Going for (cheap) lunch in the old Daily Record building

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Going for (cheap) lunch in the old Daily Record building

Postby Alanangles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 am

In the late 80s I worked in Cheapside St and used to frequent 'The Record' canteen of an afternoon for lunch. The menu and prices were brilliant and would go along the lines of - homemade soup 25p, steak & chips £1.10, and maybe apple pie and cream 30p.
It was supposed to be staff only but there was never a problem just jumping in the lift and heading on up. I don't think you'd get away with that nowadays sadly.
Anyone else have these memories or similar? Thanks in advance....
Alanangles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Going for (cheap) lunch in the old Daily Record building

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 pm

I used to work in the place in the early nineties and can vouch for the cheapness of the canteen. The only problem with the lift was that you sometimes had to share it with Joan Burney ( she was always really nice though ).
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alanangles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Cheers for that Tom.
Alanangles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:The only problem with the lift was that you sometimes had to share it with Joan Burney

Oooohhh! Meow!

Our workplace canteen went in the mid-nineties. It went as an 'unnecessary expense', not, I suspect, because it was unprofitable per se but because it occupied space which cost more than the profit.

I'd be interested to know if there are still any works canteens left.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:00 am

In Glasgow they have pulled every hospital canteen and replaced them with Cafe style outlets only open 8:00 to 16:00 so back shift and night shift staff have the delights of vending machines, which of course are contracted out (the vending machines that is not the cafes).
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby blantyreiain » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:49 pm

remember in the early 70's going to the sugar factory canteen in Greenock and also Ravenscraig canteen in Motherwell, both as cheap as chips and brilliant food.

Iain
blantyreiain
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Guacho » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm

RDR wrote:In Glasgow they have pulled every hospital canteen and replaced them with Cafe style outlets only open 8:00 to 16:00 so back shift and night shift staff have the delights of vending machines, which of course are contracted out (the vending machines that is not the cafes).

Hospital canteens are still open in the Southern, Victoria, Western, Yorkhill and RAH, albeit with much reduced opening hours. All the food is cooked in Inverclyde though :roll:
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 am

Used to be a works canteen in Durmoyne somewhere (mid 70s), Lilley i think they were called, used to go there instead of the chippy or the School diners. Solid wood benches and tables they had, chips and peas were 5 or 7p i think, ice cream and fruit 10p, custurd and cake 5p, small cartons of milk 2p. cant remember any other prices... many of us went there at lunchtime for most of secondry school days at Govan High.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pollyh3 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Guacho wrote:
RDR wrote:In Glasgow they have pulled every hospital canteen and replaced them with Cafe style outlets only open 8:00 to 16:00 so back shift and night shift staff have the delights of vending machines, which of course are contracted out (the vending machines that is not the cafes).

Hospital canteens are still open in the Southern, Victoria, Western, Yorkhill and RAH, albeit with much reduced opening hours. All the food is cooked in Inverclyde though :roll:

I work in the RAH and the food is awful and expensive . I was in the Green Welly last week and the prices were cheaper than a NHS canteen!!! Oh and edible too!!!
pollyh3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby mjw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am

I worked temporarily in 1989 for the dhss at Centenary House on Morrison St and we could go to the canteen in the coop building across the road, it was either that or buy crisps from that funny smelling post office. Honestly can't remember how much it was but i used to get pie and chips, good times.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am

There were always good (cheap) works canteens until about 200.

My faves were Philips TMC at Airdrie and, more recently, the Golden Jubilee Hospital in Clydebank.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 am

There was a work canteen in Pitt St police station when I worked there a few years ago. There's also one in the Thales factory in Linthouse (Barr and Stroud to you oldies!).
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 pm

I used to go the the canteen in the sports' drome at Faslane and they sold HUGE fish suppers for 2/6. There were also vending machines selling hot steak pies: big top-quality ones with gravy. We could get the bus there, swim in the pool, have a massive meal, get the bus home and still have change from 3/6. I daresay though that their prices may have gone up since 1968; plus you now get shot for walking through the gate with a typewritten pass.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Only places i ever worked with canteens were Motorola (bathgate) and Jabil Circuits (livvi), jabil was good, and they did a pig roast every summer, other than that its been a microwave ding or pieces, altho they have put a vending machine into queen st that does a sandwich, soup and juice for £3,50 or a small ready meal for £3
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)