abandoned petrol station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

abandoned petrol station

Postby jedi » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Seen This Old Petrol Station This Morning And Thought i would get a wee pic before they rip it down ......
Quick Take A Picture....

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/crazyjedione
jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DVF » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:29 pm

That's something I've noticed recently, the amount pf petrol stations that have closed recently. They're dropping like flies. What's going on?
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:52 pm

They can't compete with the super markets. Theres no profit in petrol these days you see (a friend of mine, until recently, ran a petrol station in Pollokshaws), so the 24-hour mini markt stations are the only ones making money.

It's another sad case of terminal decline and somewhat analogous of our own state of affairs, in regards to our reliance on fossil fuels.

Has it reached $50 a barrel yet does anyone know?

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:54 pm

Easy.

No margin, no profit, world oil prices, Iraqi insurgence.... oops, nearly forgot UK crippling fuel tax revenue in the name of environmental protection.

Seriously, without going into details of the petrol supply deal, the station owner is basically forced to make their money from the subsidiary deals from the shops and lines attached to the station (which they're also not free to do as they like) so if they can't make that make money, they have to sell expensive fuel, and that only works if they're not too near a station that can sell cheap fuel.

We just lost one near Shettleston, sandwiched between Baillieston Safeway and Parkead Asda, the new Tesco must've put the final nail in its coffin, but I never went in as they always had some of the most expensive fuel anyway, I was surprised they never went years ago.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:39 pm

30 years* from now our grandchildren will be asking if there were motor cars when we were young :? :!: as you give them a backie on your Penny-Farthing into town ::):

*might happen nextweek though minus the grandkids :!:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby reginekierkegaard » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:05 pm

Well, Brent Crude Oil now trade at 49.54 dollars/barrel in New York and 45.55 dollars/barrel in London....but surprisingly, local BP still sell their petrol at 79.9p/litre..........
High oil demands worldwide, reduced oil reserve, tension in the middle east, Iraq and speculators have all contributed to this......
reginekierkegaard
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby johnnyanglia » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:45 pm

Does anyone know of any really old petrol stations in Glasgow or surrounding areas. I found some negatives in the Mitchell Library of the what is now the Gulf garage at Manse Brae(A pretty cool building on a triangular site from the 1960's). One of the Mitchell's negatives is now posted on the Virtual Mitchell site and dates from 1929 !.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:53 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
Has it reached $50 a barrel yet does anyone know?

Crusty

Crusty are you related to JR Ewing ::):

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:59 pm

No, but Angela Channing used to stay up the next close fae me :wink: ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:05 pm

johnnyanglia wrote:Does anyone know of any really old petrol stations in Glasgow or surrounding areas.

Found this petroleum spirit pump in Cambuslang several months ago.
It dates back to around 1920 IIRC perhaps earlier!.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:13 pm

Also from the same location as Mr93's spirit pump

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:38 am

No chance of a photo sadly, and it was well (very well) over 10 years ago, but when I was working up near Fraserburgh I knocked at the front door of a large house (looking for directions) that had a petrol station sign nearby. I didn't connect the two, but was amazed to to see an old manual petrol pump that appeared to have been installed and functional just behind the door.

I have no idea precisely where it was now though, but the surprise of seeing it made it a permanent memory.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:53 am

While we're on the subject, does anyone remember the petrol pumps that used to be located in the car park to the Jolly Giant on Crow Road next to Jordanhill Station? I always wondered why they were there; anyone know if a station stood there at one point? AFAIK, they were diesel pumps.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:17 am

DVF wrote:That's something I've noticed recently, the amount pf petrol stations that have closed recently. They're dropping like flies. What's going on?

I know! Recent desperate search for a station which still exists on about a thimble full of petrol. Went to Woodlands road, gone(i think another getting built in its place? Also it handily had a sign saying "nearest shell garage Dennistoun"!) then went to Great western rd, near Park rd and again gone. There was also the one on the broomielaw which went a year or two back and the one in Polmadie. Not one station between my flat in the Gorbals and my work in Finnieston. Just about made it to the one near the art galleries on Argyll st.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:51 am

If you know you're going to need to fill up soon, have a look at http://www.aapetrolbusters.com - not only will it tell you which petrol stations are still open, but which ones are cheaper. Quite handy to save yourself 30p a tank...
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)