Smoking in closes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Smoking in closes

Postby mrlipring » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:Bus shelter could be considered 'public space' but a communal close is not - it is a private dwelling.

Inside their own flat is private. Given that multiple people have to use the close, it should be defined as at least semi-public.

As for talking to them about it, fat chance. This was a lovely clean close before that lot moved in. Now there's fag packets in the garden, fag ash on the floor in the close and graffiti popping up regularly in the close.

Antisocial bastards. :(
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 am

Are they tenants? Might be worth mentioning it to landlord / housing association

If not can you get together with the latest residents & see what you can do jointly to tackle the problem
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Funnyily I have the same problem.

Can smell it in my kitchen and living room. Also they bloody slam doors shut constantly!!
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:49 pm

yoker brian wrote:Might be worth mentioning it to landlord / housing association

Yeah, I think it might come to that. :(
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm

I'd mention it. I smoke in the close sometimes, but then so does everyone else here. If there was ever a problem then I wouldn't. The smell doesn't linger (in my experience).

Ask them to open the windae and hang out. That should make a difference.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:I'd mention it. I smoke in the close sometimes, but then so does everyone else here. If there was ever a problem then I wouldn't. The smell doesn't linger (in my experience).

Ask them to open the windae and hang out. That should make a difference.

Not all closes have windows to the outside world. Quite a few, especially on corners like mine, are deemed 'dark' and don't benefit from borrowed light or have access to ventilation.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 8cats » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:17 am

I'd been wondering about this too. A couple of folk smoke in my close and my flat reeks of it just from the smoke coming in around the door. They leave fag butts and spit on the stairs for the cleaner to deal with every week too.

One of them was clearly smoking cannabis at 8am the other day. Think I may try to get them via their landlord on that one.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am

You've got a CLEANER?! Pure LUXURY mate!

I don't think a close usually gets classes as public, as it has a locked door. It's a communal area, yes, but it's not a public space of any kind.

I think leaving fag butts on the stairs or flicking ash around is out of order, personally. The golden rule in a close I though was to avoid inconveniencing other people. It's fair enough smoking near a door or window on a crappy night. But leaving your detritus behind for others to clean up is a no go. And if they're smoking illegal substances that's definitely something you could complain about. I suspect, though, that if these smokers were otherwise model neighbours, people would be less annoyed at their one foible.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Close is private property - look at Title Deeds

As to being considerate to your neighbours, well I smoke in the close at the rear exit and dispose of my butts properly. I've got a bigger problem that smoking in the close - I've got a neighbour who let's her dog crap in the garden and doesn't pick it up and upstairs neighbour who regularly spills cat litter and poo and never brushes it up. Now which is more anti-social? At least my smoke goes out the close and the butts in my bin.....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm

If you live in a flat above the smoker you could just skoosh them with a plant spray (water only) but that would be childish hehehe
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 8cats » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 am

SomeRandomBint wrote:You've got a CLEANER?! Pure LUXURY mate!

The cleaner is a luxury we decided we couldn't do without, after a delightful family moved in and started urinating on the stairs. Yep, people peeing, not dogs. The guy across the landing from me also lets his dogs pee the stairs, in addition to the problem of the people spitting and dropping fag butts.

Closes are great :roll:
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)