Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Duke Street Prison Images

Postby gordonuk » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:01 pm

The image was taken in April 1959

[quote="Pgcc93"][quote="gordonuk"]Images of Duke St Prison.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/gordonuk/g023046x.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Fantastic images Gordon 8) Do you know roughly when the above pic was taken? Looks very abandoned.

Had we been born! Some of us around here would have crawled over broken glass to get a look in there back in the day?! :D[/quote]
gordonuk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:Quite like the flogging table
Fossil

Quite advanced for its day, note the double cup holders on the left. One for the flogger and one for the flogee. No doubt for extended endurance sessions.

Looking closer, the table is double sided, so for the guy on the other side, the cups would be on the right.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:19 am

Gordon this is really excellent material and 'not a lot of people know about it'! The nearest my enquiries took me was suggestions that archive material would have been with the Scottish Prison Service; and therefore by implication, to be somewhere in Edinburgh or Perth. However, as a mere amateur I found the Service not very forthcoming. In fact they have an air of "why don't you come to the station to talk about this unusual interest of yours sir?". It's great that you have sourced the/an Edinburgh location at the University. I have picked up a couple of new lines from your material already; for example I did not know that the prison hostel was where it was, although I did know enough to correct folks who thought it was the residential block on the Duke Street frontage. I'll need to do a lot of poring over your material and come back to on some things if I can... Meantime - Fossil, give that boy a Crackerjack Pencil!
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jimmy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:40 pm

gordonuk wrote:Images of Duke St Prison.
......Image 5,6,7,8 - Images of Prison......
All images are from the library at University of Edinburgh while researching for my thesis on criminal law.

Hello Gordon

I am the owner of picture number 8 (view of High St Goods Yard from Ladywell flats in Duke Street)

This is the first I have heard of the University of Edinburgh library holding a copy of my photo, unless they copied it from the internet. I would be very interested in hearing more if they are holding a hard copy of it in their archive. Can you please let me know the reference number they index the photo under and which library it is held in?

I am more than happy for the photo to be used on Hidden Glasgow only providing you display it resized to approx 350 by 280. If it is not possible for you to resize it, please delete it from your photobucket account. Please DO NOT use or reproduce the image elsewhere, including academic research.

'Jimmy'
jimmy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby gordonuk » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:43 pm

This picture is in the public domain and not accredited to anyone. I have mentioned that I got it from Edinburgh uni library and under international copyright I have stated this.
If you think you own this image I suggest you contact the university direct and prove this is your image.
Do not try and claim something to be yours without proof, if it really is yours your name should be watermarked on the image.
I will not remove the image as i have done nothing wrong and as for resizing the image, what kind of drugs are you on, it makes no sense to resize it unless its for your own perverse gratification.

[quote="jimmy"][quote="gordonuk"]Images of Duke St Prison.
All images are from the library at University of Edinburgh while researching for my thesis on criminal law.
[/quote]

Hello Gordon

I am the owner of picture number 8 (view of High St Goods Yard from Ladywell flats in Duke Street)

This is the first I have heard of the University of Edinburgh library holding a copy of my photo, unless they copied it from the internet. I would be very interested in hearing more if they are holding a hard copy of it in their archive. Can you please let me know the reference number they index the photo under and which library it is held in?

I am more than happy for the photo to be used on Hidden Glasgow [b][u]only[/u][/b] providing you display it resized to approx 350 by 280. If it is not possible for you to resize it, please delete it from your photobucket account. Please DO NOT use or reproduce the image elsewhere, including academic research.

'Jimmy'[/quote]
gordonuk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jimmy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:11 pm

gordonuk wrote:This picture is in the public domain and not accredited to anyone. I have mentioned that I got it from Edinburgh uni library and under international copyright I have stated this.
If you think you own this image I suggest you contact the university direct and prove this is your image.
Do not try and claim something to be yours without proof, if it really is yours your name should be watermarked on the image.
I will not remove the image as i have done nothing wrong and as for resizing the image, what kind of drugs are you on, it makes no sense to resize it unless its for your own perverse gratification.

jimmy wrote:
gordonuk wrote:Images of Duke St Prison.

Hello Gordon

I am more than happy for the photo to be used on Hidden Glasgow only providing you display it resized to approx 350 by 280. If it is not possible for you to resize it, please delete it from your photobucket account. Please DO NOT use or reproduce the image elsewhere, including academic research.

'Jimmy'

Gordon,

I got your private message, and to answer your question in the PM, no I am not some kind of w@nker.

I merely want to know how on earth a copy of a photograph I own got into the archives of a Library at Edinburgh University. Is that unreasonable?

I was politely asking you how the University have referenced the photo. With the relevant reference number, I can contact them and find out how they managed to obtain a copy. As a serious researcher you will of course have kept a reference to all your research material, and will know the number this refers to in the Uni archives, or wherever the photo is kept.

Material in a University library is NOT public domain.

Irrespective of who you believe the owner of the photo is, the simple fact is that it is NOT YOURS! I have THE PHOTO and NEGATIVE in a drawer in the next room to where I am sitting now.

Anyone who has ever had any of their work 'pinched' and published, will understand why I want it resized. I am a very regular reader of HG forums and really appreciate what goes on here, I am glad to have the image on here - I want to share it - but on my terms.

I would rather you did the decent thing and resized it your end (ie photobucket), rather than me having to ask Sharon et al, to go to the bother of having it removed alltogether, which is not really in the spirit of Hidden Glasgow.

It is a good community here Gordon, try showing some respect.
jimmy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:46 pm

View of High St Goods Yard from Ladywell flats, Duke St:

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Maryhill Lad » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:57 pm

Seems to be some problem with links to photobucket on this thread. Either missing images ( maybe edited by admin ), or brokern links. Also, ermmm a somewhat off topic pic within the group posted by GordonUK on 17 Dec 8O
Maryhill Lad
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:42 pm

Off-topic is an understatement :D
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:13 pm

Here are the missing pics, courtesy of gordonuk :wink: :D

Image 1 - Rear of Prision

Image 2 - Police van in Prision

Image 3 - Bell

Image 4 - Map of old Glasgow and Duke St

Image 5,6,7 - Images of Prison

Image 8 - Painting of rear of Prision

Image 9,10,11,12 - Images of cells and torture equipment

Image 13 - Duke St Prision Hostel
Last edited by crusty_bint on Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:14 pm

Image 14 - Stonework on Prison Gates

Image 15 - Prision Gates

Image 16 - Prison Wall

Image 17,18,19,20 - Views of the Prison

Image 21 - Inside prison, Cells

Image 22 - View of prison

Image 23 - Aerial view of prison
crusty_bint
-
-

You know who you are

Postby gordonuk » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:10 am

The person that cracked their way into my account here and photobucket account please stop it, you know who you are.

It is not apprectaied at all and is giving me a bad name.
gordonuk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)