In desperate need of some advice on location.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

In desperate need of some advice on location.

Postby latinoman231982 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 am

First off want to take this opportunity to say hi and introduce myself to the forums. My name is Roberto and I have been living in Glasgow just under a year having moved with my family up from London. I was born in Glasgow but grew up in London most of my life, but moving up here has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

On that note I am in need of some advice as I am will not familiar with some areas. Currently living in Patrick thornwood but due to landlord wanting to sell the property I found myself looking for another place. Cut a long story we found a place Near anniesland cross, a cul de sac in sutcliff court. As I was in desperate need of needing a property quick and having gone visited area twice to make sure it was OK I have put in my holding deposit. The problem I have now is I am getting the last minute jitters as a family friend told me its technically in a place called temple and it can be quite dodgy. I personally thought it seemed OK although now I am wondering if I have made a mistake placing a deposit.

An anyone give me any insight into the area sutcliff court off Sutcliffe road? I would very much appreciate it, I guess I am looking for any reasurrance that I haven't picked a really dodgy area to move my family. :-( I assume as it was on the outskirts of "temple" it was fine and was under impression it was a quiet little area.

Anyway hope to hear back from anyone with any opinions and hopefully make some new friends on this forum :-)

This is the place: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 92,,0,5.99
latinoman231982
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: In desperate need of some advice on location.

Postby Socceroo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 am

I think that bit of the area is fine now. Up towards Tambowie Street and Netherton Road used to be a bit run down rather than rough, but that area is getting redeveloped also.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 am

Hi Roberto and welcome to Hidden Glasgow.

I have (briefly) worked in the Temple area over the years. For what its worth, my impression is that there was a pocket of fairly deprived housing at Tambowie Street and Boclair Street (there might have been other streets in the past).

Glasgow Housing Association are currently demolishing tenemental properties in the area. I wonder if any HG members who actually live in the area can give you advice?

(Edit posted without seeing the previous reply)
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Whats so bad about Temple?

Postby latinoman231982 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Hey guys

I have already posted a thread and 2 members were kind enough to provide me some insight into the area which I plan to move to in the coming weeks. A friend at worked asked me where I am moving to and told me Never ever move to temple an island :). Knowing that I am moving to sutcliffee court at the end of Sutcliffe road ( is this even in temple?)I am seriously considering losing my deposit as the last thing I want to is be worrying about my wife and 2 kids whilst at work.

Out of desperation I have posted this new thread for any reassurance about the particular area I am moving too (Sutcliffe court, off Sutcliffe road) my ocd is driving me mad on the matter and quite frankly the fear mongering I have got off many folk iS really making a move that is supposed to be pleasant into a worrying nightmare :).

Any insight guys, please, I am desperate here :-(

[Admin : merged with existing topic, because anyone liable to reply to one will reply to the other. ]
latinoman231982
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby latinoman231982 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for the response guys much appreciated.truly. any more insight off other members would be awesome as I spoke to someone about my intended Move and they advised me to reconsider :) can sutclifee court even be classifies as being in temple? Now I really am bricking it...:-( even posted another thread in hope some more locals can post thee opinion.
latinoman231982
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby hillbilly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:37 pm

hi I spent over two yrs delivering groceries in the area. Although not that street is not so new there are loads of new build in the surrounding area. It has definately gone upmarket in recent years. Actually quite a handy area for access to Westend and all points west.
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Come the Spring of 2013 my flat will be up for rental (now that my plug is over with)...

It really is quite subjective about the area you've decided to lay down temporary roots. We could tell you horror stories but most of them will be based on ours or more importantly others' perceptions. If it is of any help to you, I am 'in and out' of Temple and other surrounding areas, that have 'bad' names and in my view (again subjective and my perception) you'll have no problems settling in. It's a good place to commute to and from, it's nearby local amenities and the area has come up in standard over the years. What's more if it's any consolation to you, I've worked all over Glasgow and surrounds and the outer lying villages and towns and never had an issue with the folk in Temple, I've always found them to be the salt of the earth.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:54 pm

My first ever flat was in the East End. A few months after I moved in, the Evening Times began a series of articles that would have had you believe that there were drug dealers and prostitutes at the opening to every close, let alone every corner. Relatives were phoning me every week to make sure that I was OK.

It was a great place to live. Loads of public transport, handy shops, friendly neighbours, never even the slightest hint of trouble other than the occasional football-related 'folk song' after the pubs closed on a Friday or Saturday night.

You can live in fear anywhere.

As for ' the last thing I want to is be worrying about my wife and 2 kids whilst at work' - get a sense of context, man. Have you been to the place? Did it look ok? Then it's probably ok. If in doubt, knock on the door next to yours and ask.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Well said!

I remember being in some of the posh areas and had more trouble in those areas than anywhere else. As a Glasgow Polis used to say to me, "Hauf the time it's the posh areas that the gangsters live in whilst they plied their trade in the poorer parts."

I'll also add, I never received a 'bung' in a posh area but always in Langholm Street (Yoker), Drumchapel and Temple were dead certs, they looked after their own...
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Ach, I'm sure your address will be "Anniesland", not "Temple". There are many less attractive postcodes in the G area.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby latinoman231982 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Many thanks guys for all the responses! Your right about taking it into context josep, just haven't lived up here for long so had no way of judging what was deemed as bad and good, especially when I only hear negative views, but you are right. I did visit the area a few times and seemed all fine to me which made my suspicions worse as family members were saying the opposite :). Thank you all so much for your views, I very much appreciate it :-)..

P.s. delmont, what do you have for rental? I have a few family members from London looking for a place.
latinoman231982
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 am

When I first moved over to Norn Iron I was scared everytime I heard a loud noise 8O

I would live and have lived in what some people would have referred too as a less salubrious parts of the city as long as it was close to everything and had good transport ( quick escape) :wink: The locals are more friendly - in general and not up their own arses as in some salubrious parts - in general. :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 am

Bridie wrote:....The locals are more friendly - in general and not up their own arses as in some salubrious parts - in general. :)

:) :) :)
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)