Duke Street Prison

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Duke Street Prison

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:10 am

Hi jaffamuffin, your luck's right in as I'm the festive monitor looking out for waifs and strays.
Where was Duke Street prison? Here's a clue.

HollowHorn wrote:As far as I know, the only remaining part of the wall is in the Drygate. You really can't miss it, it's all of 20 ft. high. The only other remaining part of the prison is the building which now houses the Cathedral House Hotel, which used to be the halfway house for women prisoners awaiting release back into society. I could be wrong here, it may have housed women with children. I really should read this whole thread again. ::): The small walls on Duke St. & John Knox St. only mark the original position of the prison walls.

What was the name of the station. Here's another clue.

I almost forgot the building in A7. There's a clue here
Need any more help? Try here.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 am

cumbo wrote:by cumbo on Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:18 am
Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi will be delighted that after 4 years he is getting deported back to Libya :D

How the fuck did you know this way back then Cumbo? Christ you must have a hotline direct to 10 Downing Street.

Well done.

What about the 2.30 the morra?
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jaffamuffin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:29 am

Fantastic. Unfortunately google maps doesn't go round the Drygate so I'll need to take a shufty when I next pass by that area.

Thank's for the linkage on the Eastern Mill, been bugging me for years what that was.

I see the derelict wall of the station is what remains of the goods warehouse.
Last edited by jaffamuffin on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaffamuffin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:37 am

My old man had the pleasure of knocking it down. 1961 or thereabouts, craneman with Whatlings.
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:24 am

jaffamuffin wrote:1. Where exactly was Duke street prison? And where is the wall with the bullet holes?

Thanks, Dex.

As to the wall with the bullet holes : check the post prior to your original one, jaffa. If they're bullet holes, we're all monkeys' uncles. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotthiggy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:20 am

According to the book "High Noon on High Street" the shoot-out took place near the top of High Street, just across the street and before where the Barony Church/Rottenrow is.There is a stretch of high wall that runs from High St to Duke St here, but it is full of dimples etc. Nothing that loks like bullit holes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32935908@N07
scotthiggy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby floweredpig » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:55 pm

scotthiggy wrote:According to the book "High Noon on High Street" the shoot-out took place near the top of High Street, just across the street and before where the Barony Church/Rottenrow is.There is a stretch of high wall that runs from High St to Duke St here, but it is full of dimples etc. Nothing that loks like bullit holes.

Made by Steve McQueen?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotthiggy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:24 pm

floweredpig wrote:
scotthiggy wrote:According to the book "High Noon on High Street" the shoot-out took place near the top of High Street, just across the street and before where the Barony Church/Rottenrow is.There is a stretch of high wall that runs from High St to Duke St here, but it is full of dimples etc. Nothing that loks like bullit holes.

Made by Steve McQueen?

..sorry, bullet holes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32935908@N07
scotthiggy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marshfield » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Hi jaffamuffin, your luck's right in as I'm the festive monitor looking out for waifs and strays.
Where was Duke Street prison? Here's a clue.

HollowHorn wrote:As far as I know, the only remaining part of the wall is in the Drygate. You really can't miss it, it's all of 20 ft. high. The only other remaining part of the prison is the building which now houses the Cathedral House Hotel, which used to be the halfway house for women prisoners awaiting release back into society. I could be wrong here, it may have housed women with children. I really should read this whole thread again. ::): The small walls on Duke St. & John Knox St. only mark the original position of the prison walls.

What was the name of the station. Here's another clue.

The station at the top of High Street before the corner with Duke Street was High Street Station, passenger traffic, the line ran from Airdrie to Helensburgh, next stop was Queen Street and the previous was Bellgrove
to the left on the corner there was a large warehouse, when I worked there it was called Associated Deliveries, and the building in A7 was the Great Eastern Hotel (doss house laterly) and opposite was Duke Street Prison hope it helps

I almost forgot the building in A7. There's a clue here
Need any more help? Try here.
marshfield
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 pm

marshfield wrote:
The station at the top of High Street before the corner with Duke Street was High Street Station, passenger traffic, the line ran from Airdrie to Helensburgh, next stop was Queen Street and the previous was Bellgrove
to the left on the corner there was a large warehouse, when I worked there it was called Associated Deliveries, and the building in A7 was the Great Eastern Hotel (doss house laterly) and opposite was Duke Street Prison hope it helps

Careful with the Quote function marshfield. Thanks for your contribution. Was High Street Pops or (Tops) record shop there in your day.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marshfield » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:12 pm

oops, what'd I do, trying to find my way around(what does the quote do)is it for repeating what someone else said?
I remember shops and a cafe opposite, not much else, this was 1964
I beginning to forget what happened yesterday and remembering years ago not reached 1963 yet!!
marshfield
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby spaceshuttle » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:52 pm

There is an umberrela stand at Glasgow Women's Library on Berkely Street which is said to have been painted by the Suffragettes at Duke Street Prison. Shall I take a picture and send it to you? :)
Life is a moment in time to be enjoyed
spaceshuttle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Is that it?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cathy52 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:47 pm

hi what kind of crimes would woman have commited in the 1911's to be jailed in duke street womans prison. :?
cathy52
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 pm

The National Records of Scotland (NRS) holds many records relating to crime and criminals. Ironically, you are more likely to find information about someone who committed a crime than those who were respectable, law-abiding citizens. Information about crime and criminals may be found in records of the inquiries into the criminal cases, the records of criminal courts, and prison records.

Criminals and prisoners

The NRS holds prison records from the Scottish Prison Service (SPS) and earlier bodies which had responsibility for prisons, including the Prison Commission for Scotland and the Scottish Office Home and Health Department. The main records are the prison registers (NRS ref. HH21), which generally note particulars of the trial and sentence for each inmate as well as personal details such as place of birth, occupation, age, height, and religion. A small number of prison registers contain photographs of prisoners. These have been digitised and are available on Virtual Volumes in the Historical Search Room and the ScotlandsPeople search rooms.

Few prison registers are indexed but basic details are found on the NRS electronic catalogue. A list of prison registers is given below. Note that the dates given are covering dates, there may be some gaps in the records, and recent records remain exempt from release under Freedom of Information.

The list given includes Glasgow (Duke Street) 1845-1955 .

More at http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/crime.asp#criminals
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)