Shettelston

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Shettelston

Postby Alba10 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi all, can anyone help or give me some advice, my grandfather lived in 72 Denbeck Street Shettleston and his son lived in 34 Ducraig Street, Shettleston, my grandfather, James Mills Stewart died in The Victoria Infirmary Glasgow on the 9th December 1959 and his son James Stewart signed the death certificate, any help would be very much appreciated as I've been trying for quite some time to trace any living relatives. :?:
Alba10
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Shettelston

Postby ibtg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Have you posted on the glasgowguide forum?

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk

.... or Glesgapals http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/mainindex.htm

.... or GlasgaKeelies http://glesgakeelie.proboards.com/

They may be able to help with the living relatives and some Family History hints.

Good Luck. :)
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alba10 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:08 am

Many thanks to ibtg and Calamity for your advice which I will follow up and let both of you know how things go :D
Alba10
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby calamity » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Good luck pal... and check oot Parkhead History as well.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 pm

I think this may be the best place to ask. Does anyone know if the building on Shettleston Road previously occupied by John Wheatey college is now used for any purpose or is it empty?

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby busdriver » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm

InkMan wrote:I think this may be the best place to ask. Does anyone know if the building on Shettleston Road previously occupied by John Wheatey college is now used for any purpose or is it empty?

Shuggy

Academy House, 1346 Shettleston Road, Glasgow G32 9AT. Is still in use and provides office accomodation for various services including among others the local MP. The former School annexe in Academy Street is something to do with health advice.

I used to attend the then Eastbank Academy (The old one not the new) and returned their when it was John Wheatly College and was surprised at just how much of the interior had changed, quite a good building inside though the exeterior needs some work.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Fantastic Busdriver; thanks for that. It is such a lovely builing that I would hate to see it lay empty and fall into disrepair.

Thanks again

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:57 pm

busdriver wrote:
InkMan wrote:I think this may be the best place to ask. Does anyone know if the building on Shettleston Road previously occupied by John Wheatey college is now used for any purpose or is it empty?

Shuggy

Academy House, 1346 Shettleston Road, Glasgow G32 9AT. Is still in use and provides office accomodation for various services including among others the local MP. The former School annexe in Academy Street is something to do with health advice.

I used to attend the then Eastbank Academy (The old one not the new) and returned their when it was John Wheatly College and was surprised at just how much of the interior had changed, quite a good building inside though the exeterior needs some work.

As far as I was aware they were trying to let out the old Eastbank Academy/JWC building as office space the last time I was back in my homeland. As a former Eastbank Academy inmate I did my time in the new building ::): , I've actually only ever been in the old building once - and that was in 1983 on polling day when my parents were in to cast their vote!! I do distinctly remember thinking at the time - "I'm not looking forward to coming to this s**hole when I leave primary school!". Fortunately the new building had been finished by the time I was 12!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alba10 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Alba10 wrote:Many thanks to ibtg and Calamity for your advice which I will follow up and let both of you know how things go :D

Hi Calamity and ibtg, I got a bit of advice about going to the Mitchell Library and checking out the voters roll for that time and also to tell the staff what family I was looking for as they can be very helpful with this type of search, as always I'll let you know how things turn out, this may help others in my position. :D
Alba10
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)