Demolition of yet another Glasgow School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Demolition of yet another Glasgow School

Postby malcysmith » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi there,

Have not posted much recently, but back with a request!

Regardless of divides of allegiances, I feel this is shocking that yet another school is to be demolished. Soon, there will be virtually none of this type remaining in Glasgow City.

For those that have not read, Celtic Football Club plan to demolish the perfectly sound primary school on London Road and build a hideous property in its place.

The relevant links are below.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ ... 8_0708.pdf

Item Numbers - : 12/01359/DC and 12/01360/DC

I would urge all interested parties to make their thoughts known to Historic Scotland, the Council and your local Councillors.

Thanks!
malcysmith
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Demolition of yet another Glasgow School

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:04 am

It does look a bit odd just sitting there beside Celtic Park and across from the Velodrome. I'd imagine that pub is going too that is next to the school?
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 am

Who owns the School ?

Can you post the drawings for the hideous property you mention ?
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 am

I suspect it belongs to the City Council or City Property. I don't know the exact relationship between the two and it may simply be that City Property act as agents for the Council.

If you stick London Road School into Google image search there's pics and links to the proposed building.

It'd be unfortunate if no more than the City's need for proceeds from the sale coloured any decision re allowing a B Listed building to be demolished. This http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/908430 looks like the buildings in question.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

The linked article notes the obstacles to the scheme notably the fact that the building is listed and ...

The document notes that it is "unlikely" the first stage of the works, including the demolition of the school and the creation of the avenue leading to the stadium, would be complete time for the opening ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, which will be held at Celtic Park.

Planners are hopeful of having further discussions with Games organisers over how the works could be phased in because they have "introduced a moratorium against construction in the vicinity of the stadium for six months prior to the event" coupled with the usage of Parkhead for football games during the next two years.

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/116827-celt ... -parkhead/

Nevertheless, GCC has always been fairly understanding when it comes to development around Celtic Park. In 1993, as part of the expansion of the stadium, the council houses in Janefield, Kerrydale and Dalriada Streets were demolished and the residents re-housed because the new Stadium blocked out their light and interfered with their TV receptions. Council tax payers footed the bill for this as the land was sold to Celtic Plc for a penny. The cost to the council in terms of resettlement grants to the 300 or so families living in the houses, the demolition of said houses and ground clearance was conservatively estimated at £1.25 million.

It will, therefore, be interesting to see if the relevant authorities are equally understanding when it comes to surmounting the obstacles noted above.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I am not a Celtic fan, I grew up supporting that other great Glasgow team which is now a cornerstone of the Bars Irn Bru 3rd Division (bottom left corner or thereabouts currently).

However, I would welcome a football museum. Anything that contributes to the East End as visitor attraction other than on match days could be a good thing. The old school is hardly an architectural treasure. It looks completely out of context with its surroundings. Because it is a big lump of red Sandstone and is as old as my dead Granny does not make it interesting.

I see from the buildings at risk link :

“13 August 2012: Urban Realm reports plans to demolish the former school in favour of a new build superstore, museum, theatre, cafe and ticket office aimed to contribute to a new 'stadium quarter'.”

Sounds good to me – big lump of red Sandstone that could not be used for much these days other than a business units or “stadium quarter”.

I would like to see what is planned for the “stadium quarter”.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 am

Socceroo wrote:I would like to see what is planned for the “stadium quarter”.

Stadiums? Or maybe stadia?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:06 am

I think you may find that there is already one there.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Why does the football stadium quarter need to be a brand new build? Could the school not be encoroprated or am I being too clever by half???

Mr Confused Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

mrsam wrote:Why does the football stadium quarter need to be a brand new build? Could the school not be encoroprated or am I being too clever by half???

Mr Confused Sam

It's usually very costly to refurbish and convert a building that was originally designed for another purpose. But not necessarily more expensive than a good quality high spec new build. My thoughts are that the Architects are looking to lose the School building primarily for aesthetic reasons rather than cost.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 am

Socceroo wrote:I think you may find that there is already one there.

My point, kinda.

Two, even. (I'd call the velodrome a stadium, no?)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby An Taigh Sear 14 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 am

I attended London Road primary in the late 60's and early seventies. Is it definately for demolition? That saddens me.

Although I favour the blue half of Glasgow, I have many fond memories of "Watch your motor mister?" on Celtic match days.
I also remember going back and forward to the school from nearby Williamson Street and running on the spot waiting for the lights to change beside me was the likes of wee Jimmy Johnstone, Harry Hood and Jim Brogan on their way back from their training ground at Westhorn Park.

London Road school was badly damaged by fire one year I was there and we were sent to Dalmarnock Primary for a spell.
I wonder if that is still standing too?
An Taigh Sear 14
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)