Scottish Zoo Cowcaddens

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Scottish Zoo Cowcaddens

Postby hound dog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm

From an old thread about demolished cinemas

gap74 wrote:Interesting question!

Without any further information, this could be one of two structures. It could either be:

1) E.H Bostock's Scottish Zoo and Hippodrome, opened in May 1897 and featuring a circus arena and cinema, or

2) Arthur Hubner's Hippodrome of the same year, housed in a conversion of a building which opened as a diorama in 1882, and was converted to ice-skating in 1885.

The former building soldiered on until 1918, with the cinema section having only been made permanent in 1911. This part of the building was known as the Zoo Electric Theatre, then the Joytown Grand Electric at various points in between! If only modern cinemas had such splendid names! The whole of Bostock's building still survives in the Cowcaddens area of the city, and currently hosts a Chinese supermarket and restaurant, a snooker club and an outdoorsy sport-type retailer. See:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... ooEPP.html

Is this correct that the building currently housing the Chinese supermarket etc is the same building that contained the Scottish Zoo from 1897, but with just a permanent cinema added from 1911?
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Scottish Zoo Cowcaddens

Postby SomeRandomBint » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

This is from memory, but I doubt it. The Chinatown complex is quite a new build, I think it must date from after they "redeveloped" (wry laughter) New City Road. It may have been built on the site of the old Zoo building. But there's very little remaining of the original Cowcaddens round there save for the old Savings Bank Building.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 pm

............ and the old Normal School.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 pm

The Egg Man wrote:............ and the old Normal School.

True dat. I'm never along that end of New City Road (live over the back in Garnethill)

One of these days, when I have a spare few hours to myself, I'm going to do a map overlay of the Cowcaddens/Garnethill area from Cambridge Street over to St George's Road. I think it's possibly one of the most mess about with parts of Glasgow I've been in. At least in Townhead they left some of the original streets at ground level for some idea of bearings. Cowcaddens is just... gone.
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 am

I take it this is classed as being in Garnethill

The Dispensary, West Graham Street
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the replies - I doubted it very much myself as it certainly doesn't look like a late Victorian/Edwardian building to me (not that I'm any expert :) ). I think it is more likely to have been built on the site of the old Zoo.

On the 1913 Valuation map for Cowcaddens on the Glasgow Story website it shows the Scottish Zoo adjacent to the Normal School.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:35 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I take it this is classed as being in Garnethill

The Dispensary, West Graham Street

It's right on the "border" I'd say. According to one of my older neighbours (and also apparently the lampposts around here) Garnethill boundaries are West Graham Street to the north (although it was probably New City Road before the bulldozers laid into it), Cambridge Street to the East, Sauchiehall Street to the south, and now the M8, although I suppose it would have been St George's Road in the old days.
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:29 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 pm

robertpool wrote:a couple of bits and pieces here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 896189717/

Thanks for that Robert :D
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:36 am

The building is indeed one and the same - it's just been modernised several times over the years, so is pretty unrecognisable. The brick frontage on the southern facade seems to date from its rebuild as an SMT garage around 1957.

It was a huge complex all under one roof - the cinema was only part of it.

From Bruce Peter's "100 Years of Glasgow's Amazing Cinemas":

"Among these early developments, the Zoo Electric Theatre, was unique. The showman E.H. Bostock ran a huge entertainment complex in New City Road which included an indoor zoo, a circus and a display of grotesques. Writing in 1937 [Bruce alters this to 1927 in a subsequent book], Bostock claimed to have been one of the first film exhibitors in Glasgow:

"I ran films as a sideshow from July 1897 onwards and, that winter, I showed them in the circus as part of my programme. At Christmas 1898, I presented a beautiful picture, Cinderella, hand coloured in Paris, and in August 1901, I exhibited the first fight film in the city, Fitzsimmons v Jeffries, which was a very big success."

But it was not until January 1911 that he fitted a permanent cinema into his complex. The Zoo Electric only operated until that September, when the whole place was closed for redevelopment, but it was back in business in December as the Joytown Grand Electric Theatre. Bostock claimed that his amusement centre was "the cheapest attraction in the civilised world" but, though the film shows were inexpensive, they were not enduring, and the cinema's short career ended in 1918"

The Theatres Trust Guide to British Theatres writes (appears to have been Bruce who wrote this entry too):

"A vast warehouse-like iron-framed structure with a partially glazed roof of industrial proportions and originally containing a zoo, roller skating rink and hippodrome under one roof. The remarkable enterprise, a fully enclosed entertainment centre, was the brainchild of the circus magnate and showman, E.H. Bostock. The exterior was originally clad in brick with stone dressings with twin towers and onion domes at the entrances. Today, it is entirely re-clad in corrugated metal and the once-ornate interior has long since been removed, so that only the frames remain."

In his most recent book, Scotland's Cinemas, Bruce notes that the architect was Bertie Crewe and some of the finance came from Thomas Barrasford - the pair would later respectively design and finance the Pavilion in Renfield Street.

Here's the entry for the building in the Dictionary of Scottish Architects:

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/bu ... ?id=216326

The original complex appears to have opened in May 1897.

If you look round the back of the building, facing the M8 flyover, you can see what appear to be large arches in the facade, which hint at some slightly more exotic use in the past.
Last edited by gap74 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 am

A wee now and then comparison between that 1913 map and the current Google aerial view:

Looks spot on to me!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Interesting! The footprint certainly looks the same. Shame there's bugger all left of it to see really. From what your link says, I think all that remains is the frame which you can't see.

Interestingly, that's where Sir Roger met his end.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-museums/kelvingrove/about-Kelvingrove/TheRestorationofKelvingroveArtGalleryandMuseum/SirRogertheAsianElephant/Pages/default.aspx

Wonder where on Sauchiehall Street the taxidermists were based - I'll bet they were lining the streets to that funeral procession!
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hound dog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks for that info and pic - as you say, it's virtually unrecognisable with all the changes that have been made to the original building.

I'd read in a couple of places that Sir Roger had come from there - read in one place that Bostock charged an admission fee to watch the "execution", but not sure if that's true or not. Suppose it could be, as he was a businessman and health and safety concerns were not an issue back then ::):
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hound dog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Found a photo on the Royal Commissions site - not sure if I'm allowed to post the image here (copyright etc) so I'll just post a shortened link - hope this works :?

http://bit.ly/T1MRiF
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)