George Square - removal of statues - objections

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: George Square - removal of statues - objections

Postby ibtg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

When I first went to London, I was underwhelmed by Trafalgar Square. Grey, drab and unwelcoming, unlike our George Square, which (at the time) had lots of greenery, benches and no water features to get littered and murky.

When the red tarmac went down in George Square and the trees started to disappear, I could tell we were on a 'slippery slope', so to speak. :(

Let us hope common sense prevails and the protests of the Glasgow residents are considered. I hear there will be a protest march or suchlike on 2nd February - anyone got any more information?

Unfortunately the decision will have been taken by then on one of the 6, to my mind, unsuitable designs.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby 8cats » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm

The demo is in George Square on 2nd Feb at 12 noon.

http://www.restoregeorgesquare.com/
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby 8cats » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am

8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hound dog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 am

And it seems there are questions over whether any of them will be accepted :D

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/council-expected-to-ditch-designs-for-george-square.19949135
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Seems the jury disagreed with Councillor Matheson. However I wonder if Councillor Matheson can continue in post following his "secret" affair. A few twists and turns still to come?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Looks like they have finally listened to the people ...... result :D
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Well, that's that one put to bed. Still planning to spend 20 million though. 8O
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Well, that's that one put to bed. Still planning to spend 20 million though. 8O

I'm sure Glasgow Council Tax payers will express their opinion on the cost in the fullness of time.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Well, that's that one put to bed. Still planning to spend 20 million though. 8O

I'm sure Glasgow Council Tax payers will express their opinion on the cost in the fullness of time.

I couldn't disagree more Egg Man. The generational loyalty to who their long died Granda's claimed to have voted for isn't going to dissipate anytime soon and that's without taking into consideration the alternative options.

Mark my words this will rear it's ugly head again. As I said before the powers have be have cast their beady eyes over the removal of the Cenotaph a number of times over my lifetime and I'm afraid it will happen again.

Ten years from now I can see this process being repeated with a short notice public consultation in by then named Tesco sponsored Mitchell Library. Discussions shall be dictated of a three story art installation celebrating Kilty Cauldbum displaying how the jelly falling from the wee wimmin in the second floors cup allows Glasgow's citizens' to wash the sackcloth ashes from the interactive atonement section of the square which would provide a natural, organic, non denominational and holistic breathing space next to a water feature showing the wee, fat and wide bride taking a heider into the fucking Clyde.

Here's an idea. From the Scottish Parliament to the new transport museum and now the, at best postponed, plans to renovate the centre of my city. What about something which casts a true reflection of the cities and countries history?

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 pm

I suppose even non-Glasgow Council Taxpayers will express an opinion too.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Herald

PLANS for a radical redesign of one of Scotland's best known civic squares have been scrapped at a cost in excess of £100,000, heaping embarrassment and pressure on the council's leadership.

The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, headed by jury member Neil Baxter, has been paid £19,500 for its role in the debacle, £14,000 goes to pollsters MORI, the five "unsuccessful" firms on the shortlist get £5000 each, the "winner" receives £10,000 and the chairman of the jury, David Mackay, a partner at MBM Architects Barcelona, also gets £5000.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I suppose even non-Glasgow Council Taxpayers will express an opinion too.

That is a fair point Egg Man although I feel that I am entitled to that opinion having lived in Glasgow for all my life up until the end of 2010.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 am

good editorial piece in the Architects Journal today about the Square competition and the general history of competitions and Glasgow public/shopping space.

It is a subscription piece, but free to register (just a faff for 1 article) can a mod advise if its ok to copy paste it in here or not?

Cheers
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am

InkMan wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I suppose even non-Glasgow Council Taxpayers will express an opinion too.

That is a fair point Egg Man although I feel that I am entitled to that opinion having lived in Glasgow for all my life up until the end of 2010.

I'm sure you do feel that way.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:good editorial piece in the Architects Journal today about the Square competition and the general history of competitions and Glasgow public/shopping space.

It is a subscription piece, but free to register (just a faff for 1 article) can a mod advise if its ok to copy paste it in here or not?

Cheers

Mm, probably best not to, unfortunately. If they're very set on registration they may well get in a strop. You could give us a quick summary :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)