Postby ibtg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I agree with Old Jock.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Tenements with Lifts

Postby busdriver » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:16 pm

I recall there used to be a lift built into a corner red sandstone tenement in Dalmarnock in the late 80’s the residents comprising mostly elderly or disabled people. When making a delivery one time, I got stuck in it between the second and third floor and had to wait ages for the engineer who got lost because he didn’t believe at first that there was a tenement in Dalmarnock with a lift, if memory serves it was on the corner of Ardenlea Street and Summerfield Street. So these are not unheard of although I don’t personally know of other examples in Glasgow.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Since they're recently build but in an older style façade, I don't know if you'd regard them as 'traditional style' tenements, but the flats in St Andrew's Square (and other new build flats in the Saltmarket area) have lifts. The newer flats on Tollcross Road at the top of Helenvale Street also have a lift. New flats which have more than four floors seem to have lifts, but I'm not sure that's a rule.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: lift on/ in traditional tenements

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 pm

bAzTNM wrote:A bit pointless really? Most tenements only have three floors. Most of them will be getting pulled down eventually anyway. Waste of money.

Eh, naw. You could say that every building will "eventually" get pulled down. However, my tenement (four floors, no lift, like the rest of the West end) has been here for over 100 years and is still in excellent condition. I don't see them rushing to flatten them at any point in my lifetime.

I agree with you about the waste of money retro-fitting lifts, however. The only way I can think of doing it, certainly in my close, would be an external lift shaft on the back of the building. But even then, you'd likely lose access to the back green in order to do that.

I'd love an upstairs downstairs tenement. When a house in our building went on the market recently, I did a wee bit of research to see if it could be done. We figured a spiral staircase fitted in the hallway would be the way to go, converting the downstairs loo to a utility room, and the kitchen upstairs into a third bedroom. You could potentially turn two one bedroom tenement houses into a three bedroom, two reception room family home. Which would suit me and the mister down to the ground!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the input.

I appreciate it might never be cost-effective but it isn't just about money - there's a strong quality of life aspect to this.

I'm not convinced it can be done. The only practical way looks to be on the pavement (which is quite narrow) and only have it serve my flat, bringing access in through an external wall. There's a cupboard which would lend itself nicely to being an entrance.

I doubt I'd ever get consent to take up a big chunk of the pavement.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I remember a huge top floor flat in Clouston Street (either No 14 or 30?) which had a secret cupboard which took you up to a couple of rooms in the attic. Also up there was a door which led to a balcony/ roof garden. I wasn't tripping.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: lift on/ in traditional tenements

Postby Bridie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:... The only way I can think of doing it, certainly in my close, would be an external lift shaft on the back of the building.

make it a glass "scenic" one as well :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Bridie wrote:I remember a huge top floor flat in Clouston Street (either No 14 or 30?) which had a secret cupboard which took you up to a couple of rooms in the attic. Also up there was a door which led to a balcony/ roof garden. I wasn't tripping.

I believe the Transcendental Meditation folk had a flat in Clouston St with a 'hidden attic' but I couldn't tell you which number.

Just an aside. I visited a flat in Broomlands St in Paisley where the top floor flat had sole access to their own attic and the attic above the flat across the landing. It had allegedly been built for his own use by the builder who'd built that close and the two closes next door and was properly floored and beautifully finished. It featured a wardrobe fitted against the furthest away wall. It had clearly been built to fit the space, is probably still there and probably will be till the building is demolished.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Not Glasgow, but a few years back quite a few old tenement buildings in Edinburgh had their outside lavvy`s removed to facilitate a lift system. Peraonally I have never seen any lifts in an original Glasgow tenement.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm

It's a pity that some elderly people who happen to live two up or on the top have had to give up their homes. Mind you my granny was climbing three stories well into her seventies so maybe it keeps you fit. :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Bridie wrote:It's a pity that some elderly people who happen to live two up or on the top have had to give up their homes. Mind you my granny was climbing three stories well into her seventies so maybe it keeps you fit. :D

Less of the 'elderly' if you don't mind :wink:

Seriously, I take your point about the exercise. My cardiologist agrees and most of the time it's OK but when something like a lung infection strikes, it can be just too much.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 am

Sorry Eggman, I didn't realise from your original post that this was something that you were looking for advice on doing.

Right, if you're in an old-style tenement (I'm talking sandstone built here, or variants thereof), the trouble with going through the external wall is weakening the front of the building. You'd have to factor in the cost of putting in an RSJ as a lintel, plus the additional building costs of holding up the wall whilst it was fitted. Unless you've got a window you could go through (remove frame, put balcony out front, ramp from window sill down to floor level inside), I think you'd struggle to make it cost effective, let alone persuade the other residents to give their permission.

What floor are you on? Is a stairlift an option? If it's not something you need on a daily basis, I know that most of the major fitters of stairlifts can provide custom lifts.

HOWEVER

I live in a close which sees a lot of traffic, as we have a visitor attraction across the way from us. The owners (*cough* NTS *cough*) haven't fitted a lift, either on the outside stairs, or the inside. That makes me think that is just isn't cost effective. If a major visitor attraction isn't accessible to the disabled, then there must be a very good reason.

And the good reason ISN'T that I'd be whirin' up and doon the stairs in the stairlift when I was pissed ::):
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:Sorry Eggman, I didn't realise from your original post that this was something that you were looking for advice on doing.

Right, if you're in an old-style tenement (I'm talking sandstone built here, or variants thereof), the trouble with going through the external wall is weakening the front of the building. You'd have to factor in the cost of putting in an RSJ as a lintel, plus the additional building costs of holding up the wall whilst it was fitted. Unless you've got a window you could go through (remove frame, put balcony out front, ramp from window sill down to floor level inside), I think you'd struggle to make it cost effective, let alone persuade the other residents to give their permission.

What floor are you on? Is a stairlift an option? If it's not something you need on a daily basis, I know that most of the major fitters of stairlifts can provide custom lifts.

HOWEVER

I live in a close which sees a lot of traffic, as we have a visitor attraction across the way from us. The owners (*cough* NTS *cough*) haven't fitted a lift, either on the outside stairs, or the inside. That makes me think that is just isn't cost effective. If a major visitor attraction isn't accessible to the disabled, then there must be a very good reason.

And the good reason ISN'T that I'd be whirin' up and doon the stairs in the stairlift when I was pissed ::):

No harm done. There's two threads been amalgamated and some info has gone astray.

My tenement was built c 1896 but is in pretty good order. I'm on the top floor.

I confess I hadn't considered entry via a window - I have 5 of those which'd suit.

It's never going to to be cost-effective in the short run but I'd be happy to live with the cost if it gives me a few more years here.

Getting permission will be an issue. I'd originally looked at how it might be possible for the lift to service the other residents but I can't see a way of making that work. One bonus is that 6 out of 8 of the 'owners' are the local Housing Association so, if I can get them onside, I might be well on the way to success.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:05 am

The Egg Man wrote:
Bridie wrote:It's a pity that some elderly people who happen to live two up or on the top have had to give up their homes. Mind you my granny was climbing three stories well into her seventies so maybe it keeps you fit. :D

Less of the 'elderly' if you don't mind :wink:

Seriously, I take your point about the exercise. My cardiologist agrees and most of the time it's OK but when something like a lung infection strikes, it can be just too much.

I wasn't talking about you :D :wink:
The exercise might be good if you've been used to climbing the stairs for years however it takes a bit of getting used to if you've just moved and lugging up messages is a nightmare! I lived on the top floor a few years ago and I was able to climb however carrying shopping was a nightmare. I dreamt of some sort of hoist outside the building that you could attach the shopping too!
Maybe that's the answer for tenements in general - instead of the expense of a covered lift what about some kind of hoist..ski lift.. kind of thing? ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Re the 'entry via a window' idea. Looking at the building in the cold light of day, it occurs to me that a lift coming to any of my windows would inevitably block the windows of the folks downstairs.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)