Who lived in my house?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Who lived in my house?

Postby Gus » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:21 pm

My flat was built around 1890. I would quite like to trace back all the owners since it was built. Just out of interest as I have not found any skeletons in the plasterwork or anything!

Can anyone suggest how and where I would go about this? Preferrably without it costing money...

Gus.
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:37 pm

The 1891 and 1901 censuses are available to lookup at the Mitchell Library, so that would probably be a good start.

I believe they also have the Glasgow Post Office Directories. You can lookup the 1927 edition for free online here. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... x-glas.htm

Use the address pages....

*edit* Don't actually know if Cambuslang is that one... :oops:
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:53 pm

Nice call, Allan. Gus, you could also try your title deeds, which will show all the owners since the flat was built, and ask your local library for the electoral registers and the valuation rolls for each year since 1890, which will show the adult occupiers of the flat.
If it's just the owners, the title deeds (your building society or lawyer will have them - as for a photocopy) will do.
Let us know if any famous murderers or astronauts used to own your gaff!
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:00 pm

Cheers guys. Will give it a go.
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:25 pm

I got hold of my house's title deeds the other month... quite interesting to leaf through 120+ year-old documents written in the most indecipherable calligraphic script.

Turns out that the Oswald family feued the land and amongst its owners, James and Georgina Jane McDonald Walker (of Walker's Store, Dumbarton Road) lived here for a great number of years. Some new-age hippies also lived here for a while (neighbours reported that they used to dance naked in the garden).

Very interesting stuff. Everyone should have a scan of their title deeds. Not least for the servitudes/burdens included therein (i.e. fishing rights to the Clyde, restriction on number of horses to be kept in the back garden, etc. etc.).

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lightbody » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:14 pm

That 1927 directory is fascinating.

I managed to find my address, but it only showed 1 name against it, whereas its an 8-flat tenement block... what does that mean?
lightbody
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)