Hope House (Homeless Shelter) on Clyde Street Closed?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hope House (Homeless Shelter) on Clyde Street Closed?

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Just noticed that this mad place has closed down. Boards all over the windows of the first couple of floors.

Why was it closed? Did somebody go bust? Just that they've been trying to close it down for years, then suddenly it closes all of a sudden.

Halle-freakin-luya! Or something.

Cheers!
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Hope House (Homeless Shelter) on Clyde Street Closed?

Postby groovyclown » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:43 am

This was a planned/phased closure with the number of residents decreasing over the last couple of years.

As a former resident of Clyde Street it will hopefully make a vast improvement to the type of people that you find using the river walkway - currently being upgraded.

The things I have witnessed there over the years - open drug use and sex in daylight hours. I'm sure you get the picture.
groovyclown
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:47 am

You get the feeling the owners just didn't care at the end. Every time I walked, or cycled past, on a Sunday morning (last couple of months) you were liable to see a couple of idiots lying sparko outside it conked-out.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am

I believe the Salvation Army are using the savings in running costs + (possibly) the sale of the site to fund a shiny new citadel on Houldsworth Street.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Surely worth two bob to the housing developers out there. :?
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby groovyclown » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am

bAzTNM wrote:You get the feeling the owners just didn't care at the end. Every time I walked, or cycled past, on a Sunday morning (last couple of months) you were liable to see a couple of idiots lying sparko outside it conked-out.

The last couple of months!

There have been idiots hanging around there for at least ten years - they used to shoot up next to the river at the corner of the Victoria bridge in the former 'Carrick' car park, until Carrick Quay residents including myself got the little hut that used to be there removed. They then moved to under the 'City Union Bridge' opposite the shelter. If you look the council put a load of boulders there to make access more difficult to stop them and fenced off the area under the bridge since then there has always been a mottly assortment of characters hanging around on either side of the road in front of the place.
Glad it's closed but I guess the problem has just been moved somewhere else.
groovyclown
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm

brickwall wrote:Surely worth two bob to the housing developers out there. :?

The reason I said 'possibly' is because I'm not sure the site actually belongs to the Salvation Army. There was talk it had been 'lent' by Glasgow City Council for as long as it was needed as a hostel.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm

groovyclown wrote: ..................
Glad it's closed but I guess the problem has just been moved somewhere else.

The trend seems to be for Glasgow City Council to apply a condition to financial support for social housing that a certain %age, depending on the funding, of the housing development be earmarked for homeless folks - either direct from GCC list or via the likes of the Simon Community or the Salvation Army etc.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 am

It would be a perfect bunch of flats for someone. You'll have to fumigate the place about 200 times to get the "junkie" away from it though.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm

bAzTNM wrote:It would be a perfect bunch of flats for someone. You'll have to fumigate the place about 200 times to get the "junkie" away from it though.

productive contribution.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun May 12, 2013 6:38 pm

bAzTNM wrote:It would be a perfect bunch of flats for someone. You'll have to fumigate the place about 200 times to get the "junkie" away from it though.

It didn't seem to take two hundred fumigation sweeps to renovate the Great Eastern or any other place that I can think of.

I detest the casual use of NIMBY as a petulant insult to for example insult the residents near the Childrens Home in Hollowglen Road in Springboig where, in fact, each concern raised prior to its opening proved to be justified. Such concerns were made with respect to the work done within the facility and included examples of trouble from such a home being placed in the middle of a residential area in another area of - surprise surprise - the east end of out city.

Your sweeping generalisation; apart from being incorrect to the group you intend to insult, shits on residential groups when they make relevant complaints as it gives the sneering, preening and above all perpetually self-serving "what you all have to understand" political, social or professional commentators an example to tarnish their concerns with.

I don't like to have a pop at anyone but your comment isn't necessary.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hamsco » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 pm

There is an application in at present with the City Council to redevelop Hope House as Student Accommodation. Passing by today, the FOR SALE sign has been removed and there were guys in working on the modern built bits of it.
hamsco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 am

InkMan wrote:

It didn't seem to take two hundred fumigation sweeps to renovate the Great Eastern or any other place that I can think of.

Shuggy

The Great Eastern just used the frontage. The rest of it was falling down so was demolished.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hamsco » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:04 am

It is being developed into private student accommodation and renamed Clyde House. 90 student 'pods'. Opening September 2014. Looks like the same idea as the development on St. Andrews street of the old district court building. Glad to see a nice old building being used.
hamsco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)