blue badge parking

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

blue badge parking

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Speaking of road signs .......... has anyone noticed a dramatic reduction in the number of parking arrangement signs bearing the wheelchair blue badge permitted logo thingy around the city centre?

There used to be loads saying things like 'no parking between 9.15 am and 4.15 pm except for [symbol for lorries] and {symbol for blue badge holders]'.

I don't see them any more.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: blue badge parking

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 pm

I've never driven a car in my life, so have no axe to grind over parking arrangements in existing parking spaces.

Purely from observation, then, a minimum of 90% of Reserved parking spots appear to be taken by very overweight people. Does disability cause, well, overweightness, or vice-versa?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm now a fat bastard but, whilst I was never an athlete, much of the weight and mobility problem is down to the Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonitis I mentioned last June.

In my defence, I don't use cars to get about much. Local stuff is via taxi. I'm getting better at using buses (my auld bastard card is actually a disabled bastard card) and took my first train in yonks last Saturday night (which I've mentioned elsewhere).

I could bore you for hours about the debilitating effects of my hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy - but you'd only assume I was going for the sympathy vote.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I'm now a fat bastard but, whilst I was never an athlete, much of the weight and mobility problem is down to the Cryptogenic Organising Pneumonitis I mentioned last June.

In my defence, I don't use cars to get about much. Local stuff is via taxi. I'm getting better at using buses (my auld bastard card is actually a disabled bastard card) and took my first train in yonks last Saturday night (which I've mentioned elsewhere).

I could bore you for hours about the debilitating effects of my hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy - but you'd only assume I was going for the sympathy vote.

Well, I live in Ireland and nobody pays a blind bit of notice to disabled spaces. Everybody seems to use them. And the ones with blue badges seem to be miraculously cured of their disability when exiting the car judging by the way they sprint into the bookies. :roll:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm probably going to get loads of stick for this, but does the blue badge give you the right to park on double yellows?

Where I live I'm next to said parking restrictions and I notice loads of "disabled" parking permit holders park on them and don't seem to get tickets.

A couple of things I think are questionable at best

The double yellows are there to allow adequate access for traffic swinging into the road, so how come disabled vehicles can park there, surely its for safety or its not?

The other thing is the number of abuses I see of disabled holders beggars belief, very few IMHO seem that disabled, by that I mean many with no obvious mobility issues and some with what appears to be maybe a stick, they also seem to be perfectly able to carry their shopping back the car too. Some badge holders park their vehicles there for up to a week at a time or longer. Given everybody else who has a car has to pay for a permit (if they can get one). I reckon its a bit unfair, not against the idea but the system seems grossly abused.

By the way I don't have a car so its not sour grapes on my part its just the conclusion I've come to from observation and NO I can't back it up with statistics, articles or sources before the evidence police put in an appearance.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pingu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

WHERE TO PARK

If in doubt at any time, you should check with the local authority.
Badge holders may park free of charge and without time limit at parking meters on-street and 'pay-and-display' on-street parking.
Badge holders may be exempt from time limits imposed on other users.
Badge holders may usually park on single or double yellow lines in Scotland and Ireland without any time limit. In England, there is a time limit of up to three hours.
Badge holders can park in greenways outwith times of operation.
Remember, the Blue Badge must be displayed at all times when parking.

WHERE NOT TO PARK

When there is a local traffic order in force, specifying a time limit for disabled parking badges - always check local signs before parking.

The Blue Badge is not a licence to park anywhere and conditions differ in different areas and countries. Always check roadside signs showing times of operation for loading bays etc. Restrictions will always be signed.

You must NOT park:

During the time a ban on loading or unloading is in force (normally indicated by one or two yellow marks on the kerb at the times shown on post mounted signs).

For example:

Loading prohibited
24 hours a day
7 days a week, for at least 4 consecutive months

Loading prohibited for any period of less than 24 hours. The arrow indicates the direction on the street where prohibition starts.

However, in pedestrian areas, waiting and loading restrictions may be in force even where there are no yellow lines shown on the road or kerb. Details of any restrictions in force will be shown on plates displayed at the kerb side of the road.

where there are double white lines in the centre of the road even if one of the lines is broken
in a dedicated bus or tram lane during its hours of operation
in a cycle lane
on any clearway, double or single red lines during their hours of operation
on all pedestrian crossings - including Zebra, Pelican, Toucan and Puffin crossings
on zig-zag markings before and after Zebra, Pelican, Toucan and Puffin crossings
in parking places reserved for specific users, e.g. permit holders only, loading bays during times of operation, taxis, cycles
on a resident's parking bay, unless there are signs showing that you may do so, or you have checked with the local authority's Roads Department that you may do so
in suspended meter bays or when use of the meter is prohibited
where temporary restrictions on parking are in force along a length of road, e.g. as indicated by no-waiting cones
on school "keep clear" markings during the hours shown on a yellow no-stopping plate.
You must also NOT park where it would be obstructive or cause a danger to others. The following are likely examples:

at school entrances, bus stops, on a bend, or near the brow of a hill or hump bridge.
where it would make it difficult for others to see clearly,
e.g. close to a junction.

where it would make the road narrow, e.g. by a traffic island or where roadwork is in progress.
where it would hold up traffic, e.g. in narrow stretches of road or blocking vehicle entrances.
where emergency vehicles stop or go in and out, e.g. hospital entrances.
where the kerb has been lowered or the road raised to form a pedestrian crossing.
on a pavement unless signs permit it.
in a loading bay unless disabled concession, or a specified time, is displayed on the roadside sign.
Remember

If you park where it would cause an obstruction or danger to other road users your vehicle could be removed by the police. You could also be prosecuted and your Badge withdrawn.
The vehicle must be moved if a police officer or a traffic warden in uniform requests it.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications ... 03111546/3
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

pingu wrote:
WHERE TO PARK

WHERE NOT TO PARK

When there is a local traffic order in force, specifying a time limit for disabled parking badges - always check local signs before parking.

The Blue Badge is not a licence to park anywhere and conditions differ in different areas and countries. Always check roadside signs showing times of operation for loading bays etc. Restrictions will always be signed.

That's the problem (I think) Restrictions aren't always signed.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 am

old jock wrote:I'm probably going to get loads of stick for this, but does the blue badge give you the right to park on double yellows?

Where I live I'm next to said parking restrictions and I notice loads of "disabled" parking permit holders park on them and don't seem to get tickets.

A couple of things I think are questionable at best

The double yellows are there to allow adequate access for traffic swinging into the road, so how come disabled vehicles can park there, surely its for safety or its not?

The other thing is the number of abuses I see of disabled holders beggars belief, very few IMHO seem that disabled, by that I mean many with no obvious mobility issues and some with what appears to be maybe a stick, they also seem to be perfectly able to carry their shopping back the car too. Some badge holders park their vehicles there for up to a week at a time or longer. Given everybody else who has a car has to pay for a permit (if they can get one). I reckon its a bit unfair, not against the idea but the system seems grossly abused.

By the way I don't have a car so its not sour grapes on my part its just the conclusion I've come to from observation and NO I can't back it up with statistics, articles or sources before the evidence police put in an appearance.

John

Not every disability is a visible one remember. Poor vision, deafness etc....
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:45 am

MotoMad,

Your point is well made but ..... do you really think someone with poor vision should even be driving ?

Tombro 8O 8O
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:51 am

According to the bumf

Who may automatically qualify for a Blue Badge?
According to legislation anyone over two years old automatically qualifies for a Blue Badge if they:

are registered blind; or

I imagine that's so friends etc can assist a blind person get about more easily.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

tombro wrote:MotoMad,

Your point is well made but ..... do you really think someone with poor vision should even be driving ?

Tombro 8O 8O

No, but they can be driven remember! :wink:

When I was undergoing my treatments for cancer a few years ago, someone asked me if I had a blue badge and was astounded when I said I didn't. Seems their brother had applied for one and received it when he 'd had testicular cancer - 5 years previously, and he still had it! Frankly, that sort of abuse of the system boils my pish! :evil:

I can only assume the criteria in some areas aren't as strictly applied as perhaps they should be; in my late mother's case (in East Dunbartonshire), there were all sorts of forms to be completed by her GP and, IIRC, a face-to-face interview too.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:29 am

Boxer6 wrote: .......... Frankly, that sort of abuse of the system boils my pish! :evil:

It may just be coincidence but, from observation, it seems the highest concentration of Blue Badge users is in the vicinity of the City Chambers.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:03 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Boxer6 wrote: .......... Frankly, that sort of abuse of the system boils my pish! :evil:

It may just be coincidence but, from observation, it seems the highest concentration of Blue Badge users is in the vicinity of the City Chambers.

Given some of that august body's recent decisions, they may well be properly entitled to them TEM!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:55 pm

MotoMad wrote:Not every disability is a visible one remember. Poor vision, deafness etc....

There were that many letters about so called Blue Badge abuse pouring into the local Bearsden rag I wrote one suggesting holders should hirple a bit when the came out of cars, wave a white stick, wear large ray bans and maybe fall a couple of times on the way back.

For some reason they didn't print it.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:53 pm

The one that grinds my gears is the people I know who have a blue badge belonging to a relative, who use it when they're nipping into town on their own. It's hard enough to get a parking space in town without cheating bastards milking the system.

I've never understood the double yellows thing either. I used to live in a wee town in North Wales which had very narrow medieval streets and a one way system. Some muppet on his holidays from Cheshire parked on double yellows RIGHT OUTSIDE THE POLICE STATION and wandered off. Within 5 minutes, a bus arrived and couldn't get past. Within another 5 minutes, the entire town was completely gridlocked, with me and a few other locals trying to direct traffic up one other side street (the only way round the block) until the police managed to bump the car onto the pavement. And when the chap saunters back, he had the audacity to threaten the police with legal action for damaging his car! Because according to him, his dodgy hip gave him the right to park on double yellows regardless of the fact he'd just brought an entire town's traffic to a standstill.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)