseanna Cunningham, Minister for Community Safety at a visit today (Tuesday 3rd December) to Calton Community Fire Station, to meet officers and crews who were part of the initial attendance at the Clutha Vaults.
They acknowledged the courage, dedication and professional response throughout the process of rescue and recovery since Friday.
CO Hay paid tribute to fire and rescue staff who have worked closely with their colleagues from emergency services and partner agencies since the helicopter crash on Friday evening. He said:
“This incident was a very challenging, complex situation and I am extremely proud of my staff for such a dedicated and professional response.
“Whilst firefighters train for these sorts of emergency situations, the reality of actually dealing with them takes its toll on us emotionally and physically. It has been an extremely difficult time for everyone involved and I have the utmost respect for every single person who was part of this operation.
“I would also like to pay tribute to our Control room staff and support staff who have also worked extremely hard, ensuring a first class response to an extremely difficult incident which has affected people not just in Glasgow but across Scotland and beyond. Our thoughts remain with all those affected by this tragedy."
Ahead of a parliamentary statement by the First Minister at 2pm today, Ministers said the way the tragedy and its aftermath had been handled demonstrated the vital importance of Scotland’s fire and rescue service and the excellent work they do.
Mr MacAskill said:
“This has been a traumatic few days for Glasgow, and for Scotland, and we grieve the lives of the nine men and women lost.
“This morning, Ms Cunningham and I were privileged to meet firefighters, some of whom have been working round the clock at Clutha since Friday.
“As has been indicated, the search for survivors is now concluded. However, while we will learn more about how and why this tragedy occurred, these events have underlined that Scotland has a heroic fire and rescue service. I’d like to pay tribute to them all and everyone, emergency services and ordinary citizens alike, who helped in the rescue effort, we can be rightly proud.”
Ms Cunningham added:
“The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service played a key role as part of the emergency services response which undoubtedly saved lives after the helicopter crashed on Friday night, the way in which they responded to an incident of this scale is truly exemplary. Air accident investigators have described this as one of the most complex crash sites that they’ve ever worked on.
“We are all indebted to their remarkable courage and dedication, working on a hugely complex operation, the relief effort from all of our emergency services has been simply heroic."
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 pm

My girlfriend is an intensive care nurse and looks after some of the poor souls caught up in the Clutha tragedy. I am so proud of her. She is one heck of a special lady. Totally selfless and dedicated to those in her care. From the accident happening to her arriving at work must have been no more than 15 minutes even though she was off shift. To those who complain about our NHS please remember people like my Lynne who go way above and beyond what is required.
Love her to bits :oops:
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Scotty100 wrote:My girlfriend is an intensive care nurse and looks after some of the poor souls caught up in the Clutha tragedy. I am so proud of her. She is one heck of a special lady. Totally selfless and dedicated to those in her care. From the accident happening to her arriving at work must have been no more than 15 minutes even though she was off shift. To those who complain about our NHS please remember people like my Lynne who go way above and beyond what is required.
Love her to bits :oops:

She and all the Nurses are real stars - ask any Fireman, we all seriously rate them as they do the long term hard work. :wink:
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Amazing how many Firemen (as they all were back in the day) marry nurses (and nurses also marry cops for that matter as well).

My best mate is a retired fireman (last Station Pollock and for many years stationed at the Old South Station) he also married a nurse and rather ironically was in attendance at the previous police helicopter crash at Eastwood Toll, when the helicopter hit the side of a block of flats in terrible weather (it was snowing).

I think we also need to mention the work of both the Ambulance crews and officers (I also have two friends in that service) on the day.

I'm also married to a nurse who has dealt with the consequences of the crash and as with Scotty and the Fireman I'm lost in admiration as they have to deal with the longer term injuries.

Finally I have to say, at a time when the Con-Dem politicians spend their time running down and degenerating public service workers we are reminded about how important they are and what we owe them at times like this. Support the fire fighters in their dispute over pensions. Could you have seen a 60 year old fire fighter dealing with this?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:01 am

Having read and watched the news tonight, it appears that the initial findings regarding the helicopter is; there is no mechanical fault and there was 95 litres of fuel, enough for 15 - 20 minutes of flying time.

I hope they quickly find out because I sincerely don't want to see a report claiming 'Pilot error'. I am also gravely concerned as are many that I know. Some are asking the awkward questions quietly in the background - not out of spite or malice and certainly not out of hatred. That big cross where the streets meet - could he have landed there? What about the site of the old Carrick? The questions started almost instantly, but too many were afraid to ask, make suggestions to be deemed as disrespectful and I admire them for that but I know from the glowing tributes the pilot received from his friends and loved ones, this man would have done everything possible to avoid crashing as he was experienced and knowledgeable.

I don't want to speculate, I've already heard three theories and only one is plausible in my view but my main concern is that dignity of those who died and their families is preserved. I sincerely hope that the pilot is not blamed if they can't explain it. I hope they find a reason for this terrible tragedy soon.

And a big thank you to all our supporting services...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:23 am

Being something of an aviation buff, I know pilots in trouble would try to avoid putting people on the ground at risk so my initial thought was that maybe he was trying to ditch in the river and didn't quite make it, but since there was no time for mayday and the rotors weren't moving at the time of the crash that seems unlikely now. It was just too quick to do anything.

I heard one aviation expert talk about a phenomenon where a copter basically 'sinks' rapidly into the downward moving air below it, but if the rotors weren't moving there wouldn't be any downward moving air, so it's still a mystery.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Botanic Squirrel wrote:Being something of an aviation buff, I know pilots in trouble would try to avoid putting people on the ground at risk so my initial thought was that maybe he was trying to ditch in the river and didn't quite make it, but since there was no time for mayday and the rotors weren't moving at the time of the crash that seems unlikely now. It was just too quick to do anything.

I heard one aviation expert talk about a phenomenon where a copter basically 'sinks' rapidly into the downward moving air below it, but if the rotors weren't moving there wouldn't be any downward moving air, so it's still a mystery.

Watched a programme years ago about this, it's called bad air, the chopper eventually blows all the surrounding air away from it if it sits static in the same spot for too long & it drops like a stone, there's nothing the pilot can do to recover it, early reports said he had closed the fuel feed to prevent a fireball on impact. so is it a possibility that they were overlooking the rail line for too long ? the bad air scenario also takes any chance of gliding out of the equation too, but time will tell.
God bless all the poor souls involved.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Watched some of the highlights of the funerals of the victims, this really shouldn't have happened. It is when watching congregations gather, that I feel the impact of this tragedy more than ever.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 am

The air accident investigators have so far ruled out a number of things which narrows the field of possible explanations. So we know what it wasn't, which doesn't tell us what it was. The process of elimination has not yet yielded a singular remaining cause. We have merely eliminated some of the impossible and there remains a good deal of improbable. We should not form theories ahead of our data, so the great detective advised us. Given the preponderance of computerised ECUs and other systems in modern aviation it would be premature to start whispering about pilot error where software error remains a possibility. Humans, generally speaking, do not suffer unknowns for long and so rumour and superstition creeps in. Be patient and let the investigators do their job.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:35 am

sandabound wrote:
Botanic Squirrel wrote:Being something of an aviation buff, I know pilots in trouble would try to avoid putting people on the ground at risk so my initial thought was that maybe he was trying to ditch in the river and didn't quite make it, but since there was no time for mayday and the rotors weren't moving at the time of the crash that seems unlikely now. It was just too quick to do anything.

Watched a programme years ago about this, it's called bad air, the chopper eventually blows all the surrounding air away from it if it sits static in the same spot for too long & it drops like a stone, there's nothing the pilot can do to recover it, early reports said he had closed the fuel feed to prevent a fireball on impact. so is it a possibility that they were overlooking the rail line for too long ? the bad air scenario also takes any chance of gliding out of the equation too, but time will tell.
God bless all the poor souls involved.

Thanks for that info.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

RDR wrote:Finally I have to say, at a time when the Con-Dem politicians spend their time running down and degenerating public service workers we are reminded about how important they are and what we owe them at times like this. Support the fire fighters in their dispute over pensions. Could you have seen a 60 year old fire fighter dealing with this?

No one seems to bother about the 70 year old nurses, porters and others who will be looking after the victims :cry:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:35 pm

These Eurocopters have all now been grounded
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)