Ruchill - A first timers guide

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Ruchill - A first timers guide

Postby Rab_McHuggett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some ideas of what it is like in the Ruchill area of Glasgow, in particular the areas around Ruchill and Possil Park.

I have lived in Glasgow for over four years and have lived in Partick (twice), Denistoun and Scotstoun but now I am looking to buy a flat to settle a bit more permanently. I have seen a few places I like in Ruchill and would like to know a bit more about the area. I have been around Maryhill a few times but other than that I have not had any reasons to go to that part of town so don't know much about it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rab_McHuggett
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Ruchill - A first timers guide

Postby pingu » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Ruchill used to have a lot of social problems years ago but i think given that most of it has been flattened and new private houses built its turned out not a bad area at all.

as for possilpark it all depends what bit your thinking of...some are better than others shall we say
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

pingu wrote:...................

as for possilpark it all depends what bit your thinking of...some are better than others shall we say

Just before my mother, who was born in Denmark St, died, I took her for a wee tour of Possil. She wasn't prone to sweary-words but she commented 'it was a shitehole in the 20s and it's 10 times worse now'.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

Just before my mother, who was born in Denmark St, died, I took her for a wee tour of Possil. She wasn't prone to sweary-words but she commented 'it was a shitehole in the 20s and it's 10 times worse now'.

My mother lived in 292 Denmark St when she was a girl.
She has fond memories, as I do, of the people but not the place.

Wouldn't recommend Possil either. I've been away too long to know what Ruchill is like now.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

I work in Denmark Street, and I agree 100% with your mum! I'd be inclined to use stronger sweary words than "shitehole" mind you.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I didn't know Denmark St was still there.

Done a google search, big apologies for being off topic, the ancestors lived in Mansion St as well - anyone know how it got it's name?
Can't see a mansion there myself 8O ...ever!
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

My Mother was born in number 79.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

Sounds like something my late mother would say too....she was a govanite
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Bridie wrote:I didn't know Denmark St was still there.

Done a google search, big apologies for being off topic, the ancestors lived in Mansion St as well - anyone know how it got it's name?

Yep, still is Bridie. Much changed in recent years I'm sure!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Not familiar with the area at all but have definitely read of a mansion house there in dipping in and out of local history books. Like so many other areas on the periphery of the city centre, Possil was a country estate before being sold off and feued out fornhousing. Might be mentioned in Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry - think Strathclyde Uni have digitised that book.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 pm

The site of the mansion house (Possil House) was slap bang in the middle of where the large industrial estate at Lomond Street / Denmark Street is now. The lodge at the entrance to its grounds was located on the north side of what is now Saracen Cross.

The mansion house grounds straddled the SE and SW corners of the these two plans.
1865 OS map - Lanark Sheet VI.2 1865 OS map - Lanark Sheet VI.3
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)